M/T large SUV comparo: Escalade vs. QX80 vs. Range Rover, etc., etc.

Started by GoCougs, May 12, 2015, 12:40:51 AM

CJ

The GL is a better value simply because it's not a gaudy Escalade.

12,000 RPM

GL looks like it costs half what they charge for it. Name stands for "Good Lawd that thang ugly"
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

I don't understand why an Escalade isn't worth $90K but a GL is.

Tave

An SUV comparo with zero mention of off-road capability, foul-weather performance, or cargo capacity? :wanker:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Virtually no one takes any SUV off road let alone an SUV that costs $100K, and they can only mention foul weather performance if they had foul weather during the test.

RomanChariot

I'm just amazed that in just over 15 years Cadillac was able to take the Escalade from being a Yukon with an atrocious nose job to a vehicle capable of winning a comparison against the likes of Mercedes Benz and Range Rover. It may not be everyone's cup of tea and I would never buy one but that is a pretty impressive feat.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on May 17, 2015, 06:42:50 PM
Putting aside the massive flaw in your argument ( the 550 contains more standard shit and needs less options), I still can't imagine the buyer that says "Oh, I can only afford $95k for a car purchase - $105k is just out of our price range".

So just so you realize, your argument is a $105k vehicle with a twin turbo DOHC V8, unit-body chassis and IRS is "better" than a $90k vehicle with a pooprod N/A V8, BoF chassis and live axle ;).

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: RomanChariot on May 19, 2015, 11:35:26 AM
I'm just amazed that in just over 15 years Cadillac was able to take the Escalade from being a Yukon with an atrocious nose job to a vehicle capable of winning a comparison against the likes of Mercedes Benz and Range Rover. It may not be everyone's cup of tea and I would never buy one but that is a pretty impressive feat.

True that.

ifcar

Quote from: RomanChariot on May 19, 2015, 11:35:26 AM

I liked its nose job. The best-looking generation of Escalade in my opinion (on the outside, anyway).

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on May 19, 2015, 09:10:23 AM

Meh.

Sitting in an Escalade, I get the feeling that everything I see and touch is a veneer over a cheaper car.  The materials look nice and everything (well, according to this article.  The one I sat in was a different story but W/E) feels good to the touch, but after a while the whole truck feels like the 45k Suburban it is. 

And for what it's worth, I quite like the new Suburban.  I just wouldn't pay 100k for what amounts to a high-spec/trim version of it. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

I'm not sure what the big deal is; it's not like the new Luxury cars are head over heels better than Cadillac these days. Most BMW cars are fairly mediocre inside

Lebowski

Quote from: SVT666 on May 19, 2015, 09:10:23 AM

They just look and feel like a vastly cheaper/inferior car inside and out to me. I haven't driven the new ones but have seen them including the interior. Plus, Cadillac depreciation and GM customer service.

Like I said, I like the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. If I wanted the GM offering I'd go for one of those, but if I'm buying a $90k SUV it won't be a GM/Cadillac, sorry.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on May 20, 2015, 07:58:17 AM
They just look and feel like a vastly cheaper/inferior car inside and out to me. I haven't driven the new ones but have seen them including the interior. Plus, Cadillac depreciation and GM customer service.

Like I said, I like the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. If I wanted the GM offering I'd go for one of those, but if I'm buying a $90k SUV it won't be a GM/Cadillac, sorry.
I dont think any of these things aside from the Lexus hold their value
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

RomanChariot

Quote from: ifcar on May 19, 2015, 09:37:26 PM
I liked its nose job. The best-looking generation of Escalade in my opinion (on the outside, anyway).
Style preferences aside, the first time I saw the first generation Escalade I literally thought someone had grafted on an aftermarket kit on the front. The build and fit were pretty bad. Of course the Surburban and Yukon of that era weren't exactly pinnacles of quality. GM has come a long ways with these trucks in terms of quality in the last couple of generations.

Submariner

Quote from: Lebowski on May 20, 2015, 07:58:17 AM

New Range Rovers seem to be holding their value quite well. 

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

SVT666

I would like the Slade much more if they ditched the chrome.

CALL_911

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 20, 2015, 12:11:18 PM
I was never a big fan of the Escalade until the GMT900.

Same and even then, I'd just take a Suburban or Tahoe LTZ (or better yet, a Yukon Denali)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Quote from: RomanChariot on May 20, 2015, 10:22:24 AM
Style preferences aside, the first time I saw the first generation Escalade I literally thought someone had grafted on an aftermarket kit on the front. The build and fit were pretty bad. Of course the Surburban and Yukon of that era weren't exactly pinnacles of quality. GM has come a long ways with these trucks in terms of quality in the last couple of generations.

Sorry, I meant the second generation. The first generation didn't even have a different nose from the Yukon Denali.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 20, 2015, 12:57:17 PM
Same and even then, I'd just take a Suburban or Tahoe LTZ (or better yet, a Yukon Denali)
i hated the headlights on the Denali!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: ifcar on May 20, 2015, 01:12:57 PM
Sorry, I meant the second generation. The first generation didn't even have a different nose from the Yukon Denali.
in the pics above the first Gen looks better than the second Gen Slade IMO.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Lebowski on May 13, 2015, 07:57:25 AM

Lol a privately chauffeured car anywhere in the U.S. means big money.

Yes, if you're going to have a chauffeur I agree the escalade is the choice out of this group. I don't think all that many consumer escalade buyers have private chauffeurs.

Most people that buy an SUV like that want to be in charge and driving it....not sitting in the backseat observing somebody else.  Sure, some ultra rich people want to be driven around but I'd venture a guess that most don't want that with these types of cars, even if they could afford it.

But man. Almost $100K for an Escalade.

One does wonder how many are all cash and for the financed ones, what the terms are.

Tave

Quote from: SVT666 on May 19, 2015, 10:35:15 AM
Virtually no one takes any SUV off road let alone an SUV that costs $100K, and they can only mention foul weather performance if they had foul weather during the test.

I don't think anyone forced them to do a late-spring test.

They're still selling the idea/image of the ruggedly-capable SUV regardless of what people use them for, I'd much rather read about hilarious stories of them being tested off-road rather than mag racing .1 second 0-60 splits and negligible mpg variances.

Crowning a "winner" based in large part on microscopic differences between 13-15 mpg and 5-6 second acceleration runs is just silly.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

You can't turn your head in this town without seeing a Mercedes GL. Shit, like 3-4 familes on my block alone have GLs. I actually don't mind the 1st gen, but I really dislike the 2nd gen.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Tave on May 23, 2015, 12:15:38 PM
I don't think anyone forced them to do a late-spring test.

They're still selling the idea/image of the ruggedly-capable SUV regardless of what people use them for, I'd much rather read about hilarious stories of them being tested off-road rather than mag racing .1 second 0-60 splits and negligible mpg variances.

Crowning a "winner" based in large part on microscopic differences between 13-15 mpg and 5-6 second acceleration runs is just silly.

I get what you're saying and would have liked to see an offroad or utility test as well, but I think they're testing what these SUV's are more catered towards.

Plus, foul weather tests are pointless. What car, other than sports cars, can't stand up to some crappy weather? Pretty much any new mainstream car on decent tires will get through most snow and rain since they all have all the electronic nannies and whatnots. I don't think you'd see a huge difference between the field in crappy weather tests.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Submariner

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 23, 2015, 12:28:24 PM
You can't turn your head in this town without seeing a Mercedes GL. Shit, like 3-4 familes on my block alone have GLs. I actually don't mind the 1st gen, but I really dislike the 2nd gen.

The first, especially in G550 trim looked really good.  The second one...I'm not so sure.

r0tor

I would have loved to see the Rover and the Lexus offroading compared to the rest
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Consumer Reports did not like the Escalade - main complaints were ride ruined by big rims, & occupants cramped for space between the overstuffed seats, doors & console. They thought a loaded Suburban LTZ was nicer/better/cheaper.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși