Is AWD oversold?

Started by Klackamas, October 02, 2015, 08:27:48 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on October 06, 2015, 10:53:27 AM
Huh, I hadn't realized that they switched to FWD/AWD instead of RWD/4x4.

Indeed.  I believe theirs is a 2010? 2011?  Whatever year was first for the new model. They're selling it now that dad has Frontier and mom has Q5.  That Q5 is gonna be BEAST with snows.

Submariner

Meh.  It's only oversold if you hold it up to be more than it's worth.

My dad had an S430 4Matic which, even on all-seasons, managed to handle un-plowed roads (about as high as you could raise the air suspension) or slick highways with confidence. 

However, there have been plenty of cases where my moms Range Rover, with snow tires (and occasionally, chains) was the only way a road could be traversed.  There have been a few times where you absolutely need ground clearance and locking difs, though I suspect they are very few and far between.

The last time I drove on bad roads, my town got 2.5 feet of snow the night before.  There was between 12 and 18 inches still on the roads, and aside from my dad in his equally equipped G500, there were perhaps 8 or 10 other non-town vehicles we encountered the entire day.  All were SUV's or trucks, all had lockers, t-cases, lifts (or adjustable suspensions) and snow tires/chains.  A stock Outback wouldn't have made it down the driveway, let alone anywhere around town. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

I was an AWD non-believer until I drove my brother's S4 in a snowstorm.  Holy shit...even on all seasons, it acted like the snow wasn't even there. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on October 21, 2015, 06:37:33 AM
I was an AWD non-believer until I drove my brother's S4 in a snowstorm.  Holy shit...even on all seasons, it acted like the snow wasn't even there. 

welcome to reality. :mrcool:
Will

Laconian

We took the Subie up Mt. Rainier in a restricted stretch of road that required all 2WD cars to chain up. No problems at all. What was fun was hearing the CVT and ABS really going to town to keep things pointed forward and pointed in the right direction. The resulting ride was drama-free, but managing the traction made the car feel like it was possessed by demons.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on October 21, 2015, 11:34:33 AM
We took the Subie up Mt. Rainier in a restricted stretch of road that required all 2WD cars to chain up. No problems at all. What was fun was hearing the CVT and ABS really going to town to keep things pointed forward and pointed in the right direction. The resulting ride was drama-free, but managing the traction made the car feel like it was possessed by demons.

:lol:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on October 21, 2015, 11:34:33 AM

You could probably pull the ABS system fuse and have ot behave a bit better next time.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Nah, I think it was doing its jerb.

Eye of the Tiger

pull all fuses. drive enthusiast.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on October 03, 2015, 01:51:35 PM
Any such videos are carefully crafted IMO to play to a particular car's strengths or weaknesses.

There are many iterations of AWD and particular power split - how, when, magnitude, response.

The first video shows the G37x (AWD) not moving with the rear wheels on rollers. I can confirm however the G37x's snow and wet road traction/performance is excellent (and I drive a lot in both).
I agree. The G's AWD rocks in the snow.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 03, 2015, 06:16:07 PM
People who are serious about snow traction switch to the tires appropriate for the job. Once that's done drive wheels are largely irrelevant.....
LOL

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 04, 2015, 06:20:17 AM
A true 4wd with locked diff and bald tires will be better in snow than rwd and best snow tires available.
LOL

Laconian

Quote from: SVT666 on November 16, 2015, 11:40:33 PM
LOL
Yeah, my friend tested that theory a few years back. Car went sideways into the ditch. Driving was scary, it was like a form of surfing.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on November 17, 2015, 02:38:30 PM
Yeah, my friend tested that theory a few years back. Car went sideways into the ditch. Driving was scary, it was like a form of surfing.

Like surfing, it's fun and safe if you know what you're doing.

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 21, 2015, 06:51:34 AM
welcome to reality. :mrcool:

I can't wait until I have money again and I can buy that Evo I want. I'll never worry about snow again. Sunny and over 40? Z4. Anything else, Evo. Perfect two car garage for someone who doesn't have to haul things.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 17, 2015, 02:40:44 PM
Like surfing, it's fun and safe if you know what you're doing.

I don't know what I'm doing. This is why I bought 4x4 and snow tires.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 17, 2015, 04:14:20 PM
I don't know what I'm doing. This is why I bought 4x4 and snow tires.

I like surfing. That's why I bought an Element, brah.

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT666 on November 16, 2015, 11:39:55 PM
LOL

I LOL at the shit people here say about Winter driving constantly.  But they always think they're right. It's bizarre.

GoCougs

Drive wheels make a huge difference. Number of drive wheels makes a huge difference. Type of tire makes a huge difference.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on November 19, 2015, 06:17:43 PM
Drive wheels make a huge difference. Number of drive wheels makes a huge difference. Type of tire makes a huge difference.

Try telling Sporty that. He lives in a Carolina. He knows a lot about Winter driving.

SVT666

Tires make a bigger difference than drive wheels. Tires are the only thing connecting you to the road.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on November 19, 2015, 09:43:32 PM
Tires make a bigger difference than drive wheels. Tires are the only thing connecting you to the road.

Yeah, 4WD doesn't do shit when you're sliding down a hill. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SVT666 on November 19, 2015, 09:43:32 PM

meh, when I was a kid they didn't salt the roads. Whitepacked roads from Nov-April plus snow storms, slush, ice, etc...
I drove places on bald tires you wouldn't believe.    Real 4wd with the right gearing FTW.
Will

MX793

4WD can help you get going (2x-4x the forward traction of a 2WD with comparable tires, depending on differential type), but does little to help you turn or stop.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on November 20, 2015, 07:04:19 AM
4WD can help you get going (2x-4x the forward traction of a 2WD with comparable tires, depending on differential type), but does little to help you turn or stop.

Those suck in the snow anyway. :huh:
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 20, 2015, 07:26:25 AM

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here.

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 20, 2015, 07:26:25 AM

Traction all around is diminished in snow.  How much will depend on tires (tread depth, pattern, and compound).  2WD will have ~2x-4x the stopping traction than it has driving traction, depending on weight distribution over the drive wheels and differential type (e.g. can be a little less than 2x with a FWD and Limited slip).  4WD will have 1x-2x the stopping traction relative to driving traction, differential dependent.  The difference between a modern snow and modern A/S tire, both with fresh tread, is ~20-25% on snowy surfaces.

Let's say we have two vehicles of the same weight.  One is FWD with a limited slip and the other is a AWD/4WD with an open front and limited slip rear diff.  The stopping traction to driving traction ratio on the FWD is 1.9.  The same for the AWD is 1.67.  On all-season tires, both stop in 150 ft from 30 mph on uniform snowpack.  The FWD takes 285 ft to accelerate to 30 mph, the AWD takes 250.5 ft.  Now put snows on the FWD.  Traction is improved by 20%.  It now takes 228 ft to accelerate to 30 mph, which is better than the AWD.  It also stops well shorter, at 120 ft.  And that's all assuming both vehicles are running fresh tires.  Throw bald A/S tires on the AWD, and the AWD looks even worse.

Now, since limited slips on FWDs are relatively rare, let's take the example of an open diff FWD.  Many AWD are open diff front and rear, but we'll give it the benefit of one limited slip.  Same parameters as before, except the stopping to driving ratio on the FWD is now 3.8.
40-0:
FWD, A/S tires = 150 ft
AWD, A/S tires = 150 ft
0-40:
FWD, A/S tires = 570 ft
AWD, A/S tires = 250.5 ft

Now, replace the A/S tires on the FWD with snows, and replace the tires on the AWD with bald versions of the same tire.  Let's, generously, give the bald tires 50% of the traction that fresh ones would have.

40-0:
FWD, snow tires:  120 ft
AWD, bald A/S:  300 ft

0-40:
FWD, snow tires:  456 ft
AWD, bald tires:  501 ft

The only thing this doesn't account for is that snowy road surfaces seldom have uniform traction, and the AWD with one limited slip (or two, or one or more lockers) has a much higher probability of having a wheel sitting on a higher traction patch of road surface than a 2WD w/ open diff.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 20, 2015, 08:03:48 AM
I have no idea what point you're trying to make here.

You have to drive more carefully anyway.

BTW if you drive automatic and you are coming up on a stop where antilock kicks in or you're sliding, putting it into Neutral helps so the front tires aren't still getting pushed by the engine....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on November 20, 2015, 08:28:19 AM
Traction all around is diminished in snow.  blah blah

what about full locked-diff 4wd??
Will