BMW Z4 (E89): where have we put all our space?

Started by Tave, September 06, 2015, 09:07:19 AM

Tave

So my buddy and his wife were going to the beach yesterday, and he stopped by my place in the morning before he left. Imagine my surprise when I see him pull up in a black Z4 and offer me ride. This was my first time in the E89 (first time in a Z4 actually), and I was excited as I've always been a huge fan of the Z-line.

I don't really want to talk about the car's positives--confident balance, immediate power, trick hardtop, gorgeous red interior--rather this is a thread for a criticism, one in particular: interior legroom.

There is none. None. It doesn't exist. The seats are designed to bottom-out at right around 5'11", good luck to anyone taller.

Now, I know I'm above-average height and can't expect every car, especially older models, to accommodate my individual preferences on space. That's ok. We all have to make-do in life. Engineers shouldn't have to plan for the comfort of a 7-foot giant at the expense of everyone else. It sucks to be an outlier but the world keeps turning.

At the same time, how far from the norm is 6'3-to-4" today? The average height of an adult male in Germany is 5'11" and in the Netherlands is 6'+, not exactly a short people. Likewise, heights in this part of the world have steadily risen for quite some time.

There is no excuse for a modern carmaker to design cockpits that function as torture chambers to anyone slightly above average height. New cars are enormous, what good is all that extra space if you leave the occupant with as little room as they had before? And I'm not talking about impossible design fixes, all the Z4 needs is an extra 2 inches of seat track.

Sports cars shouldn't be penalty boxes anymore. The Z4 is a power hardtop two seat GT for pete's sake.

What are your experiences in the E89 versus the E85 and Z3? It's been awhile since I was in the latter, but I don't remember any of the same space issues.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rich

The solstice and s2000 had some good leg room. I've never been in a z3/z4.

My problem is that most cars think seat height is a good compromise to the pedals. And newer cars want the steering wheel a good distance from the drive because of the airbag. By the time I get the seat adjusted so that I can rest my wrist in top of the wheel comfortable, I'm sitting either bolt upright, or my legs are all jammed up under the dash.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

This only further confirms the E89 was designed for housewives. Avg woman is 5' 4" in the US and prob shorter in China.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

I'm but a wee manlet at 5'-10" on a good day so no offense Timmy but whenever I hear "tall" people complain about leg room I can't really sympathize and mostly because I've just never seen any evidence of it. No place is gonna be perfect for anyone - plane, bus, taxi, car, etc. We all adjust and otherwise just live with it.

Raza

I've had 6'+ in the passenger seat with no complaints, but everything I'm seeing lists the legroom of both cars at 42". Might be a difference in comfort based on seat height or shape, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Does the Z4 have a lump in the passenger's footwell for the exhaust or catalytic converter?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

I'm 6'4" and he a had no problems in either generation of Z4. Maybe you're Mr. Long legs there?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on September 07, 2015, 07:30:31 AM
Does the Z4 have a lump in the passenger's footwell for the exhaust or catalytic converter?

I don't know.  Can't say I've ever sat in the passenger seat of my Z4. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on September 07, 2015, 07:45:14 AM
I don't know.  Can't say I've ever sat in the passenger seat of my Z4. 

Figured you would have at least been over in that side to vacuum the carpet or remove the passenger's floor mat for cleaning.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on September 06, 2015, 12:48:37 PM
I'm but a wee manlet at 5'-10" on a good day so no offense Timmy but whenever I hear "tall" people complain about leg room I can't really sympathize and mostly because I've just never seen any evidence of it. No place is gonna be perfect for anyone - plane, bus, taxi, car, etc. We all adjust and otherwise just live with it.

It's not esoteric philosophy. Get in your car. Is your seat comfortable? Good, now move it up the track until your legs are jammed in the floorboard.

Typically modern cars aren't that bad.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on September 07, 2015, 07:30:31 AM

There was some sort of lump, but it was only half the problem. I couldn't extend the other leg either.

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 07, 2015, 07:33:31 AM
I'm 6'4" and he a had no problems in either generation of Z4. Maybe you're Mr. Long legs there?

No, my legs aren't short, but proportionally I have a long torso.

Char

It's all in the seat adjustment, you might want to put the back  portion back and then the seat down, with the front of the seat angled up.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on September 07, 2015, 07:56:45 AM
Figured you would have at least been over in that side to vacuum the carpet or remove the passenger's floor mat for cleaning.

Yeah, I've been over there, but I've never sat down. Not long enough to notice something like that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i