Dirtbike

Started by giant_mtb, October 04, 2015, 05:33:27 PM

BENZ BOY15

Sounds fun.

Logging roads?

giant_mtb

Not so much yesterday.  Did mostly old railroad grades turned ORV/snowmobile trail and power lines. There are soooo many old trails and roads from all the mining stuff.

giant_mtb

Took the blinkers off.  No need for them since I'm not streeting it.  They're just getting scratched up.  Cleans up the look a lot. 

giant_mtb

Since I took the blinkers off, I used those mounts for aux LED lights. The stock headlight is fine for the road but fairly weak for trail.  The pictures exaggerate a bit how bad the stock light is because camera (I can ride comfortably at night), but...

For less than $30 spent on lights and harness, I'm super pleased.  Haven't had a chance to really aim them yet...took my tools with me when I snapped those pictures, but the mosquitoes were horrible and I didn't DEET myself so I snapped the pics and moved. They're pretty good where they are, though. Exactly what I needed for more confident dark trail riding.

Only thing I don't like is that since I have them connected directly to the battery, the push-button switch has a red LED indicating Off that is constantly on. I don't know how/didn't try to wire the power into the on/off of the ignition.  I doubt it'll be an issue for the battery besides long storage, but it's still in the back of my head.

giant_mtb

They don't throw super far (they're flood pattern, after all), but they give me that awesome close range light you need when tackling rocks and roots and picking a line. 

And, no, I wasn't riding on a bike path. The No ATV sign is at the intersection of the bike path and the ATV trail and was a good reference point for the lights. Second set of pictures is from a section where the two actually combine for a few hundred feet before said intersection.

giant_mtb

Did 25 miles of single track today. It was tough and tiring, but epic.  Had a few impacts...it's only got 9.5" clearance without rider, so some of the deeper ruts and bigger rocks became obstacles.  It was like riding mtb single track, but dirt bike sized. Lots of ruts, whoops, technical climbs, ferns covering your trail, etc.  My new standard!  Hoping to make this a weekly ride as a sort of workout/gut check.  Started getting  pretty tired after about 18 miles. Dumped it in a couple corners and picked some sloppy lines as a result, but that's what handguards are for.  Definitely the most epic riding a 230L has probably ever done.  Took me about 2.5 hours with breaks and used about 1/3 of a tank. :lol:

Had the trail to myself.  Empty parking lot and didn't see any signs of fresh tracks anywhere.  New tires were killer.  Noticed some actual wear on the rear tire afterwards.

BENZ BOY15

Looks very green and pretty.

How fast could you go on a trail like that?

SVT_Power

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on July 26, 2016, 02:06:34 AM

Probably as fast as your survival instincts will allow
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on July 26, 2016, 02:06:34 AM

Depends. It was a lot of second gear, with short spurts of 3rd.  So anywhere from 5-25mph depending on the immediate terrain.

And as mentioned, yeah, pretty much as fast as you're willing to go. It was not easy at all. But so fun and worth it.  It's the kind of riding I like to do...excited to get a real bike.  A KTM 350 XC-F is in my future, methinks/hopes. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

I was seriously considering replacing the Head Lights on the Warrior with some LEDs. What kind did you use?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on July 26, 2016, 04:16:26 PM
I was seriously considering replacing the Head Lights on the Warrior with some LEDs. What kind did you use?

I'd recommend it, man.  They're awesomely bright.  Can't speak to their longevity, but they feel solid and well-made.  Dumped the bike a couple times yesterday and bumped many a stick and branch and they didn't budge.  Basically, $30 total invested and an hour to install/wire 'em up...maybe 2-3 hours if you're the "look, I mounted a bracket, time for a beer!" kinda tinkerer like I tend to be. :lol:

Lights: https://amzn.com/B00T62RK1U
Harness: https://amzn.com/B00EZ9Y33W

Gotta-Qik-C7

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on July 26, 2016, 06:19:40 PM
OK! Thanks!!!!

:ohyeah:

How's the Warrior these days?  Did you get it up to camp yet? 

giant_mtb

So ready for a real bike.  Gahhhhh.  I really don't like the local KTM dealer, but I wonder if they have any sweet financing deals.  No way I could buy a new bike outright, but I wannnnnnts.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 26, 2016, 09:02:29 PM
:ohyeah:

How's the Warrior these days?  Did you get it up to camp yet? 
Yeah I took it up on Memorial Day! Then my cousin rode the crap out (damn near non stop) of it on the Fourth Of July and broke an inner Tie Rod on the second day of the weekend!!!!!  :facepalm: I'm heading back up on the 18 of next month so I'll fix it then! I'm jst pissed that I'll have to work on the damn thing after all the work I've put into it!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on July 26, 2016, 09:14:14 PM
Yeah I took it up on Memorial Day! Then my cousin rode the crap out (damn near non stop) of it on the Fourth Of July and broke an inner Tie Rod on the second day of the weekend!!!!!  :facepalm: I'm heading back up on the 18 of next month so I'll fix it then! I'm jst pissed that I'll have to work on the damn thing after all the work I've put into it!

Fack!  How many beers did he have? :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 26, 2016, 09:19:39 PM
Fack!  How many beers did he have? :lol:
NONE! He doesn't drink!  :huh: He got in over his head! This was his first real seat time on a Quad! He met up with some guys on dirt bikes and they were kicking ass on some trails! He tried to keep up and took a small jump and landed at a weird angle! The Tie Rod snapped were it meets the rod! IDK how he managed not to hurt himself!

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 26, 2016, 09:05:57 PM
So ready for a real bike.  Gahhhhh.  I really don't like the local KTM dealer, but I wonder if they have any sweet financing deals.  No way I could buy a new bike outright, but I wannnnnnts.

450?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 26, 2016, 09:40:45 PM
450?

Nah, 350. I'm light.  450 is too much for me and enduro.

giant_mtb

Finally got some real boots.  Just been rockin' steel-toe hiking/work boots.  Finally tore the laces up on the left one from shifting, so...

Got me some Alpinestars Tech 1 boots.  Was *this* close to just ordering a cheaper, $120ish pair from the internet, but I knew I should try things on before buying.  Hit up the local powersports place.  They had some Fly Maverick boots - $120 - that I tried on...not much padding, felt pretty plasticy.  So I took one step up to the $199 Tech 1's and it's a night and day difference.  Well worth the extra $80 and I'm glad I went and tried 'em out before just ordering cheap-o's.  Also got a cheap jersey and some elbow guards.  Only "gear" I don't have at this point is basically riding pants and a chest protector.

Walked in with $180 cash with no intention of spending it all on boots, but spent about a hundred more after all was said and done.  But I'm happy with my purchase. 

Follow up:

Bought a size 10. Put it on with my socks and knee guards and stuff and sat on my bike...too big. My toe was just too long for comfort and I had a little play in my foot. Went back and they exchanged em no questions asked and I got a 9.  Much better. Nice and tight, and they'll loosen up a bit over time, so there'll be room for warm socks in the fall if I need em.  It's about 83 out now and they're hot, but not unbearable.

Kinda tough to get used to compared to ankle-high work boots. Totally different motion for shifting.  Cant just flick the ankle.  Kinda have to move your whOle leg. Need to adjust my controls a bit.  They feel nice and safe.  I've got skinny little legs, so theyre basically as tight as they're able to go, and they're perfect. The 10s were definitely too big. If they made half sizes, I'd probably get an 8.5.  :lol:

giant_mtb

Did some camping and riding.  Washed her up today when I got home.

Cookie Monster

Awesome pics man. :ohyeah:

I feel like looking at this thread has inspired me to get my X and try to get dirt wheels so I can do some of the same stuff. I'll definitely be trailering it around with the Miata to go dirt biking. :rockon:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

You have to!  It's a blast. Two wheels are always fun. Would be sweet to have an on and off road wheelset for a bike like yours. 

Is the suspension any different or adjustable?  I'm guessing it's tuned a bit differently for street use, but all the travel is there and it's not like you couldn't take it off road as is.  My bike certainly isn't really meant for a lot of the shit I throw at it, but it does just fine and it's bone stock. :ohyeah:

Cookie Monster

Yep!

It's got the full travel of a dirt bike. The only difference between the 250R and 250X is the front rotor, gearing and wheels/tires. The X also has a black frame and swingarm vs silver on the R, but otherwise the suspension is all the same. The X also has the skidplate as well, which will be very useful offroad.

I'm a complete n00b at dirt biking (only been once before) so I'm not planning on throwing anything crazy at it yet. Just want to do simple trails  and explore, really.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Oh nice. I was thinking they'd have it all tuned differently and shit.  Skid plate is definitely prime.

First things first...bark busters.  Otherwise you're gonna be snappin clutch and brake levers left and right when you dump it. :devil: :lol:

Also super nice to have for tighter trails so brush and branches aren't hitting your hands and/or slamming on your front brake for you.  And the first time you bump a tree with them...omg you're so happy you have them instead of broken fingers.

MSR or Moose are the way to go. Cheap ones are too small for real bikes (even mine).

giant_mtb

Also, seems weird to me that the off road bike doesn't have a skid plate stock but the R does...?  Why do you need a skid plate on the street when you probably have 10+" of clearance. :lol:

Cookie Monster

Sorry to continue the thread jack - the R looks like it may or may not have a skid plate? Some stock pics show it having one and some don't. The X looks like it doesn't, but mine definitely has one, so maybe it was installed afterwards?

I might look at getting a beefier one.

Good call on the barkbusters. I don't really like the look of hand guards, but they'd be nice off road. I can probably swap them off in a couple of minutes anyways to go back to supermoto mode.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Yeah, coulda been installed after. Handguards are pretty easy to install, so they'd be just as easy to take off.  Like most things, the first time takes a minute but after that, it's easy peasy.  Definitely recommend.  I must have gone through at least my handguards' worth in brake and clutch levers in my first couple months of riding. Not that I was bad or uncomfortable on two wheels, but riding dirt with power and 250+ pounds is a different ball game than mountain biking or riding powered wheels on pavement, which was where all my 2 wheel experience was.  Depending on what sort of dirt you end up riding, it may be a total non-issue for you, though, but yeah. Relatively cheap investment to keep yourself from suddenly ending your ride because you washed out in some sand and snapped a clutch lever.  Or spend a few extra bucks for the fancy levers that are designed to pivot out fully when dumped and skip the handguards.

giant_mtb

Basically what I'm saying is that falling is inevitable.  Happens to everyone, whether it's because they were trying something difficult or because a hidden root jacked em off the bike. 

BimmerM3

Dammit, I haven't even learned to ride yet and y'all are making me want to go get a dirt bike. :lol: I'm sure there are some awesome trails around CO.