Autonomous Cars

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 08, 2015, 08:53:13 AM

Laconian

<kneejerk>Clearly autonomous cars have some ways to go! How can we trust them on the road if they keep getting T-boned? I drive daily without getting in serious accidents; these things must be deathtraps!</kneejerk>
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on January 15, 2018, 05:43:25 AM

https://blog.caranddriver.com/gm-to-launch-driverless-car-in-2019-with-no-steering-wheel-or-pedals/

So will it be owned and operated by this Cruise AV firm, or will a third company assume operating liability? Would an established company like Über (as established as they are I guess) be able to purchase a fleet and just tie them into their app?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

My guess would be someone like Uber will buy them and put them under a corporate insurance/liability program.  I don't think the liability issue has been sorted out yet for consumer usage.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

O I didn't realize this was actually coming out next year. Hopefully they don't Tesla it. I can't see GM announcing something they can't deliver; they don't have that luxury.

Hopefully this gets the ball rolling along with all the shit drivers on the road.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 15, 2018, 11:25:39 AM
O I didn't realize this was actually coming out next year. Hopefully they don't Tesla it. I can't see GM announcing something they can't deliver; they don't have that luxury.

Hopefully this gets the ball rolling along with all the shit drivers on the road.

"it's likely the initial batch of Cruise AVs will be limited to the San Francisco and Phoenix areas—the two cities where GM has tested the vehicle."

And owned by the company. Not for sale to the public. They have to hail the cars by app, like Uber.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

hope they don't scrap them, like they did their electric cars.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 15, 2018, 02:37:36 PM
hope they don't scrap them, like they did their electric cars.

BYU's mechanical engineering department actually has an EV1 hidden away in one of the shops... The big back window is missing but otherwise I think it'll still run with a bit of maintenance
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/15/autonomous-car-guidelines-summer/

US DOT will release new guidelines for autonomous cars AND trucks this summer...
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 15, 2018, 02:52:13 PM
BYU's mechanical engineering department actually has an EV1 hidden away in one of the shops... The big back window is missing but otherwise I think it'll still run with a bit of maintenance

GM has a few of them still. Sometimes one is on display at the design dome at the Warren tech center. The Henry Ford museum has one too I believe.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 15, 2018, 12:13:19 PM
"it's likely the initial batch of Cruise AVs will be limited to the San Francisco and Phoenix areas—the two cities where GM has tested the vehicle."

And owned by the company. Not for sale to the public. They have to hail the cars by app, like Uber.
Still for use by the public, which is a huge deal.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 15, 2018, 03:21:20 PM
GM has a few of them still. Sometimes one is on display at the design dome at the Warren tech center. The Henry Ford museum has one too I believe.

I used to have an EV1 dash board back when I worked in interiors. Felt like I was holding a piece of history.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 11, 2018, 02:18:35 PM
Two riders of an autonomous car went to the hospital.

A small human-driven box truck ran a red light and T-boned them.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/10/argo-ai-self-driving-test-car-hit-in-pittsburgh-as-truck-runs-red-light/
Time to ged rid of traffic lights.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Autonomous trucks will be HUGE. Not sure how many hundreds of thousands of people make a living driving commercial vehicles, but the UPS union is already fighting losing their jobs:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/union-heavyweight-wants-to-ban-ups-from-using-drones-or-driverless-vehicles/ar-AAv7UJH?li=AA4Zjn&ocid=ientp
Will

r0tor

Can't we just go back to trains

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 24, 2018, 02:17:57 PM
Autonomous trucks will be HUGE. Not sure how many hundreds of thousands of people make a living driving commercial vehicles, but the UPS union is already fighting losing their jobs:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/union-heavyweight-wants-to-ban-ups-from-using-drones-or-driverless-vehicles/ar-AAv7UJH?li=AA4Zjn&ocid=ientp

I always thought companies like UPS and FedEX would be all over getting autonomous vehicles on the road. However, you still need to have somebody physically deliver the package from the truck to the door.  And let's be real, those delivery drivers drive like they're on a fuckin' mission whereas autonomous vehicles drive very...sensibly, let's say.  They're almost irreplaceable until the tech actually exceeds them (ie, crazy fast running robots and shit).

AutobahnSHO

Good thinking, they could be doing the paperwork and chilling while riding to the next stop while the computer drives.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 24, 2018, 03:59:54 PM
I always thought companies like UPS and FedEX would be all over getting autonomous vehicles on the road. However, you still need to have somebody physically deliver the package from the truck to the door.  And let's be real, those delivery drivers drive like they're on a fuckin' mission whereas autonomous vehicles drive very...sensibly, let's say.  They're almost irreplaceable until the tech actually exceeds them (ie, crazy fast running robots and shit).

Both those companies already run dedicated triple trailer rigs; Which are used only on interstates and are broken down as soon as they exit. I expect these will be the first to go autonomous.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 24, 2018, 05:00:27 PM
Both those companies already run dedicated triple trailer rigs; Which are used only on interstates and are broken down as soon as they exit. I expect these will be the first to go autonomous.

Yeah, for the long-haul stuff I can see it happening.  But drones and local deliveries?  Gonna be a while.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 24, 2018, 05:10:06 PM
Yeah, for the long-haul stuff I can see it happening.  But drones and local deliveries?  Gonna be a while.

Local deliveries will likely be the last step. Even then, the driver may be more of a runner and package grabber, while the vehicle drives. And when its empty, a full one will show up and the empty one go back to the warehouse while the "driver" switches vehicles on the fly.

Morris Minor

I think the trucks may need a "captain," much like driverless trains - to deal with emergencies etc.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 24, 2018, 08:17:36 PM
I think the trucks may need a "captain," much like driverless trains - to deal with emergencies etc.

Sorta like a train ;).

Morris Minor

If your low ability causes you crash a Tesla, just blame Tesla Autopilot. This will cause the unquestioning, incurious, low-ability MSM to make it headline news.

Tesla 'on Autopilot' slams into parked fire truck on California freeway
A Tesla Model S reportedly on "Autopilot" smashed into the back of a fire truck parked at a freeway accident scene Monday morning, authorities said.
Two investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board are expected to arrive in Los Angeles on Wednesday to probe the crash, and will focus on "the driver's actions and how the vehicle performed," Bloomberg reported Jan. 23.
More:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/22/tesla-on-autopilot-slams-into-parked-fire-truck-on-freeway/

AutobahnSHO

Sounds like either the car or the driver braked some- 65mph but then no injuries..
Will

Morris Minor

I can see autonomous car makers spending more and more time digging out hard data proving their customers are dishonest idiots for trying to shift blame for their crashes.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 25, 2018, 06:15:18 AM
I can see autonomous car makers spending more and more time digging out hard data proving their customers are dishonest idiots for trying to the shift blame for their crashes.

I'm sure they'll have cameras recording soon.

Prove the car was not to blame in a human hitting the autonomous car, and/or that the driver was to blame (this case) and/or protect the manufacturer from insurance claims from other cars or their own occupants (like this case).
Will

Laconian

In 10 years the tables will turn and we'll have headlines like:

Distracted Human Driver Slams Into Truck, Blames Squishy "Analog" Brain
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

all humans will be outmoded, soon we will only be geth

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 25, 2018, 06:15:18 AM
I can see autonomous car makers spending more and more time digging out hard data proving their customers are dishonest idiots for trying to shift blame for their crashes.
And why not? Why should they be held liable for their buyers' stupidity? That should be embedded in the software from the get go.

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 25, 2018, 12:10:43 PM
And why not? Why should they be held liable for their buyers' stupidity? That should be embedded in the software from the get go.
No reason why not. In fact make a summary of the vitals immediately available to the responding officer: speed, autopilot status, cruise control status, cellphone status, whether driver was engaged in a foul & shameful act of self-pollution. :lol: