Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

giant_mtb

Dude, it's a 12 year old Tacoma.  New cars have way brighter and more annoying lights than some LED bulbs stuck into a 12 year old design reflector housing. 

giant_mtb

I flashed a cop once.  Got pulled over immediately.  He said "we have special lights that are basically as bright as your brights," and I was like oh...cool.  Let's get this fucking sobriety test done with so you can fuck off with your stupid bright headlights.

Never flashed anybody since unless I knew 100% it wasn't a damn cop car.

Rupert

New bright lights are at least designed for it...

Fun fact, brights aren't much brighter, they're just aimed differently.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on November 29, 2017, 09:52:23 PM
New bright lights are at least designed for it...

Fun fact, brights aren't much brighter, they're just aimed differently.

You say that as if I've never read the print on an H4 headlight bulb that says 55/60W. :rolleyes:

I bow down to you, resident master of light bulbs.

giant_mtb

Anyways, got them delivered and installed today.  It was just before dark when I took the before pictures and just after dark for the after pictures.  Lights are wired such that I can't run fogs only, so that's why no fog-only picture (didn't feel like unhooking the headlight bulbs lol).  Old headlight bulbs were Sylvania Xtra Visions and the fog bulbs were Silverstar Ultras (pretty good bulbs, honestly...they've lasted the 3+ years I've had the truck).

Low Beams only before:

after:

Low Beams & Fogs before:

after:

High Beams before:

after:

Epic Grainy Picture:

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2017, 04:12:57 PM
You say that as if I've never read the print on an H4 headlight bulb that says 55/60W. :rolleyes:

I bow down to you, resident master of light bulbs.

Hey man, I'm not the one buying overbright Chinese LEDs here. Saying you know things and then doing something that doesn't make sense if you knew the things is usually an indication that you didn't know the things to begin with. ;)

Posting photos in different light conditions is less than useless, even if you do hold the shutter speed and aperture constant, FYI.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on December 01, 2017, 06:52:26 PM
Hey man, I'm not the one buying overbright Chinese LEDs here. Saying you know things and then doing something that doesn't make sense if you knew the things is usually an indication that you didn't know the things to begin with. ;)

Posting photos in different light conditions is less than useless, even if you do hold the shutter speed and aperture constant, FYI.

Wow, why do you think I disclaimed the differing light conditions? :rolleyes:

I'll go buy a DSLR next time and wait until ultimate darkness to take some simple pictures of a difference to make sure your satisfaction is met.

Your race to be the most obvious captain obvious mansplainer is hilarious.  All I said was that I'm well aware of H4 bulb wattages.  Fuck outta here. :wtf:

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2017, 07:21:11 PM
Wow, why do you think I disclaimed the differing light conditions? :rolleyes:

I'll go buy a DSLR next time and wait until ultimate darkness to take some simple pictures of a difference to make sure your satisfaction is met.

Your race to be the most obvious captain obvious mansplainer is hilarious.  All I said was that I'm well aware of H4 bulb wattages.  Fuck outta here. :wtf:

Right, you knew the photos were pointless, but you posted them anyway.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on December 01, 2017, 07:33:24 PM
Right, you knew the photos were pointless, but you posted them anyway.

I really am sorry I changed the bulbs out just before dark.  I really am.  I'll un-do it and re-do it tomorrow at midnight for you. :wtf:

You really don't have to participate in this thread if my pictures upset you this much. lol

AutobahnSHO

Photos to me show a better spread but also show they aren't shooting light higher than before. So there's that.
Will

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 01, 2017, 08:37:40 PM
Photos to me show a better spread but also show they aren't shooting light higher than before. So there's that.

Photos don't show you shit. If the lenses are the same, and they are, and the bulbs are brighter, and they are, then there is necessarily more light being scattered in both desirable and undesirable directions, full stop. Whether this matters to other drivers or not, we can't say, but I would argue that the odds are that it does matter, though likely only a little bit.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2017, 07:37:56 PM
I really am sorry I changed the bulbs out just before dark.  I really am.  I'll un-do it and re-do it tomorrow at midnight for you. :wtf:

You really don't have to participate in this thread if my pictures upset you this much. lol

You didn't have to post photos at all. If your goal here was to take slightly meaningful photos, then you did it wrong; if your goal was to install brighter bulbs and damn the scatter torpedoes, then it looks like you did it right. :huh:

Sorry that I'm upset by anti-logical behavior I guess? ;)

giant_mtb

This...is insane. :wtf:

I just can't get over the fact that you seem to think the entire reason I got different bulbs was to please you with perfect cell phone pictures.  :zzz:

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 29, 2017, 01:34:27 PM
Nice. Let me know how you like the headlights. I've been thinking about upgrading the El Camino to LED to get better low beam vision + less power draw.

I'm diggin' them.  Instant-on, good color, bright, good fill.  Just hope they last a while. :ohyeah:

And for the love of god, don't tell Rupert if you get some.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2017, 11:00:08 PM
I'm diggin' them.  Instant-on, good color, bright, good fill.  Just hope they last a while. :ohyeah:

And for the love of god, don't tell Rupert if you get some.

Dude, you're destroying this world with your lumen spreading. I'm not following you.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 01, 2017, 11:36:57 PM
Dude, you're destroying this world with your lumen spreading. I'm not following you.

Imagine how many more lumens I'd spread and how much worse the pictures would be if I took pictures with the flash on.  Fuuuuuck.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2017, 10:52:51 PM
This...is insane. :wtf:

I just can't get over the fact that you seem to think the entire reason I got different bulbs was to please you with perfect cell phone pictures.  :zzz:

Oh giant, you know as well as I do that I'm right, and no amount of deflection and simplified misinterpretation on your part will change that. The consequence of you being wrong does not appear to be all that bad; you're just another person with slightly too-bright headlights, no one is going to die. I probably do care more than most people-- I drive in rural non-lit areas at night a lot, so I notice it when ~20% of all the cars and mostly trucks I meet are blinding me with their low beams (I know it's lows because I see them turn their highs off).

giant_mtb

Simplified misinterpretation?  You're the one that can't decide what he wants to mansplain or be offended by next.  First it was bulb brightness, then wattages, then my pictures, and now we're back to brightness. lol

And now you're trying to mansplain driving in rural non-lit areas to somebody who has been driving in rural non-lit areas his entire (relatively short, 11 year) driving life...holy shit, you can tell it's low beams 'cause you see people turn off their highs?!  You're a fuckin' genius.  Did you also know that you can tell if somebody has their lows on because their fog lights may be on, too?!  It's nuts!

All in all, I just think your Headlight Horse is wayyy too tall and that you also need to get its dick out of your ass.  :nyd:

giant_mtb

tl;dr

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2017, 07:21:11 PM

Rupert

Yes, simplified misinterpretation, exactly, even intentional simplified misinterpretation. Deflection, or maybe just attempted deflection, too. It all sums to an attempt to dismiss without reason any argument you don't like, which appears to be a lot of them.

Instead, you could try a counter-argument, or if that's not your style, you could ignore it like you seemed to suggest you were about to earlier.

Soup DeVille

When did Cougs take over Rupert's account?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

mzziaz

Quote from: Rupert on December 02, 2017, 03:58:27 PM
Oh giant, you know as well as I do that I'm right, and no amount of deflection and simplified misinterpretation on your part will change that. The consequence of you being wrong does not appear to be all that bad; you're just another person with slightly too-bright headlights, no one is going to die. I probably do care more than most people-- I drive in rural non-lit areas at night a lot, so I notice it when ~20% of all the cars and mostly trucks I meet are blinding me with their low beams (I know it's lows because I see them turn their highs off).

Hey, actually someone could die from too bright lights.

Just sayin
Cuore Sportivo

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on December 02, 2017, 06:06:38 PM

That's far from a compliment.  It means you're an insufferable twat that nobody wants to talk to. :huh:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on December 02, 2017, 05:06:11 PM
Yes, simplified misinterpretation, exactly, even intentional simplified misinterpretation. Deflection, or maybe just attempted deflection, too. It all sums to an attempt to dismiss without reason any argument you don't like, which appears to be a lot of them.

Instead, you could try a counter-argument, or if that's not your style, you could ignore it like you seemed to suggest you were about to earlier.

Counter argue what??  The fact that I disclaimed my pictures, admitted to the potential of the lights being too bright, or telling you that I'm well aware of some watt numbers on a bulb??  Holy fuck, dude.  You're the one that can't leave well enough alone.   :hammerhead:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2017, 07:04:35 AM
That's far from a compliment.  It means you're an insufferable twat that nobody wants to talk to. :huh:

I enjoy my "discussions" with Cougs; and Rupert as well.

Perhaps I have a soft spot for insufferable twats?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 02, 2017, 05:23:57 PM
When did Cougs take over Rupert's account?

Rupert is curiously sensitive about others' rigs.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2017, 07:04:35 AM

Yet here you are, compulsively responding to my every post, as if you feel like you have something to defend. :huh:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on December 03, 2017, 03:10:57 PM
Yet here you are, compulsively responding to my every post, as if you feel like you have something to defend. :huh:

Because your patronizing condescension about changing light bulbs is pretty pathetic...just trying to help you realize it and become a cooler person. :(