Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

giant_mtb

Noticed a rattling type noise.  Intermittent-ish.  Discovered via getting underneath and tapping shit to try and replicate the sound that it's the heat shroud thing covering the catalytic converter ratting against...whatever it's mounted to.  It rattles sometimes at idle or under load.  It's nothing bad or mechanical, but it sure is annoying and makes it sound like shit.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 09, 2015, 04:17:22 PM
Noticed a rattling type noise.  Intermittent-ish.  Discovered via getting underneath and tapping shit to try and replicate the sound that it's the heat shroud thing covering the catalytic converter ratting against...whatever it's mounted to.  It rattles sometimes at idle or under load.  It's nothing bad or mechanical, but it sure is annoying and makes it sound like shit.

We fix those with a giant hose clamp.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 09, 2015, 04:17:22 PM

My wife's subie does that. We took it to an independent shop, he welded for a minute but it's doing it again.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on June 09, 2015, 04:42:52 PM

How fancy.

You guys too good for baling wire?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 09, 2015, 05:17:40 PM
How fancy.

You guys too good for baling wire?

How fancy.

You too good for a scrap piece of 18 gauge insulated stranded copper wire found on the shop floor?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Hmm good idea. Cause the bolts are rusted. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 09, 2015, 06:24:27 PM
How fancy.

You too good for a scrap piece of 18 gauge insulated stranded copper wire found on the shop floor?

The smell of burning insulation is not something I usually consider to be a pleasant part of the motoring experience.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on June 08, 2015, 09:42:18 AM
Lots of headroom in trucks. I have only hit my head two or three times, but seatbelts lock up constantly.

I do not have this problem at high speed, low speed, medium speed, on gravel, dirt, bumpy, smooth, or rocky roads.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 09, 2015, 08:55:32 PM
The smell of burning insulation is not something I usually consider to be a pleasant part of the motoring experience.

I suppose you're not into British cars.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 09, 2015, 10:12:23 PM
I suppose you're not into British cars.

I think the insulation on old British auto electrical systems is made of a mix of Scottish tweed and the strings from tea bags.

Whatever it is, its not quite the same smell.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 09, 2015, 10:21:46 PM
I think the insulation on old British auto electrical systems is made of a mix of Scottish tweed and the strings from tea bags.

Whatever it is, its not quite the same smell.

I hate stripping fabric insulation. Who came up with that bonehead idea?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on June 09, 2015, 09:20:43 PM
I do not have this problem at high speed, low speed, medium speed, on gravel, dirt, bumpy, smooth, or rocky roads.

I have this problem every time i have to turn around at a stop light to keep one offspring from provoking/touching/stealing from/throwing at/throwing up/crying/yelling/laughing/ not quite touching but seeing how close you can get/drawing on another nearby offspring.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 09, 2015, 10:24:57 PM
I hate stripping fabric insulation. Who came up with that bonehead idea?

A consortium of Scottish tweed and tea bag string manufacturers.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 09, 2015, 10:27:05 PM
A consortium of Scottish tweed and tea bag string manufacturers.

For a place where Scotch tape got its name because they were so skimpy with adhesive, I cant understand why they are so generous with fabric.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 09, 2015, 10:25:38 PM
I have this problem every time i have to turn around at a stop light to keep one offspring from provoking/touching/stealing from/throwing at/throwing up/crying/yelling/laughing/ not quite touching but seeing how close you can get/drawing on another nearby offspring.

Straight jackets have multiple uses.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 09, 2015, 10:30:12 PM
For a place where Scotch tape got its name because they were so skimpy with adhesive, I cant understand why they are so generous with fabric.

For the same reason the English kept using square bolts on shit forever.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 09, 2015, 10:31:43 PM
For the same reason the English kept using square bolts on shit forever.

Inbreeding?

giant_mtb

Got a hose clamp this morning and clamped that sucker down. Problem solved. Thanks for the idea!

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 10, 2015, 08:15:05 AM
Got a hose clamp this morning and clamped that sucker down. Problem solved. Thanks for the idea!

:ohyeah:  It's a Ford approved procedure.

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

I've got more flex in my rear torsion beam.

giant_mtb

TREK fits perfectly in Truck bed. So glad I don't have to spend $100 on a silly Dakine pad so I can hang my bike over the tailgate like a weirdo.  The way some people spend their money.  :facepalm: :rockon:

GoCougs

Dakine gate pads are total brah!

I hate 'em too. People swear they hold the bike just fine but I just don't see it.

Rupert

Transporting bikes in cars is such a PITA.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

I never had a problem. Did it for years. Seats folded down, front wheel off, put it in, done.  Truck is easier/more convenient, though, for sure. 

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

I'm not a roof rack kinda guy. Why would I want to put my bike on my roof when it fits right in the vehicle. :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Hitch rack > anything else.

Better aerodynamics, less lifting, more car space, lockable, etc...
Will

AutobahnSHO

Not those hanging kind though. The kind where the bike sits on the rack.
Will

giant_mtb

The audio interface thing from China came a lot earlier than expected. I shall spend my afternoon sipping beers and taking way too long to install it. :rockon:

It'll probably take 6 minutes. lol