When the people in your life buy terrible cars.

Started by Xer0, June 02, 2015, 08:07:19 AM

Xer0

So my friend just purchased a 2015 Jeep Patriot.  Brand new, only 15 miles on the odo.  I had to wish him congrats, obviously, but it really was nothing more than a massive lie since its probably the worst car on sale now.

Have you guys had friends/family that bought terrible cars?  Did you lie to them and say they weren't? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lebowski

I'm pretty honest so I usually just tell people, "that is a piece of shit but good luck".

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on June 02, 2015, 08:49:12 AM
I'm pretty honest so I usually just tell people, "that is a piece of shit but good luck".

:lol:

Honestly, I don't let my close friends buy bad cars.

But yeah, the Patriot is bad.  A friend of mine has a Dodge Nitro she got before I knew her.  That might be even worse.   Just awful.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

For people who are close to me I'd ask why the fuck they did that, but I can't think of an instance I've let someone close to me buy a shitty car.

For people who aren't, I just say "cool, good luck", because I don't give a fuck

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Xer0

Telling him "I can't wait to take it mudding" was so hard. 

What I'm really curious about, however, was how much he paid for it.  Thats what will really make me feel sorry for him and he has gotten screwed at new car purchases before.

ifcar

One of my coworkers also just bought a new Patriot. I told her congrats and that I'm sure she got a great discount, and that Jeep sure has improved it over the years. There's usually some true compliment to find about any car.

CALL_911

Quote from: ifcar on June 02, 2015, 09:49:46 AM
One of my coworkers also just bought a new Patriot. I told her congrats and that I'm sure she got a great discount, and that Jeep sure has improved it over the years. There's usually some true compliment to find about any car.

It's true. There isn't a truly "bad" car on sale today.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on June 02, 2015, 11:32:40 AM

I disagree

Comparatively speaking, you're right. I define bad car as something that doesn't break all the time and gets you from point A to point B without drama. The Patriot satisfies that criteria.

Barring statistical anomalies like lemons, I can't think of anything like that which is currently on a showroom floor

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Patriots aren't the most reliable things out there

SVT666

My parents keep disregarding my advice and they keep buying Chevys even though they keep spending thousands of dollars repairing them.  Not only do they keep buying Chevys, but they buy the shitty ones.  They asked me if they should buy a Pontiac Montana, and I told them in no uncertain terms, "Do not buy a Pontiac Montana".  Well, they did and they lived to regret it three exhaust manifolds and multiple electrical issues later. 

Then they asked me if they should buy a Trailblazer.  I told them no.  I told them to look at three other SUVs and they ignored me.  My dad couldn't get rid of it fast enough.  My dad referred to it as "that piece of shit".  It was in the shop a lot with electrical, sensor, and mechanical issues.  The gas gauge didn't work for 2 years, the rear hatch mechanism failed so many times the dealership replaced the entire hatch and the mechanisms for the glass only worked once in a while, and the leather was awful.  The engine was great though.

Then they bought the Cobalt SS S/C and even though it hasn't had any mechanical issues the car has aged very poorly.  The interior is wearing very fast and feels much older than the car actually is.  My parents baby their cars, so it's not because of how they treat them.

The only good car they have bought in the past 15 years is the Chevy Tahoe they recently bought.  It's been great so far, and I told them to buy it because I actually really like the Tahoe, and besides, they would have bought it anyway.

Secret Chimp

I really don't understand why people go in on brand new bottom-of-the-ladder cars. If you go looking for cars under 45k miles there are tons and tons of great cars to choose from in the same price range (I found a CR-V, TSX, Jeeps, trucks, Priuses, Silverados, etc for $20k or less averaging under 40k miles in jsut a few minutes) and decent used car financing is pretty easy to get. Why would you go in at the top of the depreciation ladder for tomorrow's crappy claptrap when you can get into a nice (even certified) used car for the same money or less?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 02, 2015, 09:51:19 AM
It's true. There isn't a truly "bad" car on sale today.

The "new" Mitsubishi Mirage may as well have been the original Aveo's competitor ten years ago.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

Quote from: Secret Chimp on June 02, 2015, 12:21:17 PM
I really don't understand why people go in on brand new bottom-of-the-ladder cars. If you go looking for cars under 45k miles there are tons and tons of great cars to choose from in the same price range (I found a CR-V, TSX, Jeeps, trucks, Priuses, Silverados, etc for $20k or less averaging under 40k miles in jsut a few minutes) and decent used car financing is pretty easy to get. Why would you go in at the top of the depreciation ladder for tomorrow's crappy claptrap when you can get into a nice (even certified) used car for the same money or less?

Because it's so much easier to take a car to The dealership and complain when something goes wrong.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on June 02, 2015, 12:15:51 PM
Patriots aren't the most reliable things out there

How long does the average person keep a brand new car for? Not that many people keep them until the wheels fall off. In such an instance, they're fine.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Because people don't care. Buying a new car is easy and you have "peace of mind". It's the path of least resistance. And hey, if you don't give a fuck about what you drive as long as it stays out of your way, why not?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

New cars are cheaper to finance, can be leased, and are more flexible to negotiate on- ESPECIALLY if they are POSs. Not to mention the warranties.

For the note I pay on the Civic, if not for the amount of driving I do I probably could have leased a brand new one. If I can pre-buy mileage for cheap I will probably lease the next whip.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

I know a couple that just bought a brand new Patriot and Renegade. My lips are sealed.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 02, 2015, 12:50:15 PM
How long does the average person keep a brand new car for? Not that many people keep them until the wheels fall off. In such an instance, they're fine.

Some new cars suck balls at staying together after they roll off the showroom floor.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 02, 2015, 12:56:00 PM
New cars are cheaper to finance, can be leased, and are more flexible to negotiate on- ESPECIALLY if they are POSs. Not to mention the warranties.

For the note I pay on the Civic, if not for the amount of driving I do I probably could have leased a brand new one. If I can pre-buy mileage for cheap I will probably lease the next whip.

For the price I pay for the Yaris, for not a hell of a lot more, I can have a new Fit.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on June 02, 2015, 01:19:38 PM
Some new cars suck balls at staying together after they roll off the showroom floor.

Such as?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

What's really embarrassing is when you start talking about how awful a car is, at length, only to learn that the person you're talking to just bought said car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 02, 2015, 01:21:15 PM
Such as?

Most Chrysler Fiat products.

Repeated trips and visits to the dealers suck; ugh.

I also don't trust the latest crop of BMW GDI Turbo 6cyls; They love using oil. And coolant. And wearing out seals. And wearing out head gaskets.

Soup DeVille

Not all my friends are into cars, ( mostly trucks, actually), and I don't agree with all of the ones that are.

But I say nothing; i mean, I've made my share of stupid car purchases as well, for reasons that would be hard to explain to them. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

I would LOVE to buy a brand-new-car someday, but I won't. It just makes no financial sense.

I had a friend buy a Mercury Topaz from Hertz. Way "newer" than most of us were driving at the time- he knew it was crap but at least he kept it real and said, "oh well, a car is a car"
Will

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 02, 2015, 01:49:25 PM
I would LOVE to buy a brand-new-car someday, but I won't. It just makes no financial sense.

I had a friend buy a Mercury Topaz from Hertz. Way "newer" than most of us were driving at the time- he knew it was crap but at least he kept it real and said, "oh well, a car is a car"

Is this the car with the famous burning brakes?

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 02, 2015, 01:21:15 PM
Such as?

Friend's dodge nitro: exterior door handle literally broke and separated from the vehicle just trying to open the door. It's like nothing I've ever seen before :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

ifcar

Quote from: MrH on June 02, 2015, 04:37:53 PM
Friend's dodge nitro: exterior door handle literally broke and separated from the vehicle just trying to open the door. It's like nothing I've ever seen before :lol:

My grandmother's Hyundai Azera had that happen. I don't think something like that rises to the level of making the whole car junk unless issues with falling apart are very common.

MrH

Quote from: ifcar on June 02, 2015, 05:47:21 PM
My grandmother's Hyundai Azera had that happen. I don't think something like that rises to the level of making the whole car junk unless issues with falling apart are very common.

That was just one example with the nitro :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on June 02, 2015, 08:54:33 AM
:lol:

Honestly, I don't let my close friends buy bad cars.

But yeah, the Patriot is bad.  A friend of mine has a Dodge Nitro she got before I knew her.  That might be even worse.   Just awful.

A guy at work just bought a Patriot. It's very unremarkable inside and out. I remember the interior resonance at idle being deafening.

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on June 02, 2015, 01:26:05 PM
What's really embarrassing is when you start talking about how awful a car is, at length, only to learn that the person you're talking to just bought said car.
I did that once.  Someone told me that you could get a Chevy Uplander for $18K cause they were blowing them out.  I said, "Yeah, but then you're driving a Chevy Uplander.  Not only is it shit, it's ugly too."  Then he told me he knew they were blowing them out because he bought one that afternoon.

:mask: