EPA Going after VW...

Started by SJ_GTI, September 18, 2015, 12:36:45 PM

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on September 18, 2015, 05:23:51 PM
Not at all, if it's a N/A gasoline engine and about even if it's not.

Diesels don't need to be turbocharged or supercharged (though they work much better if they are).  No ignition.  No throttle.  They require no electricity at all to run.  Fuel injection can be handled completely mechanically with the injectors driven off of the camshaft.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on September 18, 2015, 06:29:54 PM
Diesels don't need to be turbocharged or supercharged (though they work much better if they are).  No ignition.  No throttle.  They require no electricity at all to run.  Fuel injection can be handled completely mechanically with the injectors driven off of the camshaft.

But of course no diesels are like that today - turbo + related stuff, more complicated fuel system (ultra high fuel pressure and more complicated/expensive injectors) and urea treatment.

AutobahnSHO

Nether are gasoline engines...
Will

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on September 18, 2015, 08:58:00 PM
But of course no diesels are like that today - turbo + related stuff, more complicated fuel system (ultra high fuel pressure and more complicated/expensive injectors) and urea treatment.

Um, take a look at the typical diesel-powered refrigeration unit made by Carrier or similar.  They're pretty dirt simple, N/A diesel engines.  Kubota makes some for small tractors and generator sets and the like as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

Doesn't look good. VW may take a huge hit from this.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Payman

It's crazy a car company would do this. The ramifications from getting caught are going to be pretty severe. Aside from a massive fine, there's surely going to be a class-action suit from the half-million owners.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rockraven on September 19, 2015, 11:57:29 AM
It's crazy a car company would do this. The ramifications from getting caught are going to be pretty severe. Aside from a massive fine, there's surely going to be a class-action suit from the half-million owners.

+1
Will

2o6

I wonder if they're doing the same thing for Euro 6, as well

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on September 19, 2015, 04:40:15 PM
I wonder if they're doing the same thing for Euro 6, as well

Do the latest Euro requirements have the same NOx limits as the US?  In the past, the EPA has been more stringent about NOx and particulates than Euro regs, which focused more on carbon emissions.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on September 19, 2015, 05:56:06 AM
Um, take a look at the typical diesel-powered refrigeration unit made by Carrier or similar.  They're pretty dirt simple, N/A diesel engines.  Kubota makes some for small tractors and generator sets and the like as well.

Not exactly daily drivers though, are they?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 19, 2015, 05:15:09 PM
Not exactly daily drivers though, are they?

Didn't specify "in cars or trucks".  They don't really make any "simple" gas engines for cars anymore, either.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on September 19, 2015, 11:57:29 AM
You forget how deep German car owners Stockholm syndrome goes. This has not at all affected my desire for a new GTI
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2015, 06:56:02 PM
You forget how deep German car owners Stockholm syndrome goes. This has not at all affected my desire for a new GTI

The product is still great... the problem is crippling EPA regulations, and the damage they can do when you cross them.

12,000 RPM

I'd rather "crippling" regulations 99% of companies manage to meet without issue than the air quality of a third world country. That shit is going to be a big piece of china's downfall

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on September 19, 2015, 05:56:06 AM

C'mon, man.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2015, 08:41:10 PM
I'd rather "crippling" regulations 99% of companies manage to meet without issue than the air quality of a third world country. That shit is going to be a big piece of china's downfall

It's worked wonders in Europe, esp. Paris:

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2015, 08:41:10 PM

Don't get me wrong... the EPA has mostly been a success and I'm thankful it exists. But WRT vehicle emissions I think they've gotten too restrictive and controlling.

Galaxy

Quote from: Rockraven on September 19, 2015, 10:08:01 PM
Don't get me wrong... the EPA has mostly been a success and I'm thankful it exists. But WRT vehicle emissions I think they've gotten too restrictive and controlling.

VW did not miss emissions by .02% they missed by 1000 -4000%, while at the same time they ran commercials like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPyHrPZbVM&feature=youtu.be

If in your commercial someone gets arrested for not composting, what is the punishment for cheating at emissions testing?  :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on September 19, 2015, 09:33:25 PM

Lol right because every developed country with emissions standards has deadly smog

Come on bro even you aren't this obtuse

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on September 19, 2015, 09:33:25 PM

Lol I've seen worse before and after pictures in villages with no cars, could just be all the old ladies out sweeping dust.
Will

Payman

Quote from: Galaxy on September 19, 2015, 11:49:17 PM

VW did not miss emissions by .02% they missed by 1000 -4000%, while at the same time they ran commercials like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPyHrPZbVM&feature=youtu.be

If in your commercial someone gets arrested for not composting, what is the punishment for cheating at emissions testing?  :lol:

I can't even... that sounds like an old Rambler running on leaded gas. You still can't see anything coming from a TDi tailpipe on the road.  :huh:

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on September 20, 2015, 07:22:33 AM
I can't even... that sounds like an old Rambler running on leaded gas. You still can't see anything coming from a TDi tailpipe on the road.  :huh:

They reportedly failed NOx (which has been a problem for diesels in the US since diesels emit more NOx than petrol engines), not particulates or hydrocarbons.  You wouldn't be able to see NOx.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Payman

Oh Jesus, this is going to be catastrophic...

Following the government investigation of Volkswagen's diesel emissions, The Detroit News reports the automaker ordered its U.S. dealerships to halt sales of new 2016 and remaining 2015 TDI car models with 2.0-liter diesel engines.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board, VW dodged federal emissions requirements for some 482,000 of its diesel cars — including the Passat, Jetta, Golf, Beetle, SportWagens and Audi A3 — manufactured from 2009 to 2015. The models contain a "defeat device" which exists to detect when the car is under testing conditions, allowing for it to activate the full emissions-control systems only in those circumstances.

In other words, environmental officials say that the street cars are emitting between 10 and 40 times the amount of allowable nitrogen oxide pollution, which is not only illegal but harmful to both the environment and public.

The EPA is taking action on 2016 diesel models. Christopher Grundler, director of the EPA Office of Transportation of Air Quality, said that the government will not grant VW a "certificate of conformity" to sell the 2016 models with 2.0-liter diesel engines, meaning they cannot be sold.

VW dealers have been waiting for the 2016 models to replenish showrooms. Most U.S. VW dealers don't have any remaining 2015 diesel cars to sell.

VW is barred from selling 2016 model vehicles with the 2.0 liter diesel engine until "they get answers to the questions of how these vehicles are being operated. Volkswagen couldn't explain why we're getting these excess emissions," Grundler said.
Meanwhile, whatever 2015 models remain on lots have also been ordered not to be sold. As Automotive News notes, four-cylinder TDI models account for 20 to 25 percent of VW's U.S. sales, so this is going to hurt.

In addition, VW has ordered an outside investigation to find out what happened and "reverse the damage this has caused," CEO Martin Winterkorn said in an apologetic statement.

According to the EPA, the agency is now checking to see if other automakers are bypassing the laws on diesel engines as well.

While no official recall is underway just yet, the News reports:

EPA said VW violated federal law and, in theory, could face fines of up to $18 billion — $37,500 per vehicle — as well as criminal prosecution. Both agencies issued notices of non-compliance to VW Friday, a step necessary before ordering a recall.
The EPA will not take action to stop VW owners from driving their personal cars until a solution is made available, but VW did remove its "clean diesel" advertisements from YouTube and television.

Eye of the Tiger

EPA is so greedy. What would they do with $18billion? Pay lobbyists?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MexicoCityM3

By the way the same guys that investigated this also tested a diesel X5. It passed emissions on real world driving unlike the vee dubs.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

EPA is one of the worse federal agencies - from pushing power into the hands of ME dictators to killing jobs to stifling innovation to destroying wealth to harming the environment. It's awful and WtP should never have put up with it.

I hate diesels of course but this *almost* makes me want to go buy a VW TDi.

280Z Turbo

The winner is the EPA. The loser is the consumer.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 20, 2015, 11:36:00 AM
By the way the same guys that investigated this also tested a diesel X5. It passed emissions on real world driving unlike the vee dubs.
Lol I salute your fanboism  :lol:

MrH

Lol yeah. All I can think of, "can I get a diesel Jetta wagon for pennies on the dollar and flash it?!"

Mother Nature hates me for sure.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 20, 2015, 11:36:00 AM

BMW Diesels use Urea.