Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

CaminoRacer

Nice! Are those the aluminum running boards?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CALL_911

I'm a fan. Congratulations man

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 26, 2022, 11:02:20 AM
Nice! Are those the aluminum running boards?

Yes, and they're coated with a truckbed liner type coating so they're nice and grippy.  I thought it was coming with a different style with actual steps built in that hang down lower...would have likely ditched them. But these I kinda like.

Edit: These are the ones I thought it was coming with.

giant_mtb

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Will

Soup DeVille

Hey, we're like color twinsies or something.

Nice truck, man.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Jesus Fuck, I shoulda never let them have me download the Toyota app and connect my phone to the truck. Oh, yeah, cool, I get a year's free trial and I can lock/unlock the doors from my phone...why the fuck would I need to do that. And now whenever I get a text it interrupts my BT music and reads it to me.

Deleting that shit tomorrow.

giant_mtb

217,500-some miles vs. 56 miles.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 26, 2022, 11:30:48 PM
Jesus Fuck, I shoulda never let them have me download the Toyota app and connect my phone to the truck. Oh, yeah, cool, I get a year's free trial and I can lock/unlock the doors from my phone...why the fuck would I need to do that. And now whenever I get a text it interrupts my BT music and reads it to me.

Deleting that shit tomorrow.

Yep. Did the same.

I've also found that its better to connect via BT than to plug the phone into the USB most of the time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 27, 2022, 03:07:31 AM
Looks the same :lol:

The '05 is a nice 20-30 footer. Get any closer and you start seeing how fucked she is. And the driver's side is her good side. :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 27, 2022, 05:00:04 AM
Yep. Did the same.

I've also found that its better to connect via BT than to plug the phone into the USB most of the time.

Yeah. All I want is BT audio. I don't want to use the infotainment to read texts or take phone calls. So annoying.

FoMoJo

The new one looks quite a bit more imposing because of the grille.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 27, 2022, 08:17:56 AM
The new one looks quite a bit more imposing because of the grille.

It is quite snub-nosed.  If it were up to me, I'd have the 05's body on the 22's chassis.  Granted, the '22 looks fantastic, but it is quite aggressive. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 27, 2022, 07:14:55 AM
Yeah. All I want is BT audio. I don't want to use the infotainment to read texts or take phone calls. So annoying.

Ok, so. If I have BT audio playing and plug in the phone, it switches to USB and plays the same music. All good, right? But if I unplug it, it shuts audio off. Then when I turn audio on, its on 91.7 FM, which isn't even a station.

Plus, when plugged in, it can't find my music or contacts list with voice commands. Connected via bluetooth, it all works great.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 27, 2022, 10:22:05 AM
Ok, so. If I have BT audio playing and plug in the phone, it switches to USB and plays the same music. All good, right? But if I unplug it, it shuts audio off. Then when I turn audio on, its on 91.7 FM, which isn't even a station.

Plus, when plugged in, it can't find my music or contacts list with voice commands. Connected via bluetooth, it all works great.

Which USB port connects it to the infotainment? The one in the center armrest console?

giant_mtb

Although...the remote start feature from the app will be nice this winter since the key fob doesn't have remote start.  Never had remote start before.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 27, 2022, 12:09:57 PM
Although...the remote start feature from the app will be nice this winter since the key fob doesn't have remote start.  Never had remote start before.

Press the lock button three times, homd it for a few seconds the last time.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 27, 2022, 12:05:50 PM
Which USB port connects it to the infotainment? The one in the center armrest console?

On the 4Runner, the one directly under the screen, to the right.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 27, 2022, 02:18:39 PM
On the 4Runner, the one directly under the screen, to the right.

Gotcha. I think on mine it's the ones inside the center console. The only USB-C port is in there (with a standard USB-A port next to it) and when I plug my phone into that port it does all the phone shenanigans. But if I use the USB port below the climate controls it seems to just charge the phone and just use BT.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 27, 2022, 02:18:05 PM
Press the lock button three times, homd it for a few seconds the last time.

Holy shit you're kidding me. That indeed works. They didn't bother to tell me that. lol

Edit: It shuts off when you open the door. Wtf, Toyota. 😂

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 27, 2022, 05:14:24 PM
Holy shit you're kidding me. That indeed works. They didn't bother to tell me that. lol

Edit: It shuts off when you open the door. Wtf, Toyota. 😂

Yeah, I don't get that part, but car's warmed anyways.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 27, 2022, 05:51:23 PM
Yeah, I don't get that part, but car's warmed anyways.

Yeah, not a big deal.  94% of the time in the winter I just start my truck, let the dog roam around and piss, and/or get the snow off of it when needed, so remote start isn't make or break for me, but good to know I have it.

When it's in the teens or single digits, idling doesn't warm it up anyways. The engine needs a load from a few minutes of driving to start building any real heat, but it's nice to just get the juices flowing.

MrH

Any reason you went for crew cab this time around?

Don't both of you use Android Auto/Carplay for music?  I feel like those systems have obsoleted bluetooth and USB audio.

I'm curious what they do for next gen Tacoma and 4Runner.  The new Tundra has those waste gate issues which have been a nightmare.  I'm guessing they'll go turbo 4 cyclinder + hybrid system?  A multi link rear end?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Just wanted more interior space and the real back seats will be nice for the occasional times I want/need to drive people somewhere. Sacrificing a foot of the bed shouldn't be a big deal. Biggest things I ever haul around on any regular basis are dirtbike and snowblower. Snowblower will fit easily, dirtbike...probably not unless I leave the tailgate down, but I don't like doing that with all the other stuff that's gotta be back there (ramp, gas can, cooler, etc). So I'll probably end up with a hitch-mount rack for it. Keeps the bed open for other stuff and eliminates the need for a space-sucking ramp.

MrH

Does anyone with a truck ever use these things?  Always seemed like a practical solution to a shorter bed to me, but I rarely see them on trucks.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on August 28, 2022, 10:30:20 AM
Does anyone with a truck ever use these things?  Always seemed like a practical solution to a shorter bed to me, but I rarely see them on trucks.

Yeah, those are honestly kinda neat and practical depending on your use case. But no, couldn't tell you the last time I saw somebody actually using one. :lol:

I think the downside is that they're hard-mounted, so it's either taking up space when you have it folded inside the bed with the tailgate up (if it's one that can rotate, that is), or you just always have your tailgate down, which would be a pain as it makes your truck lile 2' longer by default.

Also, useless for something like a dirtbike or 4-wheeler because...you'd have to completely remove it to get the machine in the bed in the first place. Unless they thought of that and they have some sort of quick-connect mechanism. Who knows.

giant_mtb

Regardless, I'd rather have the hitch-mount rack for dirtbike just to leave the bed open for other stuff.

giant_mtb

Solved the texting/calling infotainment problem. There's an option to "disconnect as a phone" while keeping it connected for just audio. Yeehaw.