Best do-everything car for <$50k?

Started by MrH, May 04, 2015, 08:40:39 PM

SVT666

I'll just get a Raptor. I can go take some jumps at 80 mph while pulling my boat.

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on May 10, 2015, 04:08:15 PM
I guess motorcycles should only be relegated to the track... Might as well stick to a bicycle for real world duty.

Bicycles are pretty high power. Track.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on May 10, 2015, 04:08:15 PM
I guess motorcycles should only be relegated to the track... Might as well stick to a bicycle for real world duty.
Wat

Can u ride ur bicycle on the highway? Lel.

Quote from: Raza  on May 10, 2015, 12:49:02 PM
Well, you're comparing a GT based on a sedan to the sedan on which it's based.  That's like saying "What can a Civic coupe do that a Civic sedan can't?"  What can a real sports car do on the road that a sedan can't?  So much.  If you have to ask you haven't driven an engaging sports car.

The point of a car like the MX-5 is that you can drive it in an engaging manner without breaking the law too badly.  And now you want to relegate the lowest rung of sports car to track day only?  How miserable is your driving where you live? 

I drive 3 miles a day on city streets and I still get more out of my sports car than I do out of regular cars, even sporty regular car's like my brother's S4. 

I repeat:  :wanker:
The driving where I am is great. Until I moved much of my commute was ~50-60% winding biways I still ride my motorcycle on.

And what are some of these things a sports car can deliver that a sports sedan can't? Are sports sedans not engaging or high performance?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2015, 06:52:45 PM

And what are some of these things a sports car can deliver that a sports sedan can't?

Many sports cars have convertible versions.  Sedans don't.  Also most sports car buyers prefer the look of a typical sports car.

MrH

The conclusion I'm coming to:

The BRZs driving experience isn't different enough from the Genesis to justify owning both. If I'm doing the two car deal, one has got to be a convertible. The brz handles better, but is slower, louder, and not all that different. I need an open air car again.

Going to probably put the brz up for sale in the next few weeks. I could probably do an NC Miata + coilovers + supercharger for a few grand less than what the brz is worth.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Full circle back to an NC, eh? I predict the car after that will be a BRZ. ;)

How well does the NC respond to supercharging?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on May 10, 2015, 08:08:15 PM
Full circle back to an NC, eh? I predict the car after that will be a BRZ. ;)

How well does the NC respond to supercharging?

:lol:

The brz is a much better vehicle as an only car. In hindsight, I probably should have bought a commuter to go with my old Miata instead of getting the brz. Oh well, glad I'm able to experience a lot of cars. I don't regret it really.

I'm open to other convertibles, but it's hard to touch the NC in terms of value. You can get a supercharger for <$6k and make 260 hp at the crank or so.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CLKid on May 10, 2015, 07:27:02 PM
Many sports cars have convertible versions.  Sedans don't.  Also most sports car buyers prefer the look of a typical sports car.
Bingo! I love the look of a low slung 2 seat sports car with a removable roof or a drop top. Looking at my current car you wouldn't know that tho.....  :cry:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MrH

I really like this bizarro color combo. Kind of feminine looking, but it's different than the usual black, red, and silver you see everywhere.

If I roll the fenders, throw on the rpf1 wheels I have on the brz, and super charge it, it'd be a pretty unique car.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

280Z Turbo

The blue is just a couple shades too pale.

Laconian

Is it a pearlescent coat? I'd drive that if it changed colors like the VW "Vapor" paint from ~2000.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on May 10, 2015, 08:22:32 PM
Is it a pearlescent coat? I'd drive that if it changed colors like the VW "Vapor" paint from ~2000.

Here you can see it in sunlight, with terrible music in the background:

http://youtu.be/u3cMxC0pOHQ
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

I like it, but then again, my car is a similar color. It's a tricky color. If it's on a large slab-sided vehicle, it looks feminine. If it's on a more sinuous car, it seems more masculine, like the blade of a sword.

MrH

If you lower it and make it loud enough, no color looks feminine :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Yah my champagne brown Accord looked pretty mean slammed with the German flag tails and the Mugen twin loop muffler I tossed after a month

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2015, 06:52:45 PM
Wat

Can u ride ur bicycle on the highway? Lel.
The driving where I am is great. Until I moved much of my commute was ~50-60% winding biways I still ride my motorcycle on.

And what are some of these things a sports car can deliver that a sports sedan can't? Are sports sedans not engaging or high performance?

See? Just as ridiculous as your "you need to track your car to justify owning a sports car" thing.

You're the one who is looking for a damn near supersport motorcycle and refuses to even look at bikes above a certain weight limit. Why? I'm sure, according to you, a cruiser with some Ohlins suspension will offer 95% of the thrills on the street that a CBR1000RR will. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

veeman

Quote from: MrH on May 10, 2015, 08:16:30 PM

I really like this bizarro color combo. Kind of feminine looking, but it's different than the usual black, red, and silver you see everywhere.

The brown interior and top make this color work as a "dude" color IMHO. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on May 11, 2015, 07:46:02 AM
See? Just as ridiculous as your "you need to track your car to justify owning a sports car" thing.

You're the one who is looking for a damn near supersport motorcycle and refuses to even look at bikes above a certain weight limit. Why? I'm sure, according to you, a cruiser with some Ohlins suspension will offer 95% of the thrills on the street that a CBR1000RR will. :huh:
Lol

My bike decision is still in line. I would never look at a CBR1000RR for the same reason I wouldn't look at a die hard sports car. It's impractical and a PITA to live with. Something like a Ninja 1000 does deliver 95% of the thrills of a full on sportbike, while being a million times easier to live with. I dont see wat cruisers have to do with anything, cruisers are like pre-war cars in that analogy, they arent at all relevant.

I think sports cars make sense for certain people. When I was your age I could have lived with a sports car. But for anyone who likes performance, but cares about comfort or practicality in any capacity, there are a million better options out there.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 11, 2015, 02:57:44 PM
Lol

My bike decision is still in line. I would never look at a CBR1000RR for the same reason I wouldn't look at a die hard sports car. It's impractical and a PITA to live with. Something like a Ninja 1000 does deliver 95% of the thrills of a full on sportbike, while being a million times easier to live with. I dont see wat cruisers have to do with anything, cruisers are like pre-war cars in that analogy, they arent at all relevant.

I think sports cars make sense for certain people. When I was your age I could have lived with a sports car. But for anyone who likes performance, but cares about comfort or practicality in any capacity, there are a million better options out there.

No doubt there are better options out there, FOR YOU.

For me, Raza, Rich, and many others, the best option out there is still a sports car, for various reasons. To make a blanket statement saying that we should all be driving sedans because they are better options, and that sports cars should only be used on track is ridiculous.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Northlands

I'm torn with a three way tie between a V60R Wagon, 3 Series touring w/ xdrive or the 5 Series Gran Turismo.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Soup DeVille

Sporty's position makes sense; but back when I actually had a daily choice between the S2000 and the Civic; i would as often as not find an excuse to drive the S2000.

The question wasnt usually one of "which is more comfortable," but usually "is there any reason why I shouldn't drive the sports car?"
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

I'm with Sporty, to which I add that I can't ever in a billion years imagine myself choosing to be behind the wheel of a Miata, S2000, Z3/Z4, SLK cab, etc.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on May 11, 2015, 07:18:30 PM
No doubt there are better options out there, FOR YOU.

For me, Raza, Rich, and many others, the best option out there is still a sports car, for various reasons. To make a blanket statement saying that we should all be driving sedans because they are better options, and that sports cars should only be used on track is ridiculous.

OK, not trying to be a dick but Im seriously wondering wat your Miata is better at on the daily grind than an MS3 for example. And I never said sports cars should only be used on the track.... just that it seems like a waste to have one and never go. You have done track days, Rich has been to like 90 tracks in his Miata etc. I think Raza may have done a track day. That's Doing It Rightâ„¢. Never taking your sports car to a track is like never taking your Wrangler off road. Just seems kind of pointless to me. Just my opinion tho u dont have to value it.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 12, 2015, 04:37:11 AM
You're one weird cat.

This is a prereq for being a regular poster here.

Rich

Honestly I'm thinking about picking up an S-197 for track days when I get back to the states.  The Miata is more fun for backroads/roadtripping/autoXing, but I want more power and a fixed roof for track driving.  I just take the Miata to the track since it's all I got :lol:

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

S197.... wont u have to basically re-engineer its whole chassis and suspension though?

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 12, 2015, 05:55:00 AM
OK, not trying to be a dick but Im seriously wondering wat your Miata is better at on the daily grind than an MS3 for example. And I never said sports cars should only be used on the track.... just that it seems like a waste to have one and never go. You have done track days, Rich has been to like 90 tracks in his Miata etc. I think Raza may have done a track day. That's Doing It Rightâ„¢. Never taking your sports car to a track is like never taking your Wrangler off road. Just seems kind of pointless to me. Just my opinion tho u dont have to value it.

I'm not sure you will understand this but I'll tr.

At onetime we had a Mazda6, Mazda3, Miata and an E-Type Jaguar.   My first choice for commuting (28 miles one way) was the Miata, and my first choice for going to the store or across town for whatever was the Jaguar.  If I was taking 2 or more people with me we used the 3or 6.

Doing it right is using a vehicle in the manner one who owns it feels like using it; not conforming to how someone else feels they should use it.

Rich

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 12, 2015, 07:04:26 AM
S197.... wont u have to basically re-engineer its whole chassis and suspension though?

It's just for track day kicks.  I'm not looking for lap times.  Just a big ole V8 to sound good on the straights and enough power to learn to modulate the throttle on exit.  The most I'd do is make the front camber adjustable somehow to get some even tire wear and strip a little of the interior (because it sucks anyway)

edit:  I'd make big time changes to the brakes and cooling system, though.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 12, 2015, 07:04:26 AM
Brakes, springs, and dampers.  That's all it needs.

12,000 RPM

Im prob thinking of the fox bodies that needed the new front K members

Those sound like cheap fun projects until u start pricing new front geometries, the Cobra IRS and all the chassis bracing. I guess they are still cheaper and lighter than a Terminator or w/e but not by very much.