The N00b Knob

Started by Morris Minor, May 21, 2015, 08:30:53 AM

Morris Minor

Ford Makes Backing Up a Trailer as Easy as Turning a Knob
One of the best things about owning a pickup is you can haul stuff. A lot of stuff.  And not just in the bed. A pickup can haul a trailer hauling tons of stuff.

But, as anyone who has backed a truck towing a trailer knows, going in reverse is unintuitive and a pain in the ass, even for an experienced driver. Turn right to go left. Or is it turn left to go left? I can never remember, and it usually requires some trial and error, particularly in tight spaces.

Now, Ford says it's made the process as easy as turning a knob. More: http://www.wired.com/2015/05/ford-makes-backing-trailer-easy-turning-knob/
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

RomanChariot

It will be interesting to see how it works. One time I was helping a family move and after hauling a couple of trailer loads from one house to another I had to leave before they were finished so I offered to let them use my truck and trailer. There were 3 other adult men there and not one of them knew how to back a trailer.

I enjoy driving in all of its forms and I enjoy the challenge of learning how to back a trailer properly. I once parallel parked a truck and horse trailer combo.

Most people just don't tow enough to get proficient at it so this is probably good technology.

Morris Minor

Quote from: RomanChariot on May 21, 2015, 09:00:39 AM
It will be interesting to see how it works. One time I was helping a family move and after hauling a couple of trailer loads from one house to another I had to leave before they were finished so I offered to let them use my truck and trailer. There were 3 other adult men there and not one of them knew how to back a trailer.

I enjoy driving in all of its forms and I enjoy the challenge of learning how to back a trailer properly. I once parallel parked a truck and horse trailer combo.

Most people just don't tow enough to get proficient at it so this is probably good technology.

I remember practicing with a boat trailer in my teens. But I'd need to get instruction now. If this works in real life & as advertised - it will be wildly popular.

Cookie Monster

Looks like a cool concept. So you just use the knob to steer the trailer? That's pretty interesting.

I'm going to be towing the Miata next weekend across the country. I've never driven with a trailer before. Backing up is going to be interesting to say the least. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SJ_GTI

Quote from: thecarnut on May 21, 2015, 09:24:29 AM
Looks like a cool concept. So you just use the knob to steer the trailer? That's pretty interesting.

I'm going to be towing the Miata next weekend across the country. I've never driven with a trailer before. Backing up is going to be interesting to say the least. :lol:

I have driven with a trailer a couple times. Whenever I did, I just avoided any situations in which backing up was needed.  :praise:

280Z Turbo

2 axles trailers are way easier to control than single axle trailers. A single axle doesn't want to go in a straight line.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 21, 2015, 09:56:22 AM
2 axles trailers are way easier to control than single axle trailers. A single axle doesn't want to go in a straight line.

Neither does a six axle trailer, bu thats another story.

What most people don't realize is that longer trailers are actually easier to back up, because small mistakes mean less to them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: thecarnut on May 21, 2015, 09:24:29 AM

Farewell steering wheel - we loved thee well but thou takest up too much space and art in thy dotage.

shp4man

The new F150's have a bunch of ridiculous shit that's aimed at metrosexual pickup buyers. I mean, a motorized tailgate? How weak do you have to be to not be able to close a tailgate? Who loaded the cargo, your older female Hispanic housekeeper?
Jesus. Unbelievable.  :lol:

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 21, 2015, 10:01:27 AM
Neither does a six axle trailer, bu thats another story.

What most people don't realize is that longer trailers are actually easier to back up, because small mistakes mean less to them.

People always say that, and I get that longer trailers don't "come around on you" and jack-knife as quickly, but I've always found it easier to back up a typical 15-20 ft utility/boat/snowmobile trailer than a 48' or 53'  commercial rig.  Maybe I'm just weird.  Granted, I don't have a ton of experience with either, and have a bit more experience with smaller trailers than longer ones.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

I would like this... I am not afraid to admit I suck at backing up a trailer
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 21, 2015, 09:56:22 AM
Yes those Single Axle trailers are a pain! I can back our boat into the lake in one shot! But my Jet Ski trailer makes me look like a noob!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

This would be great for my neighbour.  Every time he takes his trailer out he rings my doorbell to have me back it into his driveway.  LOL

Byteme

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on May 21, 2015, 01:48:06 PM
Yes those Single Axle trailers are a pain! I can back our boat into the lake in one shot! But my Jet Ski trailer makes me look like a noob!

I think it's as much a function of the distance from the hitch ball to the trailer axle, more than the fact that the trailer has one or two axles.   The first trailer I had any real experience with was a single axle trailer for an 18' Glastron bow rider.  I could maneuver that thing in reverse as well as I could going forward.    Later we had a two axle trailer for a 24' Sea Ray cabin cruiser.  It was a pain to back up by comparison

IMO, the mistake many make is not to think about what they are doing.  If the trailer appears to not be going where you want it to the first thing to do is STOP.  Then assess the situation.  Better to pull forward and start over than to try to salvage an iffy backing job.  And if you steer with one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel all you need to know is the direction your hand moves when you turn the wheel is the direction the back of the trailer will go. 

My wife was the one who would back the trailer into the water at the boat ramp when we took the Sea Ray out of the water.  Guys would stop to watch, expecting high entertainment.  They were disappointed.  She could work that trailer better than most of them probably could.   I once watched in amazement as she backed that trailer down the ramp between two other rigs with about 18" clearance on each side.   :lol:

J86

It's just about boat ramp spectating season!  The number of times I've jumped in to save someone from themselves...

Byteme

Quote from: J86 on May 21, 2015, 07:48:42 PM
It's just about boat ramp spectating season!  The number of times I've jumped in to save someone from themselves...

A busy boat ramp on a Saturday in June is about the best free entertainment available.   :popcorn:

J86

Quote from: CLKid on May 21, 2015, 07:54:50 PM
A busy boat ramp on a Saturday in June is about the best free entertainment available.   :popcorn:

Ain't that the truth.

I splashed two tris this past Saturday.  Short ramp, so gotta come down with speed then jack the brakes so the boat comes flying off the back.  That got some folks' attention :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on May 21, 2015, 11:29:01 AM
People always say that, and I get that longer trailers don't "come around on you" and jack-knife as quickly, but I've always found it easier to back up a typical 15-20 ft utility/boat/snowmobile trailer than a 48' or 53'  commercial rig.  Maybe I'm just weird.  Granted, I don't have a ton of experience with either, and have a bit more experience with smaller trailers than longer ones.

I think that having the trailer's ball to axle length close to the truck's wheelbase helps as well, as the trade then moves proportionately with the truck; and of course longer trailers mean judging distances from farther away; but in general, longer tends to be easier.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

The main problems i see with this are forgetting what the front of the truck is actually doing; its easy enough to do as it is; that and the set up seems relatively involved, which means possible mistakes, and who knows what this system will do if you get it wrong...

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 21, 2015, 08:38:49 PM
I think that having the trailer's ball to axle length close to the truck's wheelbase helps as well, as the trade then moves proportionately with the truck; and of course longer trailers mean judging distances from farther away; but in general, longer tends to be easier.

Yes, it was the distance judgement that always bothered me when backing up semis.  Trying to gauge inches at a point 50+ ft away through a convex spot mirror...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: CLKid on May 21, 2015, 04:06:44 PM
IMO, the mistake many make is not to think about what they are doing.  If the trailer appears to not be going where you want it to the first thing to do is STOP.  Then assess the situation.  Better to pull forward and start over than to try to salvage an iffy backing job.  And if you steer with one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel all you need to know is the direction your hand moves when you turn the wheel is the direction the back of the trailer will go. 

This.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CLKid on May 21, 2015, 07:54:50 PM

Ha! I lived for a while on a canal down from a public boat launch when I was a kid. Many happy Saturday mornings were spent at the picnic table near the boat launch.

Better than Saturday morning cartoons, man.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 22, 2015, 06:02:37 PM
Ha! I lived for a while on a canal down from a public boat launch when I was a kid. Many happy Saturday mornings were spent at the picnic table near the boat launch.

Better than Saturday morning cartoons, man.

"Never a dull moment at the boat launch ramp"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32988353

68_427

This will take all the fun out of being at the boat launch watching a husband trying to guide his wife...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 03, 2015, 11:58:32 AM
"Never a dull moment at the boat launch ramp"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32988353

Haha, I came straight to this thread to post the same link.

Laconian

Is Brian Posehn narrating the video? :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT