Farewell to my Enclave

Started by veeman, March 23, 2015, 09:02:47 AM

Laconian

QX60 and MDX... too small?!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CJ

I have to pass a few dozen QX80s on my way up the parking garage at work. They're just massive...but it's the only Infiniti I'd buy. Good choice,

veeman

Quote from: Laconian on June 25, 2015, 01:22:15 PM
QX60 and MDX... too small?!

There is roomy and there is really roomy.  Minivan has even more space but... there's a reason luxury makes haven't sold minivans in the U.S.  It's a style testosterone thing.  At this price point, gas is too cheap here to make much difference and the roads are wide enough here to accommodate the big SUVs.  Also high speed handling, better suited to a European luxury wagon than a big SUV, is moot here because the speed limits are kept low and heavily enforced.  Also they don't tax the shit out of bigger engines here like they do in Europe. 

I was in London for a week in April and rented a Ford Mondeo.  That car felt big for London.  I could hardly keep it from rubbing up against the curbs.  The QX56/QX80 would be a real pain in the ass there.

I would have been O.K with a Kia Sedona but my wife didn't want a minivan.  The QX60 and MDX are noticeably smaller than the QX56/QX80.  Having ridden in the QX60 and QX80 back to back, the QX80 feels like a much more expensive vehicle.  A lot of that has to do with just how much bigger it is.  It's like comparing the MB S-class to the MB E-class assuming all of the bells and whistles are equal. 

veeman

I turned in my QX56 to the dealer about 10 days ago for them to fix the small dent in the front bumper and repaint over small scratches in the front bumper and rear bumper.  When I went to buy it, the salesman offered me 350 dollars off list because of the small dent and I said "no"... they would have to fix the small dent and paint over the small scratches.  The salesman agreed and it was put into the sales contract.  As I was about to drive off the lot, I noticed that two cigarette lighter outlets in the center console area weren't working (I put my cell phone jack into all of the outlets), and I had them include that in the contract as well - that when the dealer did the minor body work they would fix those as well.  Those are under warranty anyways but I wanted them to have them working as part of the contract of sale.

So I brought the car back to them two weeks after I bought it and they gave me a G37x loaner.  Has about 2,000 miles on it.  Having never owned a sporty sedan before, this is a real nice car.  Handles awesome and acceleration is great.  Last weekend took it on a two hour trip with the family to a water park.

So now my question is - Why haven't they contacted me yet after 10 days?  My wife has been driving their nice loaner car for free for 10 days so I almost don't want to call them, but... it's a bit odd.   

SJ_GTI

Quote from: veeman on July 16, 2015, 11:18:24 AM
I turned in my QX56 to the dealer about 10 days ago for them to fix the small dent in the front bumper and repaint over small scratches in the front bumper and rear bumper.  When I went to buy it, the salesman offered me 350 dollars off list because of the small dent and I said "no"... they would have to fix the small dent and paint over the small scratches.  The salesman agreed and it was put into the sales contract.  As I was about to drive off the lot, I noticed that two cigarette lighter outlets in the center console area weren't working (I put my cell phone jack into all of the outlets), and I had them include that in the contract as well - that when the dealer did the minor body work they would fix those as well.  Those are under warranty anyways but I wanted them to have them working as part of the contract of sale.

So I brought the car back to them two weeks after I bought it and they gave me a G37x loaner.  Has about 2,000 miles on it.  Having never owned a sporty sedan before, this is a real nice car.  Handles awesome and acceleration is great.  Last weekend took it on a two hour trip with the family to a water park.

So now my question is - Why haven't they contacted me yet after 10 days?  My wife has been driving their nice loaner car for free for 10 days so I almost don't want to call them, but... it's a bit odd.   

If there is any painting involved I can see it taking a while. I think it took the dealer about 2 weeks to fix my transmission when it wasn't working (had a Q7 loaner while my car was in the shop).

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on July 16, 2015, 11:18:24 AM

loaner doesn't cost them anything really, so unless you show you need it back they might take their sweet time?
Will

GoCougs

Save for maybe the WRX the G37 just might be the last great Japanese car.

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on July 17, 2015, 12:30:53 PM
Save for maybe the WRX the G37 just might be the last great Japanese car.

You like the new WRX that much?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on July 17, 2015, 12:48:03 PM
You like the new WRX that much?

No, not really. I mean, it's okay, but I'm too grumpy now to put up with that ride and road noise. I just recognize that it has an enthusiastic following and it's still produced.

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on July 17, 2015, 09:29:31 PM
I just recognize that it has an enthusiastic following and it's still produced.

The Miata doesn't count? 

You heathen  :heated:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ifcar

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 17, 2015, 09:51:56 PM
The Miata doesn't count? 

No, cars only count if they're fun to drive on paper.

FlatBlackCaddy

Just read the thread, i find it odd you never looked at any Lexus'.

I think the 56/80s are badass, might be the most truely luxurious vehicle infiniti sells.

veeman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 18, 2015, 08:38:14 AM
Just read the thread, i find it odd you never looked at any Lexus'.

I think the 56/80s are badass, might be the most truely luxurious vehicle infiniti sells.

Lexus RX new design I dig.  Much smaller than what I was looking for and doesn't have a third row.  Lexus GX - I don't really know much about.  Hardly ever see any.  It's basically a luxed up 4-Runner I thouht.  Lexus LX is close to 100 thousand new I thought.  Great SUV, as is the Land Cruiser, but more than I wanted to spend.  Although I didn't research it, I have a feeling the Land Cruiser/LX doesn't depreciate as much as the Infintis on the certified market.

ifcar

Yeah, the GX is a lot smaller, and the LX/Land Cruiser has gotten pretty dated. For what you were looking for, I think you got the best of the breed.

GoCougs

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 17, 2015, 09:51:56 PM
The Miata doesn't count? 

Welp, to be fair, it hasn't been produced for a while, and is only to be restarted later this year.

Rich

It's been around longer then the rex and the G

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on July 19, 2015, 07:04:22 AM
Welp, to be fair, it hasn't been produced for a while, and is only to be restarted later this year.

It didn't skip a model year, and the '16s are already well into production and arriving in the U.S.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on July 19, 2015, 07:04:22 AM

Lol fair
Will

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 19, 2015, 07:09:31 AM
It's been around longer then the rex and the G

As much as I've tried I've just never been able to get on the Miata bandwagon. I've never liked convertibles and only in MY2016 has it FINALLY passed the Camcord test (as in, to be considered "great" a so-called performance car has to be at least equal in acceleration to an equivalent year Camcord V6) so perhaps things will change (though we'll see - the Camcords have been rocking the same V6 for almost 10 years now).

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on July 20, 2015, 07:41:23 PM
As much as I've tried I've just never been able to get on the Miata bandwagon. I've never liked convertibles and only in MY2016 has it FINALLY passed the Camcord test (as in, to be considered "great" a so-called performance car has to be at least equal in acceleration to an equivalent year Camcord V6) so perhaps things will change (though we'll see - the Camcords have been rocking the same V6 for almost 10 years now).

Aw mannnn, but you just talked aboot enthusiastic following and that it's still produced 'bout the Rex. 

Quote from: GoCougs on July 17, 2015, 09:29:31 PM
I just recognize that it has an enthusiastic following and it's still produced.

And yeah it's slow.  But so is a golf cart on a trail in the woods, but both are still a hoot to drive. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on July 20, 2015, 12:04:22 PM
Wat. They never skipped the 2015 model year.... :confused:

I was LOLing at Cougs' using the word 'fair'..

(he's off his rocker most of the time, including this instance)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Will

GoCougs

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 21, 2015, 03:15:30 AM
Aw mannnn, but you just talked aboot enthusiastic following and that it's still produced 'bout the Rex. 

And yeah it's slow.  But so is a golf cart on a trail in the woods, but both are still a hoot to drive. 

The Civic coupe has had an enthusiastic following for quite some time too ;).

veeman

Got my car back.  They fixed the front bumper real nice so that it looks new.  I know that cost them a lot more than $350 (what they had originally offered off sales price because of minor dent and scratches).  They left the minor scratches on the back bumper corner.  After an hour of speaking to a few different people about it, I let it go.  It was in the contract of sale but they said they would have to have the entire bumper repainted for the repair to not look more noticeable than it is now.  I had a feeling they would do some shit work at the dealership rather than take it back to the body shop if I continued to press them on it, so I let it go.  Overall, I'm happy with them and the results.  Sad to no longer use their G37X for free.