Mercedes S class cabrio.

Started by Galaxy, September 04, 2015, 12:39:59 AM

AltinD

They should have kept the nose of the sedan for both the coupe and convertible. They keep the badge to invoke prestige and than put a front fascia that doesn't

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 06, 2015, 12:33:13 PM

And for travel for 2 people you can keep your luggage in the back seat. If u stop off for gas u just have to close the roof.... as any rational person with or without luggage in a convertible would do anyway.

Raising and lowering the top just takes 17 seconds each way, but it gets old. 

On trips (and we take a lot of trips in the convertible with the top down) we carry as little as possible in the back seat; a small cooler, snacks, a camera and other odds and ends.   Luggage goes in the trunk.   The top stays down at fuel stops; I fill the car while my wife goes and does what she needs to do, then when she gets back, I go while she cleans the windshield or whatever.  If the car is going to be out of our sight, while we eat, for example, the top is up.  If we just pop into Wendy's or McDs we leave the top down and park where we can see the car. 

Raza

Quote from: CLKid on September 08, 2015, 04:11:40 AM
Raising and lowering the top just takes 17 seconds each way, but it gets old. 

On trips (and we take a lot of trips in the convertible with the top down) we carry as little as possible in the back seat; a small cooler, snacks, a camera and other odds and ends.   Luggage goes in the trunk.   The top stays down at fuel stops; I fill the car while my wife goes and does what she needs to do, then when she gets back, I go while she cleans the windshield or whatever.  If the car is going to be out of our sight, while we eat, for example, the top is up.  If we just pop into Wendy's or McDs we leave the top down and park where we can see the car.

17 seconds? An eternity! I can put my roof up and down in roughly that time span.

I leave the top down in many of the same situations as you do. If I can see it and it's likely not going to rain, it's down.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

I think the S class cabrio has already been beaten. That it is likely smaller is irrelevant.

I am not a fan of the current Rolls Royce styling, however the language has evolved a bit from the box on wheels that the Phantom is. The cabrios have always been better. The Drophead also had a less rectangular front. And that wood!

giant_mtb

MexicoCityM3

The Rolls is indeed better but also twice the price so it should be.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Galaxy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 08, 2015, 11:01:49 AM
The Rolls is indeed better but also twice the price so it should be.

Twice the price? That would be the Phantom. The Dawn, while probably more expensive then the S class, should not be that much more.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on September 08, 2015, 11:19:14 AM
Twice the price? That would be the Phantom. The Dawn, while probably more expensive then the S class, should not be that much more.
Yea. Would have been worth it to create more distance from the sedan and SL. Just doesn't feel special at all, ESPECIALLY now with the Dawn's announcement.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  on September 08, 2015, 10:28:34 AM
17 seconds? An eternity! I can put my roof up and down in roughly that time span.

I leave the top down in many of the same situations as you do. If I can see it and it's likely not going to rain, it's down.

the one thing I'd change is the fact that the car must be stationary to raise and lower the top.  I'm well aware of the reasoning behind that, but I'd really like to be able to raise or lower it going 5-10 MPH.

There's a lot going on with panels opening and closing, the back half of the top moving up and down, etc.    Seventeen seconds is an eternity if a sudden downpour happens.

Those are minor quibbles though, when compared to the joy of open car motoring. 

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Galaxy on September 08, 2015, 11:19:14 AM

According to C & D this will be about 400K, 20% dearer than the Wraith. How much is the Merc?
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Galaxy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 08, 2015, 11:38:26 AM
According to C & D this will be about 400K, 20% dearer than the Wraith. How much is the Merc?

Ok, then I misjudged how expensive the Dawn will be. That is almost Phantom money then. WTF. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CLKid on September 08, 2015, 11:23:39 AM
the one thing I'd change is the fact that the car must be stationary to raise and lower the top.  I'm well aware of the reasoning behind that, but I'd really like to be able to raise or lower it going 5-10 MPH.

There's a lot going on with panels opening and closing, the back half of the top moving up and down, etc.    Seventeen seconds is an eternity if a sudden downpour happens.

Totally!   I got caught once in Miata when it was kinda cloudy then we felt a drop and within 15sec it was torrential downpour, I was already trying to pull over.

I cannot wait to have a 'vert again. I will drive top down unless it's raining or utter need of A/C or bitter winter.... Around here everyone always has the top up, I think "such a waste"
Will

MexicoCityM3

Only here a thread about literally the most expensive convertibles in the market ends up being about fucking Miatas.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on September 08, 2015, 10:34:14 AM
I think the S class cabrio has already been beaten. That it is likely smaller is irrelevant.

I am not a fan of the current Rolls Royce styling, however the language has evolved a bit from the box on wheels that the Phantom is. The cabrios have always been better. The Drophead also had a less rectangular front. And that wood!

I actually like that a lot.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: CLKid on September 08, 2015, 11:23:39 AM

Oh, I agree. But I wouldn't want to have to do that every time I stop (and most hardtop convertibles take longer than 17 seconds), because the roof renders my trunk useless. I love that a soft top stows quickly and compactly.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 08, 2015, 11:38:26 AM

Holy hell. That's expensive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 08, 2015, 12:20:59 PM
Totally!   I got caught once in Miata when it was kinda cloudy then we felt a drop and within 15sec it was torrential downpour, I was already trying to pull over.

I cannot wait to have a 'vert again. I will drive top down unless it's raining or utter need of A/C or bitter winter.... Around here everyone always has the top up, I think "such a waste"

You can put the top down and use the AC at the same time. I do it often. All summer, really. It's impossible to go without AC where I live.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AltinD

Quote from: Galaxy on September 08, 2015, 10:34:14 AM

I can proudly say that I've seen one a month or so ago. It was on top of a flat bed truck, uncovered, probably on the way to or from a potential buyers presentation. I was actually surprised because I could see that it was not a Phantom drop-head, and I didn't really know that a Wrath-based convertible was on the way.

Going back in time, in 2002 just the same I also happen to see the Maybach a month before the official unveiling which I remember took place in NYC.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on September 08, 2015, 01:06:45 PM
You can put the top down and use the AC at the same time. I do it often. All summer, really. It's impossible to go without AC where I live.

I've done that but above mid 90s it's still too hot

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 08, 2015, 01:00:20 PM
Only here a thread about literally the most expensive convertibles in the market ends up being about fucking Miatas.

:rockon:   :rockon:   

I'd rock a RR or MB if I could afford to. :huh:

And keep a Miata to thrash around    :lol:
Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 09, 2015, 09:32:39 AM
I've done that but above mid 90s it's still too hot

I've set my ceiling at 115F.  Haven't hit it yet, but I'll tell you 105 can get downright uncomfortable.  Always keep a spare deodorant, undershirt, and shirt in the trunk. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on September 09, 2015, 10:44:15 AM
I've set my ceiling at 115F.  Haven't hit it yet, but I'll tell you 105 can get downright uncomfortable.  Always keep a spare deodorant, undershirt, and shirt in the trunk. 

lol   sorry you're probably the most hardcore I've ever heard of
Will

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  on September 09, 2015, 10:44:15 AM

Aren't you in Philly?  Does it get that hot there? 

We rarely run the AC with the top down, even on our trip to and from Yellowstone a couple of months ago.  We came back through New Mexico and West Texas.  Hot, but not a problem. 

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CLKid on September 09, 2015, 12:48:06 PM

We rarely run the AC with the top down, even on our trip to and from Yellowstone a couple of months ago.  We came back through New Mexico and West Texas.  Hot, but not a problem.

I live about ~30 miles S/SW of Philly and it does get hot sometimes (mid 90's), but not usually for long durations (we get heat waves in the summer like everyone else).

Raza

Yeah, a few times over the last couple of years, it's been over an (indicated) 100F. And it's humid.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

No, the last time the mercury hit 105 in Philadelphia was in 1918, so I think he's exaggerating. It does get in the upper 90s (and muggy) during the summer, but it's not Southeast hot up there.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Morris Minor

I have to say the silver/grey paintwork and the dark red interior look really good. I'm a sucker for that color combo. :wub:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

It's a very kinky color palette.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: Tave on September 11, 2015, 07:45:00 PM
No, the last time the mercury hit 105 in Philadelphia was in 1918, so I think he's exaggerating. It does get in the upper 90s (and muggy) during the summer, but it's not Southeast hot up there.

I don't have the official temperature on file, but I go by what's shown on my car's thermometer.  Not the "correct" temperature, but it's pretty accurate when it comes to what you're experiencing. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2015, 06:24:17 PM
I don't have the official temperature on file, but I go by what's shown on my car's thermometer.  Not the "correct" temperature, but it's pretty accurate when it comes to what you're experiencing.

The new ones are better, but some read hot in warm weather due to the sensor being too close to the engine, asphalt, or some other heat-absorbing surface (metal roof/hood).

Triple-teen-degree heat is otherworldly. You hear all the time how "the humidity is worse" from coastal residents, but go visit Phoenix in July and tell me that's not the hottest you've ever been in your life. It's so hot it feels like your lungs are being ripped out by a vacuum of fire. Homeless people drop dead on the sidewalk en masse. There are week-long stretches where the mercury never dips below 100 degrees at night.

We don't get anything like that on the mid-Atlantic coast. Most years we top out at about 100-even in the dead of the afternoon, if that. Forget 115, you'd know it if we ever reached 110 because everything would shut down and it'd be all anyone was talking about.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.