Is AWD oversold?

Started by Klackamas, October 02, 2015, 08:27:48 PM

Klackamas

I'm watching this in disbelief.

Where's "the brains of the car make 800,000,000 calculations a second, transfer power to the wheel with the most traction and off you go?"

Yes, I know there's mechanical systems also involved, so it's slower, but AWD is not what it's advertised, is it? Or am I missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJh3IPgXN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at9MBPhpJAQ

http://www.subaruofkeene.com/subaru-all-wheel-drive.htm     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpp5tW71qYI

I'm not endorsing any of them. The last one is long (in a slavic language I think), but it's pretty good.
Maybe they all perform OK under their own factory stilted positions.
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

2o6

Those videos don't really prove anything

GoCougs

Any such videos are carefully crafted IMO to play to a particular car's strengths or weaknesses.

There are many iterations of AWD and particular power split - how, when, magnitude, response.

The first video shows the G37x (AWD) not moving with the rear wheels on rollers. I can confirm however the G37x's snow and wet road traction/performance is excellent (and I drive a lot in both).

12,000 RPM

People who are serious about snow traction switch to the tires appropriate for the job. Once that's done drive wheels are largely irrelevant.....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 03, 2015, 06:16:07 PM
People who are serious about snow traction switch to the tires appropriate for the job. Once that's done drive wheels are largely irrelevant.....

Nope, not at all.

Rupert

Aye, drive wheels are important. You can get by with few issues with a lightweight RWD car, yes, but FWD or any kind of AWD or a good AWD are going to be better (in order of betterness, even). Does that mean you "need" AWD in a place with snow? No, of course not.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on October 03, 2015, 01:51:35 PM
Any such videos are carefully crafted IMO to play to a particular car's strengths or weaknesses.

There are many iterations of AWD and particular power split - how, when, magnitude, response.

The first video shows the G37x (AWD) not moving with the rear wheels on rollers. I can confirm however the G37x's snow and wet road traction/performance is excellent (and I drive a lot in both).

Yeah, but if you drove on rollers, you'd know how much it suckssss. :rage:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

A true 4wd with locked diff and bald tires will be better in snow than rwd and best snow tires available.
Will

Rupert

That's not true either. You've got to stop and turn somehow.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

CALL_911

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 04, 2015, 06:20:17 AM
A true 4wd with locked diff and bald tires will be better in snow than rwd and best snow tires available.
No chance

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Snow mobiles stop and turn, and they only have one wheel drive.  :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

So just put a mat trax thing on one wheel and take off the opposing wheel?

giant_mtb

Nah.

280Z Turbo

Yeah, 4WD is a big deal in the snow. It obviously doesn't matter when you're braking, but being able to accelerate efficiently is also a safety issue.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 04, 2015, 02:16:03 PM
Yeah, 4WD is a big deal in the snow. It obviously doesn't matter when you're braking, but being able to accelerate efficiently is also a safety issue.

You can adjust for braking and turning regardless of tires (as we all do all the time for varying conditions), but if you can't even move (or more importantly, keep moving)...you're, ya know, stuck.

MrH

Um, no. Good try.

BRZ even on blizzaks is a disaster in the snow. Can't get any starting traction.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on October 04, 2015, 02:28:11 PM
Um, no. Good try.

BRZ even on blizzaks is a disaster in the snow. Can't get any starting traction.

Sandbags in trunk. :ohyeah: :lol:

MX793

Quote from: MrH on October 04, 2015, 02:28:11 PM
Um, no. Good try.

Sounds like a personal problem.  I ran 5 winters in Upstate NY in a 240SX on all-seasons.  Wasn't ideal, but hardly a disaster.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on October 04, 2015, 03:56:13 PM
Sounds like a personal problem.  I ran 5 winters in Upstate NY in a 240SX on all-seasons.  Wasn't ideal, but hardly a disaster.

I ran really crappy, used, generic all-seasons on a 2wd pickup through a Maine and Michigan winter.  The world almost ended.  J/k, it wasn't a problem.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Just a few inches of packed snow on the highway. Stop and go traffic. BRZ got stuck on a slight incline. A bunch of CRVs and Rav4s on all seasons were giving me the weirdest looks :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

MrH

That's why I'm selling it. Not golden retriever or lesbian friendly at all. The car is a total imposter.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

How the fuck have you had so many snow issues when you guys get 2/3 the snow of Columbus, and 1/4 the snow of Cleveland?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on October 04, 2015, 06:43:12 PM
How the fuck have you had so many snow issues when you guys get 2/3 the snow of Columbus, and 1/4 the snow of Cleveland?

Be careful.  You say shit like that too long and people get upset for calling them out on silly choices about snow tires.

Xer0

Last year we had an incredibly shitty and snowy winter in Chicago and I had no problems with the Si on performance all seasons that aren't rated well for the snow..  I'm sure it would be better with AWD, but I think people might put too much emphasis on the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJ_GTI

Snow tires definitely help more than AWD, but it doesn't make AWD irrelevant IMHO. AWD is still better at taking off and cornering in the snow even with snow tires on both.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 05, 2015, 07:34:32 AM
Snow tires definitely help more than AWD, but it doesn't make AWD irrelevant IMHO. AWD is still better at taking off and cornering in the snow even with snow tires on both.

Hills, too. My parent's SX4 has snow-tires and switchable AWD. There's a noticeable difference with AWD on vs. off, mainly sometimes they can't get up their driveway without AWD engaged.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on October 04, 2015, 05:03:42 PM
That's why I'm selling it. Not golden retriever or lesbian friendly at all. The car is a total imposter.

shoulda got the Scion
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 05, 2015, 08:26:12 AM
Hills, too. My parent's SX4 has snow-tires and switchable AWD. There's a noticeable difference with AWD on vs. off, mainly sometimes they can't get up their driveway without AWD engaged.

Yup. My mom's FWD Explorer was a big PITA for her last winter, even with snow tires. It did just fine in normal day to day winter driving, but the FWD becomes a big limiting factor when starting up hills, climbing hills, anything to do with hills, and deep snow or slush.  Stuff like merging or pulling onto the highway becomes a bitch, too. I mean, everyone adjusts to winter acceleration distances during the winter, but fuck does it suck when you're sitting there in a 2WD spinning trying to get onto the highway (or get through any intersection for that matter) before the cars coming have to slow down for you. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 06, 2015, 09:59:50 AM
Yup. My mom's FWD Explorer was a big PITA for her last winter, even with snow tires.

Huh, I hadn't realized that they switched to FWD/AWD instead of RWD/4x4.