Is AWD oversold?

Started by Klackamas, October 02, 2015, 08:27:48 PM

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on November 21, 2015, 09:07:57 PM
Yeah. I have never liked FWD in the snow. In the Mustang if I was pushing in a corner, I could control the turn with the throttle.

I used to use the handbrake a lot in FWD cars if I overcooked it and got understeer in a corner in the snow.  It was definitely less of a nervous situation to deal with than a RWD car in snow. 

I've driven AWD, FWD, and RWD in snow (no 4X4), and I'd rank them in that order.  Nothing that I couldn't deal with in each drivetrain, for the most part, as long as the snow wasn't too much for that car's height and tires, but RWD is definitely a more nervous experience than FWD. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

I find FWD and RWD to be equal in the "nervous" department, but I don't like that as soon as your front tires start to spin your car no longer turns. With RWD I never have that problem.

giant_mtb

RWD is nervous because you have to be (more) careful going up hills, accelerating, and cruise controlling.  FWD is nervous because once it starts to go wrong, you just have to hang on and go "fuckfuckfuckfuck" and maybe escape if you have an ebrake to pull or you find some traction.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 22, 2015, 04:51:13 PM
RWD is nervous because you have to be (more) careful going up hills, accelerating, and cruise controlling.  FWD is nervous because once it starts to go wrong, you just have to hang on and go "fuckfuckfuckfuck" and maybe escape if you have an ebrake to pull or you find some traction.

Eh, you just let off the gas and let the weight transfer and your steering inputs make up the difference.  When things start to go wrong in FWD, they go wrong slowly....when they go wrong in RWD, they go wrong fast.  Makes FWD easier to deal with, you have more time to think about what to do and react. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Tomato, tomato, apple, orange, potato potato.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 22, 2015, 04:51:13 PM

I would never use cruise control in low traction conditions, regardless of vehicle driven. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 22, 2015, 11:45:36 PM
I would never use cruise control in low traction conditions, regardless of vehicle driven. 

pfft Legacy CC is always on   :lol: :lol:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 22, 2015, 11:25:27 PM
Tomato, tomato, apple, orange, potato potato.

RWD is unstable and wrong because the center of force is behind the center of mass, and the center of opposing force created by the front axle.

FWD is unstable and wrong because the front tires cannot always handle doing all of the work - going, steering, stopping.

AWD.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

How the fuck are you guys going so fast you have to handbrake turn on low reaction to get around

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on November 23, 2015, 07:27:09 AM
How the fuck are you guys going so fast you have to handbrake turn on low reaction to get around

y u drive like gramma?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)