Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

Soup DeVille

Tape adapters do work better. You're transferring magnetic signals over a sub-millimeter gap instead of low power radio over several feet.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on June 01, 2015, 04:24:19 PM
I had a feeling my description was going to get ridiculed, so let me try it a different way: It is seemingly more direct because there is less interference and it just sounds better. It's also more consistent.  Even I realize it's not the same as a true AUX input like the Fit or any other new car these days, but if there is a hierarchy of ways of doing it, this way seems to be better than the FM way.

That's my point.

Well, yeah. Tape adapters do usually sound better, that's for sure.

I'd use one instead of an FM, but since the two vehicles I've needed something for so far only have CD players (TBlaze and Tacoma), I had to go FM.

The direct connect for the Tacoma plugs right into the slot for what would normally be the CD changer.  Push "Disc" and it's a nice direct connection.  The stock sound system isn't bad.  I miss having the sub in the Audi and the more detailed adjustability, but it isn't bad for a truck...I am excited to see how she sounds with a direct source. Might replace speakers with something better down the road, at least the mid bass drivers.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 01, 2015, 07:51:44 PM
Well, yeah. Tape adapters do usually sound better, that's for sure.

I'd use one instead of an FM, but since the two vehicles I've needed something for so far only have CD players (TBlaze and Tacoma), I had to go FM.

The direct connect for the Tacoma plugs right into the slot for what would normally be the CD changer.  Push "Disc" and it's a nice direct connection.  The stock sound system isn't bad.  I miss having the sub in the Audi and the more detailed adjustability, but it isn't bad for a truck...I am excited to see how she sounds with a direct source. Might replace speakers with something better down the road, at least the mid bass drivers.

Good to hear that the sound system isn't bad because sometimes in pickups they can be. The model you have seems to be pretty refined for a pickup in various ways...I like em'.

How's the road noise compared to the Audi?

giant_mtb

It's uhhh..ya know..louder. :lol:

giant_mtb

I think it'll ride a lot better once I delete the lift. If that doesn't help as much as I'd like, shocks as well down the road.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 01, 2015, 08:35:32 PM
It's uhhh..ya know..louder. :lol:

Well of course. Audis make pretty quiet cars. :lol: But I was wonderin' if it was terrible or if it just tolerably louder.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 01, 2015, 08:37:13 PM
I think it'll ride a lot better once I delete the lift. If that doesn't help as much as I'd like, shocks as well down the road.

Yeah, I bet that'll help quite a bit....although it is indeed a pickup, so not sure how quiet it'll get in the end. :lol: But I bet it'll be a quieter than this:

Man. Things sure do change.

Eye of the Tiger

Why delete lift. No understand.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 01, 2015, 09:16:23 PM
Why delete lift. No understand.

Don't need.
Better ride.
Less fuel consumption.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on June 01, 2015, 09:13:39 PM
Yeah, I bet that'll help quite a bit....although it is indeed a pickup, so not sure how quiet it'll get in the end. :lol: But I bet it'll be a quieter than this:

Man. Things sure do change.

What? Deleting the lift is for ride quality, not noise.

SVT666

Deleting the lift won't make it quieter.

Secret Chimp

Why keep the lift if it does nothing beneficial whatsoever

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Secret Chimp on June 02, 2015, 03:37:51 PM

Exactly why I want to get rid of it.  And it makes me kinda feel like a tool.  Especially 'cause it's just a spacer lift and not a real lift.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on June 02, 2015, 03:37:51 PM

You've still got nipples, right?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Center of gravity will be lower. Ballsack circumference and penis size may be smaller. Pros and con's. That's what it's all about. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 02, 2015, 06:28:09 AM
Don't need.
Better ride.
Less fuel consumption.

Maybe trade it for a Prius?

68_427

Lowering my car made it louder.  Exhaust leak is 5+in close to the road.  :lol:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 02, 2015, 04:29:34 PM
Exactly why I want to get rid of it.  And it makes me kinda feel like a tool.  Especially 'cause it's just a spacer lift and not a real lift.
Body lifts are stupid.  They do absolutely nothing for offroad capability except make it more top heavy.

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT666 on June 03, 2015, 10:16:58 AM
Body lifts are stupid.  They do absolutely nothing for offroad capability except make it more top heavy.

It's not a body lift.  It's a rear block/front spacer lift.

Took it to the place I get my tires and alignment type stuff done. They said they could take it off but both the guys working were baffled that I'd want to. hah

AutobahnSHO

A moderate amount more than stock helps keep you from drowning the engine in deep water...
Will

giant_mtb

I went on a 25-30 mile jaunt on logging roads, ORV, etc (the whole stretch I did is technically a county road, but...it's not).  I liked having the lift except when rhythm bumps came into play.  If I hit them too fast or in the right way, the front suspension would extend completely and I'd hear some noises.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 03, 2015, 02:47:26 PM

Took it to the place I get my tires and alignment type stuff done. They said they could take it off but both the guys working were baffled that I'd want to. hah

Taking blocks and spacers out won't affect ride quality much, if at all. It will change some dynamics as your center of mass is lower, but I can't tell you if the distance to roll center will change in the front. Anyway  straight line ride will remain virtually unchanged, unless your shocks were limiting travel with the lift. Put 35" spinners on it and call it a day.

giant_mtb

Went on another little adventure. Actually climbed some obstacles and stuff. Got it dirty.  As soon as I'm off road, I don't mind the lift. There were a couple berms and ruts and stuff I'm not sure I could've traversed without it.

Maybe I'll get a sway bar quick connect kit and some squishier shocks. ;)

Rupert

Increased skill will make up for the lift being removed.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 03, 2015, 02:47:26 PM

Why don't you get yourself a Chevy, son? :erjerbs: :neverforget:

Soup DeVille

Clearance for larger tires- thus better clearance offroad, without fucking with the suspension geometry.

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 03, 2015, 02:49:24 PM
A moderate amount more than stock helps keep you from drowning the engine in deep water...
A body lift won't accomplish that.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on June 03, 2015, 10:18:12 PM
A body lift won't accomplish that.

Well, it will give you a couple more inches...

Eye of the Tiger

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2015, 10:13:49 PM
Clearance for larger tires- thus better clearance offroad, without fucking with the suspension geometry.
Yet, you still have the same suspension travel, your bumpers and frame are still lower so departure and approach angles barely change even with the bigger tires. A moderate suspension lift is the only way to go. You accomplish the space for larger tires, increased suspension travel, increasing ground clearance, and improving approach and departure angles.