Best do-everything car for <$50k?

Started by MrH, May 04, 2015, 08:40:39 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on November 17, 2015, 10:05:02 AM
Not yet.  I'm still really sore about the whole thing and I don't feel like talking about it yet.
I feel your pain! Buying/Building a house is the worse experience EVER!!! I've never been put throught so many changes to buy ANYTHING in my life! SMH!!!   :rage: :partyon:

Quote from: Rupert on November 18, 2015, 03:24:44 PM
As if you don't have a choice in boat ownership... ;)
The two best days in a boat owners life is the day he gets his new boat and the day he sells it......

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on November 18, 2015, 03:28:24 PM
Save with trucks. Higher seating is better in traffic. Large size keeps people from cutting you off (in some places). Some people like the feeling of power.

I can agree to that.  I'd say that those aren't things that I value, but I couldn't say that no one does or should value them.  Fair point, well made. 

I am curious about SUV ownership.  The last time I drove an SUV was 17 years ago (yes, I was 12; I've driven a few minivans since then, but that's hardly the same thing, even if some SUVs are basically the same thing), I wonder if I would enjoy having one as a second car for bad weather.  I still think I'd prefer an AWD hatch, wagon, or sedan to an AWD SUV, because I don't really like the feeling of being up high, but there are definitely times when an SUV's height, shape, and space really put it ahead of wagons. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 18, 2015, 04:29:40 PM
I do. I love my boat.

Boats are cool.  I like being on the water.  For the most part. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on November 22, 2015, 03:59:21 PM
I can agree to that.  I'd say that those aren't things that I value, but I couldn't say that no one does or should value them.  Fair point, well made. 

I am curious about SUV ownership.  The last time I drove an SUV was 17 years ago (yes, I was 12; I've driven a few minivans since then, but that's hardly the same thing, even if some SUVs are basically the same thing), I wonder if I would enjoy having one as a second car for bad weather.  I still think I'd prefer an AWD hatch, wagon, or sedan to an AWD SUV, because I don't really like the feeling of being up high, but there are definitely times when an SUV's height, shape, and space really put it ahead of wagons.
I prefer my G37x in bad weather over my Explorer because it's center of gravity is so much lower. It's far more confident is slippery conditions.

MrH

Woman's parents have two sequoias (one at home in Ohio, the other at the vacation home in Florida). Love driving those things. Total tanks. They're fun in their own way.

I'd like to have both a tank and sports car.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

The last domino has fallen :(
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Cookie Monster

As much as I hate on bigger vehicles, I LOVED cruising in my 4Runner. I wish I could get another but they're hard to find in good condition.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Gotta-Qik-C7

I'm thinking the same thing as we speak! I want a winter vehicle with AWD but I also want to pull a small trailer. I've had me eye on some "Cute Utes" (First Gen Escape/Tribute,S10 Crew cabs, Second gen S10 Blazers) in the 3K range.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CALL_911

Quote from: thecarnut on November 22, 2015, 07:33:24 PM
As much as I hate on bigger vehicles, I LOVED cruising in my 4Runner. I wish I could get another but they're hard to find in good condition.

Yeah man, huge SUVs are the shit to cruise around in. I never got the appeal of them until I drove a Yukon XL from Long Island to Buffalo. Thing drank fuel, but it was the shit. If I had a chauffeur and $$$$, I'd forego an S-class/7er and get a Suburban LTZ or a Yukon Denali. They're great.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on November 22, 2015, 07:33:24 PM

Wait.  You don't have a 4Runner anymore?  Or did I know that.  I don't think I knew that.  I think I 90% didn't know and 10% forgot you had one, so in essence...whaaaaaaat.

giant_mtb

You'd be fine with an AWD hatch or wagon.  If there's enough snow that an AWD wagon can't be on the roads, chances are just about nobody's doing shit that day anyway.  Save yourself some gas and tire money.

Unless you want/need utility for towing/hauling or the extra room.

Rupert

If I could get away with a pickup or a wagon, I would.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CaminoRacer

I'm a big fan of Sprinter vans, especially a 4x4. Can tow a trailer, go off-road, and have plenty of room to sleep in the back. Would be a great back-country surf trip vehicle.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 22, 2015, 07:20:49 PM
The last domino has fallen :(

How so? I don't actually have an SUV. And if I ever were to buy one, it would only be an occasional use vehicle. I still prefer a sports car, sedan, hatch, or wagon. But SUVs do have their appeal in a way. Maybe I've been watching too much Top Gear SUV episodes lately.

No way would I give up a sports car for an SUV. I'd much rather have only a sports car than only an SUV, which I think I've demonstrated. Hell, even when I get myself a sedan or hatch in a couple of years, that will be the second car, to be used when raining more heavily than is advisable to drive in roof down or when the temperature drops below 40 on surface streets or 45 and sunny on the highway.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on November 22, 2015, 07:46:01 PM
I'm thinking the same thing as we speak! I want a winter vehicle with AWD but I also want to pull a small trailer. I've had me eye on some "Cute Utes" (First Gen Escape/Tribute,S10 Crew cabs, Second gen S10 Blazers) in the 3K range.

I've been looking into going halfsies with my brother on a used X3 for the house. Between the Z4 and the S4, we don't have a lot of options for moving furniture and the like.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 22, 2015, 08:14:16 PM
You'd be fine with an AWD hatch or wagon.  If there's enough snow that an AWD wagon can't be on the roads, chances are just about nobody's doing shit that day anyway.  Save yourself some gas and tire money.

Unless you want/need utility for towing/hauling or the extra room.

Nah, I really don't foresee any situation where I'd need an SUV over a wagon or hatch.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on November 22, 2015, 10:44:17 PM
How so? I don't actually have an SUV. And if I ever were to buy one, it would only be an occasional use vehicle. I still prefer a sports car, sedan, hatch, or wagon. But SUVs do have their appeal in a way. Maybe I've been watching too much Top Gear SUV episodes lately.

No way would I give up a sports car for an SUV. I'd much rather have only a sports car than only an SUV, which I think I've demonstrated. Hell, even when I get myself a sedan or hatch in a couple of years, that will be the second car, to be used when raining more heavily than is advisable to drive in roof down or when the temperature drops below 40 on surface streets or 45 and sunny on the highway.
The fact that you have even considered, let alone rationalized SUV ownership in any capacity is enough. You have been cast into the darkness. They still make 328i 6MT wagons IIRC.

Just giving you shit. I am looking forward to replacing wifey's Rabbit with an SUV. I feel like something in the CR-V segment with more luxury and power would be a nice family ride. As long as I have the bike and a car that is fun enough to drive I am OK.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 23, 2015, 07:29:10 AM
I feel like something in the CR-V segment with more luxury and power would be a nice family ride. As long as I have the bike and a car that is fun enough to drive I am OK.

A CR-V is my main suggestion for my mom to replace her dying Mazda6. Not as sporty, but a solid all around vehicle.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 23, 2015, 07:52:45 AM
A CR-V is my main suggestion for my mom to replace her dying Mazda6. Not as sporty, but a solid all around vehicle.

Element = CR-V, but better.  :shakesfist:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 23, 2015, 07:52:45 AM
I want my mom to dump her 16 year old Lexus RX for something like a CR-V too but she is too scared to buy a new car.

CR-V is the right car for 99% of the population.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 23, 2015, 07:29:10 AM
The fact that you have even considered, let alone rationalized SUV ownership in any capacity is enough. You have been cast into the darkness. They still make 328i 6MT wagons IIRC.

Just giving you shit. I am looking forward to replacing wifey's Rabbit with an SUV. I feel like something in the CR-V segment with more luxury and power would be a nice family ride. As long as I have the bike and a car that is fun enough to drive I am OK.

Ah, okay. SUVs look like they might be fun in some ways. But like I've said before, I haven't driven an SUV in 17 years, so I don't really know what they're like to drive anymore. But I've been in a lot of Suburbans and the like in Uber, and they're nice to be driven in.

Still, I would never daily drive one. Also, I don't think they sell 328i 6MT wagons anymore. Anyway, in a year and a half or so, I'll be ready for another car to go alongside the Z4 and the frontrunner is still the Evo X.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Much as I hate to admit it, for my normal routine driving which doesn't offer up any opportunity for spirited driving, I generally prefer the 4runner.  It's just easier, more comfortable, I don't worry about it getting dirty, getting door dinged etc.  I like the visibility and the higher driving position too.  I don't care if you eat it in. I don't give a second thought to getting in after working out and I'm drenched in sweat.  We have a lot of shitty brick streets in town which is part of it, they are not sports car friendly.

Laconian

You do feel the height when you take turns in tall SUVs, passengers even moreso.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on November 23, 2015, 10:40:15 AM
You do feel the height when you take turns in tall SUVs, passengers even moreso.

Yeah, I drive WAY differently in the Explorer than in the S2000. They can both be fun in their own regard though.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 22, 2015, 08:11:53 PM
Wait.  You don't have a 4Runner anymore?  Or did I know that.  I don't think I knew that.  I think I 90% didn't know and 10% forgot you had one, so in essence...whaaaaaaat.

Yeah, I had a '91 4 door, 4WD V6 with the 5 speed. It was in mint condition too.

God damn I miss that truck. Sold it in less than 12 hours on CL. :(
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

Speaking of "do everything" vehicles, gov planet is now selling HEMMTs, and they're going for 10-20,000 in great condition.

As long as your definition of "do everything" doesn't include being able to park in a normal spot, there's not much they won't do...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on November 23, 2015, 09:26:40 AM
Much as I hate to admit it, for my normal routine driving which doesn't offer up any opportunity for spirited driving, I generally prefer the 4runner.  It's just easier, more comfortable, I don't worry about it getting dirty, getting door dinged etc.  I like the visibility and the higher driving position too.  I don't care if you eat it in. I don't give a second thought to getting in after working out and I'm drenched in sweat.  We have a lot of shitty brick streets in town which is part of it, they are not sports car friendly.

*drops the mic*