ALFA GIULIA SPY PICS

Started by Yawn, June 23, 2015, 11:55:42 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 26, 2015, 11:49:04 AM
A bit too confident. Segment leaders have been known to eventually lose it. E.g. the Mopar minivans.

The 3 series has a substantial lead, but it's market share overall can only go lower IMO with so many alternatives. I suppose in part that is what drives BMW to create all the variants of it (GT, 4, 4GC, etc) that really don't cost that much more to manufacture. Defending its turf by specializing the offerings more and more.
For commodities like minivans, especially ones with weak domestic badges, I agree, anybody can get it.

But lets be frank, in this segment a huge part of the buying decision is the brand. I said it before and Ill say it again... sports sedans are Camrys for snobs, in practice. To that end, BMW seems to be delivering the best (or 2nd best compared to the C Class) overall package. The Germans really have a keen understanding of their customer base, which combined with their brand equity is what keeps people coming back for more.

If this thing bombs, I am guessing it will be due to failure in that arena. The car looks great and all the specs are right, but if a 3 is nicer to live with the market will go that way.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Submariner

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 26, 2015, 11:49:04 AM
A bit too confident. Segment leaders have been known to eventually lose it. E.g. the Mopar minivans.

The 3 series has a substantial lead, but it's market share overall can only go lower IMO with so many alternatives. I suppose in part that is what drives BMW to create all the variants of it (GT, 4, 4GC, etc) that really don't cost that much more to manufacture. Defending its turf by specializing the offerings more and more.

Two comments on the minivan point:

a.) In that segment, no one cares about badge appeal, at least enough to have it weigh heavily on their decision to purchase one over another. 

b.) The Cadillac may be the best driving car in the world, but it's still a sedan.  It's supposed to have a certain level of utilitarianism along with the stellar drive; it should actually place practicality above other considerations, then work on said attributes to make them as good as they can be with the given constraints (i.e. useable space). 

Think about it, these are 60-80k cars which means only a small segment of the population will be able to afford them.  That population wants a useable back seat and something other than the worst infotainment system ever put into mass production (with the possible exception of the 1st generation of Ford MyTouch).  Even for those who want the best drivers car available, there are other purpose-built vehicles available, but they're buying a sedan because it offers some kind of user friendliness.  i.e. the car needs to have a degree of user friendliness in addition to good driving dynamics, especially when 99% of buyers are not going to drive these vehicles to the limit, but only 7/10ths at best.  The competition does a better job of getting the mix right, while Cadillac labors under the delusion that well-off suburbanites with families aren't interested in a livable car because it is the track star of the segment.  Cadillac is also the same firm that was "shocked" Mercedes got the new S-class so right, even though Merc has more experience in that segment than any maker on the planet.  Cadillac's judgement these days isn't that good (save for the Escalade) and if you need proof, check out sales figures for both the ATS and CTS and what they're going off the lot for. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Is this going to be a compact or a midsize?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2015, 08:13:00 AM
Is this going to be a compact or a midsize?
Looks like 3 series size.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on June 29, 2015, 08:23:45 AM
Looks like 3 series size.

Sweet. I think I've finally found a car I want that's in production.

Hopefully it doesn't suck, like the Ghibli.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2015, 09:13:03 AM

Hopefully.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2015, 09:13:03 AM

Damn shame what the Ghibli came out to be

Charger with a Ferrari V8 and Maserati bodykit. OK thats hyperbole but the car is a mess.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 29, 2015, 09:34:31 AM

Charger with a Ferrari V8 and Maserati bodykit. OK thats hyperbole but the car is a mess.

I think you're thinking Quattroporte.  The Ghibli is smaller and V6-only.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

:confused:

Wrong car dude.

ifcar

I think he means the Ghibli, despite having the engine wrong, since that's the one with more Chrysler parts sprinkled through it.

12,000 RPM

I def meant the Ghibli, didnt know it was V6 only though.

In any case, def needs more refinement.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-maserati-ghibli-s-q4-full-test-review

I saw one at the local country club though. Damn gorgeous car.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on June 29, 2015, 10:31:32 AM
I think he means the Ghibli, despite having the engine wrong, since that's the one with more Chrysler parts sprinkled through it.
Ghibli is based on a shortened version of the Quattroporte, and Ghibli is Ferrari designed (Chrysler built) V6, not Ferrari V8.

Raza

My brother was all about the Ghibli, he wanted it so badly. I had to convince him about how much it sucks.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CJ

I don't think this is an attractive car.