Computers don't fall asleep.

Started by 12,000 RPM, July 17, 2015, 08:45:53 PM

AutobahnSHO

Will

Laconian

Re: "target fixation" - that makes sense, but I never really thought of that. Yeeeesh
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Favorite motorcyclist past time is Monday night quarterbacking Youtube helmet cam crashes. Target fixation and riding above one's pay grade is almost always the cause of solo crashes.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lacondenian on July 21, 2015, 12:15:51 PM
Re: "target fixation" - that makes sense, but I never really thought of that. Yeeeesh

It was a term from aviation, if I remember right: had to do with the tendency of dive bombers to actually fly into their targets.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 21, 2015, 08:24:27 PM
It was a term from aviation, if I remember right: had to do with the tendency of dive bombers to actually fly into their targets.

From Wikipedia:

"The term target fixation was used in World War II fighter-bomber pilot training to describe pilots flying into targets during a strafing or bombing run."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on July 21, 2015, 08:26:01 PM
From Wikipedia:

"The term target fixation was used in World War II fighter-bomber pilot training to describe pilots flying into targets during a strafing or bombing run."

Okay, so was I close enough to get partial credit?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

It's true... American drivers, for the most part, SUCK, myself included.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Northlands

Computers may not fall asleep in the sense that we do, but they can have a whole host of other issues that can interrupt communications to the truck, or even its own onboard systems failure that can cause crashes.

I think drivers on average get pushed too hard and drive too many hours by companies that over promise on delivery times.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

MX793

Quote from: Northlands on September 02, 2015, 02:04:38 PM
Computers may not fall asleep in the sense that we do, but they can have a whole host of other issues that can interrupt communications to the truck, or even its own onboard systems failure that can cause crashes.

I think drivers on average get pushed too hard and drive too many hours by companies that over promise on delivery times.

Sometimes it's the drivers pushing themselves.  Most are paid per the mile, so the more miles they can rack up, the more they make.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Northlands

Quote from: MX793 on September 02, 2015, 03:26:08 PM
Sometimes it's the drivers pushing themselves.  Most are paid per the mile, so the more miles they can rack up, the more they make.

Absolutely.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on September 02, 2015, 03:26:08 PM

Its a cooperative arrangement. The companies let the drivers track their own hours, and as long as the driver says he has more hours on his book, they'll happily give him more loads. Yes, the drivers push themselves; but the companies keep giving them loads and they know when a dude hasn't slept.

A lot of the heads of trucking companies are old drivers themselves, who were often the most hard driving sons of bitches in the old days, and they don't think much of the hours of service rules.