Chrysler warns potential Hellcat customers

Started by SVT666, March 03, 2015, 09:45:11 AM

SVT666

When any high-demand, low-volume automobile hits the market, you can almost guarantee some form of dealer gouging. The Dodge Charger and Challenger Hellcat models are no exception, with parent company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles issuing a new warning to potential buyers about unscrupulous dealers.

According to FCA, the vast majority of its Dodge dealers are handling the limited rollout of the twin Hellcat models very well, but there have been a few bad apples. According to the automaker, some dealers "have accepted large numbers of SRT Hellcat orders without regard to available supply and without advising their customers that orders may not be filled, if at all, for many months or longer."

Worse yet, those dealers appear to be taking deposits for cars that may never materialize. FCA says the violations are serious enough that they might constitute a breach of the Dealer's Sales and Service Agreement.

In order to help avoid any conflicts, FCA released a scheduling chart to explain how Hellcats are distributed. The rules basically state that any dealer with a Hellcat in stock can't order any additional units, even if it's for a customer order. Eligible dealers are also limited to one Hellcat per month (either a Charger or Challenger, not both), so any given dealer can only sell 12 Hellcats per year.

Bottom line, if you're in the market for a Charger or Challenger Hellcat, make sure to ask plenty of questions before plunking down your hard-earned cash.

FlatBlackCaddy

Manufacturer direct, It might happen some day.

I'd much rather goto a web store, pick my options, see the final car and pay for it there.

Payman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 03, 2015, 10:09:01 AM

I'd much rather goto a web store, pick my options, see the final car and pay for it there.

I like the idea, but what do you do for a recall and or warranty work?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rockraven on March 03, 2015, 10:16:56 AM

Manufacturer owned repair facilities.

Think apple iStores. Instead of having a dealer in every town you could have a Manufacturer store every 30-40 miles(obviously more in dense areas). You could view products, have products fixed and pick up your ordered vehicle there.

NomisR

Quote from: Rockraven on March 03, 2015, 10:16:56 AM

What do you do with Teslas? 

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 03, 2015, 10:18:38 AM
Manufacturer owned repair facilities.

Think apple iStores. Instead of having a dealer in every town you could have a Manufacturer store every 30-40 miles(obviously more in dense areas). You could view products, have products fixed and pick up your ordered vehicle there.
I really like that idea.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT666 on March 03, 2015, 11:19:53 AM
I really like that idea.

A lot of people would probably like that idea, including the manufacturer. Sadly, much like the unions did, the dealership laws continue to cripple the advance of the automotive industry.

Payman

Quote from: NomisR on March 03, 2015, 10:19:33 AM

Pep Boys, IIRC. Making local garages authorized repair depots would be a great idea.

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on March 03, 2015, 12:00:18 PM
Pep Boys, IIRC. Making local garages authorized repair depots would be a great idea.
Pep Boys doing warranty work?  Those clowns can't fix a sandwich much less a car.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 03, 2015, 12:12:54 PM
Pep Boys doing warranty work?  Those clowns can't fix a sandwich much less a car.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 03, 2015, 10:09:01 AM

Thug franchise and antitrust laws are deep and wide.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 03, 2015, 01:58:26 PM
Thug franchise and antitrust laws are deep and wide.

I don't know how or if they can ever be broken. It seems that a company like tesla(new manufacturer) is the only way one can get around it. And even they barely made it, I recall hearing about several lawsuits from the ADA(or whatever dealer group) because tesla didn't want to sell his cars through a bunch of plaid suited theifs.

RomanChariot

Quote from: NomisR on March 03, 2015, 10:19:33 AM
I saw a Tesla being hauled on a flatbed truck with Tesla placards on the doors and California plates. This was in Salt Lake City, UT and the truck was heading South. It appears that major work may involve sending the car back to the manufacturer.

hotrodalex

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 03, 2015, 02:27:07 PM
I saw a Tesla being hauled on a flatbed truck with Tesla placards on the doors and California plates. This was in Salt Lake City, UT and the truck was heading South. It appears that major work may involve sending the car back to the manufacturer.

I don't think Tesla has a dealer or garage in Utah.

They have their little dealerships, half the time in a mall, where they have one Model X in the showroom and then you can order your own. Then they have a separate service center.