M/T large SUV comparo: Escalade vs. QX80 vs. Range Rover, etc., etc.

Started by GoCougs, May 12, 2015, 12:40:51 AM

GoCougs

M/T comparo: The Big Test: Large Luxury SUVs.

Escalade handily wins. Of note however was powertrain performance. The Escalade was not only the quickest of the test by a notable margin, of the six it tied for 2nd best mpg @ 16.4. The other two (Land Rover @ 16.4 mpg, GL450 @ 18.3 mpg) were smaller, 300-500 lbs lighter, and were powered by boosted V6s. May GM keep the N/A dream alive!

SVT666

I notice that in every single group photo the Lincoln is way at the back where you can't see it's ugly face.  LOL

TBR

Maybe I am the only one, but I find the facelifted Navigator to be quite attractive.

Interior is still awful though.

SVT666

Ford really fucked up on the interior.  The design isn't that bad, but the materials are shit.  I find it funny that Ford can't get the interior right on the Lincoln's, but they have class leading interiors in their mainstream vehicles.

GoCougs

The Navigator is ancient save for the Ecoboost V6, not really a luxury vehicle, and didn't belong in the test.

12,000 RPM

Interesting that the Caddy has the best interior. I am telling you, these things are the new S-Classes. Escalade outsold the S Class last year.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

This is so not my style that I can't even imagine being stuck driving one of these fat asses... Probablyb would take the GL or Range Rover if forced.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

And Jesus, the MSRPs of the Caddy are something else - $95k as tested.

12,000 RPM

Kudos to GM delivering the standard of the world in a luxury segment that counts. Having spent a few years a stone's throw from Park Avenue, I can say confidently that Escalades + drivers are the family car of the truly elite.

MexicoCityM3

Turbos are everywhere in large part to game regulations, especially the ludicrous european test cycle. The real world efficiency gains are much lower.

Regarding this test, I rented a GL450 a few months ago for a week in Austin. I really liked it. Super solid, very comfortable, reasonably fast (it was the previous V8 I believe) and with excellent ride. The third row seats were useable by adults.

The Escalade may be great, but I'd never get one. In certain areas of the country driving one makes your chances of being mistaken for the local drug lord rise by 10,000%.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

I'd take either the Range Rover or the GL personally (my brother has a GL, it is nice, I like the looks of the RR better but imagine the GL is the better car). I like the land cruiser as well but in Toyota form.  I can't see myself ever buying an escalade even if I needed/wanted something this size. The Navigator and Infiniti are my least favorite, the latter being IMHO one of the ugliest vehicles made.

TBR

Secret Chimp

Improved interior materials or not, the Escalade is not a $90k vehicle. If I were throwing that much money at a big SUV, I'd buy the Mercedes. I'd feel like one of GM's favorite chumps in an Escalade.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

MrH

I wouldn't buy the escalade, simply because in three years, I wouldn't want to have to try selling it on the used market to the losers that I really want used ones :lol:

The escalade is the car all the 45 year old guys who lived at my apartment complex after college would drive. They would try and pretend they were still in their 20's, going to the young bars in the area and hitting on girls half their age.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

If you've ever driven or spent time in the GM's large SUVs I think the allure would become apparent. Sure they're boatish but they're quick, roomy, quiet and smooth.

I wouldn't for the Escalade either but I'd totally go for the GMC Yukon Denali (which has the same 420 hp motor).

Morris Minor

I like them. I recently had a 200-mile ride in a new Suburban. Nicely built, quiet & a great conveyance for wafting along on interstates.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Lebowski

I like the Tahoe, Yukon, and Suburban, just not the e
Escalade although I dislike it less than some previous gens.  Thing is even those (Tahoe/Yukon) get pricey, at least as far as sticker prices go.  They're also massive - garage size was/is a deal killer for me vs the 4Runner, which is about the biggest that can comfortably fit in my garage.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 12, 2015, 01:34:44 PM
Improved interior materials or not, the Escalade is not a $90k vehicle. If I were throwing that much money at a big SUV, I'd buy the Mercedes. I'd feel like one of GM's favorite chumps in an Escalade.

:hesaid:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 12, 2015, 11:32:57 AM
Kudos to GM delivering the standard of the world in a luxury segment that counts. Having spent a few years a stone's throw from Park Avenue, I can say confidently that Escalades + drivers are the family car of the truly elite.
This is true! Although everyone considers them the choice car of Drug Dealers, Rappers and Athletes I see waaaaay more Slades (Current and previous Gen) in upscale neighborhoods than "Round The Way". And yes last time I was in NYC they were EVERYWHERE!!

Quote from: Lebowski on May 12, 2015, 02:44:09 PM
I like the Tahoe, Yukon, and Suburban, just not the escalade all though I dislike it less than some previous gens.  Thing is even those get pricey, at least as far as sticker prices.   
If I were buying new a nicely optioned Suburban would be my choice also. 90 Large for a tarted up pickup is just crazy to me. No matter what badge is has glued to the front!

Quote from: Lebowski on May 12, 2015, 12:41:20 PM
The Navigator and Infiniti are my least favorite, the latter being IMHO one of the ugliest vehicles made.
:hesaid: I just talked a friend out of buying a used QX! I got him to buy a Q7 instead!

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

12,000 RPM

I feel like a fully loaded Tahoe/Yukon is not very far from $90K.

2o6

Have you guys actually driven the latest GM BOF SUV's?

Because they're better than most of the cars in this test. I've spent time with the QX and the LX, and both of those models feel downright cheap by comparison

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on May 12, 2015, 09:51:53 PM
Have you guys actually driven the latest GM BOF SUV's?

Because they're better than most of the cars in this test. I've spent time with the QX and the LX, and both of those models feel downright cheap by comparison

Yea... My coworkers Tahoe that blew up 3 years and 1 month into ownership and drank a quart of oil every 1,000 miles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on May 13, 2015, 05:20:18 AM
Yea... My coworkers Tahoe that blew up 3 years and 1 month into ownership and drank a quart of oil every 1,000 miles

So no, you haven't.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Quote from: 68_427 on May 13, 2015, 05:24:33 AM
So no, you haven't.

No I did, we took driving shifts car pooling to a business conference 2 years ago... It was bleh

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on May 13, 2015, 05:30:36 AM
No I did, we took driving shifts car pooling to a business conference 2 years ago... It was bleh

So your coworker has a 3 year old MY2015 car?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 12, 2015, 11:32:57 AM

Meh, and 10-15 years ago those same people in NYC were driven in Towncars. 

I'll admit the GM SUVs are great for black car / vip type service (though I still think a simple blacked out suburban is a lot classier looking than an escalade), that doesn't necessarily make them the most desirable choice of the "elite" to own. Plenty of thirty thousand dollar millionaires leasing escalades, though maybe less so now than when the first gen was out.

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on May 13, 2015, 05:30:36 AM

So you haven't driven one, because the car is all new for 2015.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on May 13, 2015, 05:53:12 AM

Meh, and 10-15 years ago those same people in NYC were driven in Towncars. 

I'll admit the GM SUVs are great for black car / vip type service (though I still think a simple blacked out suburban is a lot classier looking than an escalade), that doesn't necessarily make them the most desirable choice of the "elite" to own. Plenty of thirty thousand dollar millionaires leasing escalades, though maybe less so now than when the first gen was out.
Maybe down there. Up in NYC a privately owned & chauffered Escalade in Manhattan = big money. I dont think they were liverys. ESV washes all its competitors in space and reliability and isnt far behind in luxury IMO. I find the whole segment silly... they all have the vertical interior room of a sedan. But Escalade got it locked