Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

giant_mtb

Yrah, I got a vehicle with a bed for a reason. :lol:

giant_mtb

Locking rear diff would be nice.  I'm sorta clueless with that stuff, though.  I believe the Sport is a factory LS (locker comes on Off Road).

Diffs aren't too pricey (~$400), but I don't know the ins and outs of choosing.  Could I theoretically just throw in a factory TRD locker?  I think it may be electric though, so more $ and headaches of install (aka, more $).

Not that this is gonna happen any time soon.  Just thinkin' thoughts.

Rupert

IMO in a snowy area, you do want a selectable locker as opposed to an auto locker or LSD. Unless the stocker locker (yuck yuck) is already wired, it would probably make the most sense to go with an aftermarket electric unit. The advantage of an air locker is that you can set up the compressor to fill your tires, too, which can be advantageous though wholly unnecessary for what I think you want to do.

I've long said that I think the best mods for any truck or SUV you want to drive on the street and also take to reasonable places off pavement (trailheads, camp spots, just checking stuff out, i.e. not just goin' wheelin', as the kids say) are basic tools, good AT tires, basic recovery gear (mostly a shovel), a selectable locker, a winch, and good lights (with many many caveats on the lights), in that order, and with stuff like tool mounts and a rocket box or roof rack as actually needed. I've never gone as far as a locker or winch because I don't need them. My auxiliary lights are highway oriented.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Was sliding corners a couple weeks ago. Went a little too far and smacked a curb which popped the tire off the bead. I drove it the couple blocks home (and admittedly my jack wasn't in the truck at the time anyways) but that was enough to chowder the inside.

Going to pick up my new tire today. Luckily no wheel damage as well...would've been a different story if it wasn't snow...but I wouldn't have been sliding around if it wasn't snow in the first place. :lol:

-$180

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 04, 2017, 11:30:24 AM
HOOLIGAN.......

I love winter.  Can be a hooligan going 7mph.  It was bound to happen at some point... :lol:

giant_mtb

Every morning when I back out of my driveway, my FL brakes always let out a nice squeal.  Then as I drive, it's gone by the first time I need to brake/turn.  I have pad left (just changed em last year).  Thought it was temperature related, but it's warm now and still does it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 05, 2017, 11:14:46 AM
Every morning when I back out of my driveway, my FL brakes always let out a nice squeal.  Then as I drive, it's gone by the first time I need to brake/turn.  I have pad left (just changed em last year).  Thought it was temperature related, but it's warm now and still does it.

Maybe try some of that goopy stuff that goes on the back of the pad and absorbs vibrations? I used some of that on the Accord years ago and it seemed to do the trick.

Explorer's brakes are a little squeaky at low speeds too. I just ignore it lol.

giant_mtb

Yeah, maybe greasing em up would help. 

I'm gonna do a big fluids change soon (oil, diffs, transfer case) so it's about time to rotate the tires, too...I'll check into it further then.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 05, 2017, 11:14:46 AM

Brakes on Odyssey have been doing that since I moved to NY. Winter or summer. Two shops have looked them over and said lots of pad and rotor left.
Will

CaminoRacer

all racecar brakes make noise
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 10, 2017, 12:58:40 PM
all racecar brakes make noise
Just ordered Ceramic Rears for the GS because of this............
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Changed the engine oil, rear diff fluid, and transfer case fluid.  Was gonna do the front diff, too, but I don't have a 10mm hex socket.  Tomorrow I'll do that one.  Did some trail cruisin' the other day, played around, and she performed well.  4Lo still works.  :ohyeah:

Still need/want to get a lot of the front end done.  Needs ball joints for sure, might just have them do control arm bushings as well (probably just all new control arms in that case), and get the alignment finally done.

Handy underhood clampy light comes in clutch once again.

EDIT:  Got all the diffs done.  Dunno if it's all in my head or not, but the thing feels smoother as a whole. 

SVT_Power

Of all the sockets not to have, a 10mm? What kind of toolbox/set do you have  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 24, 2017, 08:02:43 AM
Of all the sockets not to have, a 10mm? What kind of toolbox/set do you have  :lol:

Hex.  Biggest one in my set is 6mm.

MrH

I tried changing the front diff fluid on the 2005 Tacoma we had.  Thing was so seized up, I actually shattered the hex bit trying to get it off.  It was incredible.  Finally broke it free after two hours of trying.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 24, 2017, 08:06:43 AM
Hex.  Biggest one in my set is 6mm.

The word you're looking for is "Allen."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on April 24, 2017, 08:50:54 AM
I tried changing the front diff fluid on the 2005 Tacoma we had.  Thing was so seized up, I actually shattered the hex bit trying to get it off.  It was incredible.  Finally broke it free after two hours of trying.

The drain plug on my front diff was super tight, but it eventually came loose.  Was the only one that made me think "shit, this might not come out."

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 24, 2017, 09:34:07 AM
The word you're looking for is "Allen."

Sure. I guess "hex bit" would have been a better choice than "hex socket."  But yeah, I meant a "10mm male hex Allen bit to attach to my socket wrench."

Of course I have a 10mm socket...I have a Toyota and a Honda dirt bike. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 24, 2017, 12:21:42 PM
Sure. I guess "hex bit" would have been a better choice than "hex socket."  But yeah, I meant a "10mm male hex Allen bit to attach to my socket wrench."

Of course I have a 10mm socket...I have a Toyota and a Honda dirt bike. :lol:

Stop saying hex so much! It's a 10mm allen. That's all!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 24, 2017, 12:24:27 PM
Stop saying hex so much! It's a 10mm allen. That's all!

Why can't I say 10mm Allen hex bit 3/8 drive socket wrench socker hex? You're making it so complicated. :huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 24, 2017, 12:27:29 PM
Why can't I say 10mm Allen hex bit 3/8 drive socket wrench socker hex? You're making it so complicated. :huh:

It attracts witches.

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

HARDCORE.  It was snowing all day.  Did about 50 miles off road, mostly ORV trails and powerline like this.  I took way too many videos, here's one small segment of total epicness.  As usual, camera doesn't do the slopes/terrain justice.  Yes, I have an exhaust leak...listen to that sweet brum.  Spot some deer around 1:45. :ohyeah:

https://youtu.be/kKYGDkw3DeQ

https://youtu.be/tm-0T6qffWw

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 27, 2017, 11:47:28 PM
HARDCORE.  It was snowing all day.  Did about 50 miles off road, mostly ORV trails and powerline like this.  I took way too many videos, here's one small segment of total epicness.  As usual, camera doesn't do the slopes/terrain justice.  Yes, I have an exhaust leak...listen to that sweet brum.  Spot some deer around 1:45. :ohyeah:

https://youtu.be/kKYGDkw3DeQ

https://youtu.be/tm-0T6qffWw

All my off-roading is at 20x the speed. So much moahr fun
Will

giant_mtb

I would love to see you take your Subaru on a powerline at 100+ mph.  Please do it. And have somebody take video.  :violin:

Rupert

His little Subaru wouldn't be able to do that at the speed you went without damage, and those don't look especially technical.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 02, 2017, 07:45:28 PM
I would love to see you take your Subaru on a powerline at 100+ mph.  Please do it. And have somebody take video.  :violin:

You mean 30mph   :lol:
Will