How much should a trailer hitch cost, installed

Started by Laconian, April 01, 2015, 02:28:21 PM

BimmerM3

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 09, 2015, 12:21:48 AM
Uhaul won't even let you put an Explorer on one of their trailers.

Wait, seriously? I wasn't planning on doing that anyway, but LOL.

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 08, 2015, 05:44:55 AM
Yeah but if idiots have made it too expensive for Uhaul to rent to Explorer owners...    :huh:
It has nothing to do with idiots. It was all about the old Firestone tires that could blowout.  I have an '07 Explorer and I can't rent a U-Haul trailer even though we are on our 3rd set of tires since we bought it and none of them have ever been Firestone, never mind the Firestone tires in question.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on April 09, 2015, 12:05:21 PM

It has nothing to do with idiots. It was all about the old Firestone tires that could blowout.  I have an '07 Explorer and I can't rent a U-Haul trailer even though we are on our 3rd set of tires since we bought it and none of them have ever been Firestone, never mind the Firestone tires in question.

I found this blurb in an Autoblog article:

According to a spokesperson for U-Haul that spoke to Consumer Reports, it's company policy to deny trailer rentals to Explorer owners. Why? Lawyers. Says Joanne Fried, director of media and corporate relations, "Every time we go to hire an attorney to defend a lawsuit, as soon as we say 'Ford Explorer,' they charge us more money."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SVT666 on April 09, 2015, 12:05:21 PM

It has nothing to do with idiots. It was all about the old Firestone tires that could blowout.

Only an idiot would still be using those tires.

Only an idiot would think that the cars were rolling only because of a tire blowout. Only an idiot would completely lose control of their vehicle in a blowout.

Idiots. :lol:
Will

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 09, 2015, 12:26:22 PM
Only an idiot would still be using those tires.
There isn't a single person still using those tires.  Even if it was possible to still be using tires that old without having to replace them by now, they were all recalled.

QuoteOnly an idiot would think that the cars were rolling only because of a tire blowout. Only an idiot would completely lose control of their vehicle in a blowout.

Idiots. :lol:
Since blowouts happen to all kinds of vehicles, including Explorers, why have none rolled or lost control since all this was in the news 8 years ago?  Obviously the few Firestones that did blow blew quite violently.  If it wasn't the tire, then there would be issues with all kinds of rollovers because of blowouts still to this day.

AutobahnSHO

my points exactly. Which means it's idiotic for Uhaul to not rent trailers to Explorer drivers.
Will

Laconian

Husband installed the hitch himself today. The only hard part was reattaching the bumper. Those bumper clips are quite finicky!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on April 09, 2015, 02:12:09 PM
There isn't a single person still using those tires.  Even if it was possible to still be using tires that old without having to replace them by now, they were all recalled.
Since blowouts happen to all kinds of vehicles, including Explorers, why have none rolled or lost control since all this was in the news 8 years ago?  Obviously the few Firestones that did blow blew quite violently.  If it wasn't the tire, then there would be issues with all kinds of rollovers because of blowouts still to this day.

Well, I have driven successfully many times on tires older than that, so its possible.

But nobody should be doing it, and if they did and had a blow out it would be their own damned fault.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on April 23, 2015, 07:50:14 PM
Husband installed the hitch himself today. The only hard part was reattaching the bumper. Those bumper clips are quite finicky!

Seem he's handy.

Buy him a boat.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

I just checked and while the 1997 Ford Explorer is a no-go, the 1997 Mercury Mountaineer is no problem. :lol:

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

J86

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 25, 2015, 09:07:15 AM
I just checked and while the 1997 Ford Explorer is a no-go, the 1997 Mercury Mountaineer is no problem. :lol:

Tape mercury badges on the front and back.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 23, 2015, 07:50:14 PM

did you help at all??

We got tax refund- going to go buy a hitch for Odyssey. And I think I'll get the bigger receiver and light kit- just in case we ever want to tow.
Will