Ford 3D printing portal

Started by SVT666, June 12, 2015, 12:45:39 PM

SVT666

Ford has launched an online portal geared for 3D-printing hobbyists.

As the name implies, the Ford 3D Store offers a range of files that can be downloaded and used to print scale models on desktop 3D printers or larger additive-manufacturing machines.

The site currently lists the F-150 Raptor, Shelby GT350R, Focus ST, Focus RS and Fiesta ST among the available nameplates, but Ford promises to add more models down the road.

Buyers can either download the .STL files for $4.99 each, or order a 1/32-scale pre-printed model for $39. A Ford GT is scheduled to be available later this week, already painted unlike the other models.

Rather than taking a block of plastic and cutting material away or molding it to form a shape, most desktop 3D printers extrude ABS or PLA plastic onto successive layers that eventually form a three-dimensional model.

"3D printing at home is a growing trend, and it makes sense for us to offer our customers a chance to make their own 3D Ford models," said Ford licensing manager Mark Bentley. "At Ford, we're using 3D printing every day to rapidly prototype parts, and now we want to share that fun with our fans."

The company suggests sales of 3D desktop printers are on track to exceed one million units by 2018. Most printers currently range from $500 to $1000 or higher, however prices are expected to keep falling as the technology gains wider adoption.

giant_mtb

Cool. I've got a friend that's really into 3D printing. He's printed me a few cool trinkets. I'll have to show this to him.

Soup DeVille

On e you've downloaded the .STL file, what's to keep this from bein reposted on Thingiverse for free?

I applaud Ford for getting into the game; but this is exactly going to be like trying to sell music online during the height of Napster.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 12, 2015, 01:18:01 PM
On e you've downloaded the .STL file, what's to keep this from bein reposted on Thingiverse for free?

I applaud Ford for getting into the game; but this is exactly going to be like trying to sell music online during the height of Napster.

yup and lots of bogus files which seem ok but then print all dumb (wasting your time and plastic)
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 12, 2015, 01:30:03 PM
yup and lots of bogus files which seem ok but then print all dumb (wasting your time and plastic)

People with homemade RepRap printers make the mistake of tweaking the .STL file instead of recalibrating their printer.

Their file prints great on their equipment, but is crap for everybody else.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

I wonder how accurate they are... I mean can you scale them up and start making body kits that would actually fit?

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on June 12, 2015, 02:31:07 PM
I wonder how accurate they are... I mean can you scale them up and start making body kits that would actually fit?
That's a great idea.

giant_mtb

I feel like that's far easier said than done. :lol:

JWC

Good....now maybe they will make parts available...like the overhead console for my daughter's Focus which is a piece of plastic, about 6x8 inches, that sells for $270.

Soup DeVille

Yes, but with some caveats. Printed ABS tends to be weaker than injection molded pieces for one.

Gotta-Qik-C7

These would make cool bodies for RC Cars.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on June 13, 2015, 07:39:39 AM
These would make cool bodies for RC Cars.

Lots of options for that already on thingiverse.

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 13, 2015, 09:02:53 AM
Lots of options for that already on thingiverse.
There are only a handful of good ones for my RC truck. The problem with 3D printing them is they won't be flexible for impacts or clear for painting.