Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 25, 2016, 07:19:03 PM
Lesson learned, I hope.

Oh yeah. My gf said she's never gonna trust me over a bridge again. I told her, this is the kind of bridge I wouldn't even attempt with her as a passenger.  I tend to do the "stupid" things when I'm the only one in the vehicle. :lol:

But yeah. Did it to myself. No shame, shit happens, no damage. :mask:

Rupert

Wow!

When you have to get out to evaluate whether a bridge is safe to cross or not, it's not!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

This is some real Indiana Jones shit.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on August 25, 2016, 07:56:01 PM
Wow!

When you have to get out to evaluate whether a bridge is safe to cross or not, it's not!

The track width for the boards people have installed was correct and plenty of quads and side by sides have gone over it...I've crossed it a few times on the bike, too...but they sure weren't meant for trucks.  I should have done a more thorough evaluation, especially of the right side.  The left side had good logs underneath the boards for support.  Not so much on the right.

This bridge is no longer part of the official trail.  There's a newer route with a safe bridge about half a mile before this.  I was feeling too ballsy, I guess.  Lesson learned.  Fuckin bridges.

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on August 25, 2016, 08:07:17 PM
This is some real Indiana Jones shit.

Dude talk about an adrenaline rush when my whole right side dropped to the river. 

Rupert

The consequences of a failed bridge are much greater than most off highway risks, IMO.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on August 25, 2016, 08:28:14 PM
The consequences of a failed bridge are much greater than most off highway risks, IMO.

Agreed.  My bridge judgement will be on point now. :lol:

giant_mtb

In all retrospect, I definitely fucked up by trying that bridge.  I should've, and do, know better but I couldnt resist for some reason.  Thank the lord I live in the UP where friends have true rigs to come save your ass. 

Also, I've never used a come along til today and I think it would behoove me to get one.  It was a critical component.

Rupert

I mean, if you are seriously intending to get stuck, you'll want a winch, straps, high lift, come along, shovel, saw, axe, and to know how to safely use all that (especially the high lift, winch, anything under tension, and saw if it's a chainsaw).

Rupert

Also helps to have a rear winch-- usually makes more sense to reverse from the stuck position than to advance. Lights and a full gas can can't hurt.

Alternatively, just don't get stuck.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on August 25, 2016, 09:16:50 PM
Also helps to have a rear winch-- usually makes more sense to reverse from the stuck position than to advance. Lights and a full gas can can't hurt.

Alternatively, just don't get stuck.

My offroading usually consists 100% of the "just don't get stuck" method. This is the first time I truly fucked up. :lol:

I had a 10,000lb strap and that was about it. I bought it intending more winter use (look! A guy in a truck with a tow strap to save me!), but it came in handy today to get the right length for the come along. His 30ft strap was too long. 

If I tried to fuck up like this more often, I'd consider more gear.  I think a high lift jack and a come along would be more than enough for my uses.  Winch would be great, but I'm really not that hardcore.  This was the first time I was truly stuck. I've climbed plenty of shit part way and had to back down, but backing down a hill is easy compared to dropping your whole fuckin right side through a bridge.  I'd have been fucked if I had to get outta this one myself.  Would probably be a much sadder story.

giant_mtb

I mean, let's be real. It's a TRD sport with an open front diff (I believe?) and rear LSD. It's no solid axle beast like Tacomas of old.  It can go just about anywhere, but not everywhere.

Rupert

I'm continually surprised at where a stock 4WD can go, and also where they can't. But I also haven't been stuck in a long time, so I guess it's not that surprising.

giant_mtb

So my airbag, cruise control, and horn don't work.  Took apart the steering wheel area to assess...nothing is unplugged or looking amiss.  However, all three of those things wire through this device, apparently called an airbag clock spring:

$100 on Amazon. https://amzn.com/B00JW1WZNS

Would be nice to have cruise control back before I drive down to fricken Chicago next weekend...

giant_mtb

Ordered it.  There seems to be some confusion about whether or not it works with cruise control, but I guess we'll find out.  Can always return it if I need to I guess.  One reviewer said "cruising again!" while another said his was never affected in the first place?  Dunno.

giant_mtb

Fuck.  It came in, but the little orange tab that you break off before installation that keeps it from winding at all during transport was already broken off in the box.  Now I have no idea if it's been turned one way or another during transport. aka, it's a $100 gamble that will leave me with the same fuckin problem. 

giant_mtb

Well, found the center point by gently spinning it both ways.  Didn't fix my problem, though. Airbag light has gone off, but I still have no horn or cruise control.  Sigh. 

giant_mtb

Tacoma did great over the long journey to Chicago and back.  Without cruise control, I never got less than 21mpg on the way there or back.  And honestly, I always felt the cruise control was a bit crude. It would wait til you were 3-5 under your setting to attempt to get back up to speed, so it would often just have to resort to downshifting and flooring itself if it was up any type of grade. I found myself often taking over the gas pedal just before steeper hills anyway to hold top gear and give it just enough to not need downshifting or at least just a light downshift with consistent throttle.  Kinda makes me miss the accuracy of the A4's cruise, especially with the manual. Once you learn the engine, you can see a hill coming and know it'll get itself up in 6th gear once she put the boost on.  But anyways, she made a good run!

AutobahnSHO

Weird, my 04 Sienna never had cruise misses like that.
Will

RomanChariot

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 21, 2016, 04:50:35 AM

I read that as "cruise missiles." I wish my minivan had cruise missiles.

giant_mtb

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 21, 2016, 08:31:39 AM
I read that as "cruise missiles." I wish my minivan had cruise missiles.

:lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 21, 2016, 04:50:35 AM

Yeah, it's just kinda jerky.  Damn trucks!

On another note...

Sometimes (esp. under harder acceleration, which is rare for me in Tacoma), I get a bit of drivetrain shudder.  As if I have a super out-of-balance wheel kinda thing.  I know I have a 2-pc driveshaft, so I'm wondering if that's just sort of a normal thing that comes with the territory, or if the center (carrier) bearing is due for replacement.

It doesn't squeak like this guy's does, but for visual reference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJXja7fEMmM

CaminoRacer

You changed the ride height, right? I would suspect it's the pinion angle causing vibration. Under acceleration the rear end will twist thanks to the leaf springs and further change the pinion angle.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 21, 2016, 12:26:26 PM
You changed the ride height, right? I would suspect it's the pinion angle causing vibration. Under acceleration the rear end will twist thanks to the leaf springs and further change the pinion angle.

Yeah, it's got a 3" spacer lift that was on it when I bought it.  Good point.  Another good reason to ditch the lift when I can afford to.  Extra wear and tear on the drivetrain is less than ideal.

giant_mtb

Getting some weird rubbing/binding from the FR wheel.  Something brake-related...that wheel's ABS will kick on for no reason under braking and sometimes the pedal will be really mushy, as if it's low on fluid.  But it isn't.  ABS light came on last night (never has before).

Gonna take the wheel off and wiggle shit around.  Brakes aren't something I want to randomly lose going down the road.

Soup DeVille

You're most likely losing an ABS sensor, and it may be because that wheel bearing is going sloppy
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 10, 2016, 08:35:48 PM
You're most likely losing an ABS sensor, and it may be because that wheel bearing is going sloppy

That there magnet thingy will suck up every stray flake of metal it can. Metal flakes come from bad bearings and brake pads with no pads left. Also, ABS is stupid. Pull the fuse.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 10, 2016, 08:35:48 PM

Yep, definitely a wheel bearing. Jacked it up and she's wobbly as faaaack.  Not gonna drive it til it's fixed. It's pretty bad. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 10, 2016, 09:12:30 PM
Yep, definitely a wheel bearing. Jacked it up and she's wobbly as faaaack.  Not gonna drive it til it's fixed. It's pretty bad. 

New barring mite come with a new ABS sensir, too.  :muffin:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 10, 2016, 09:12:30 PM

Do both fronts.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator