Autonomous Cars

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 08, 2015, 08:53:13 AM

AutobahnSHO

They really don't depend on GPS too much yet.

If I were in design, I'd get the GPS working with maps with other cars sharing info (Like if there is an accident ahead, start slowing down beforehand AND COMMUNICATE to the driver why).

You could also use accelerometers and steering and speedometer to always be plotting exactly where the car is going, if GPS signal gets flakey or lost (tunnels, buildings in cities).  This could also help if the car thinks it's going one way and GPS says it's going another, like on ice. (would have to be a super micro level for this to help)...
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 28, 2016, 06:07:25 PM
They really don't depend on GPS too much yet.

If I were in design, I'd get the GPS working with maps with other cars sharing info (Like if there is an accident ahead, start slowing down beforehand AND COMMUNICATE to the driver why).

You could also use accelerometers and steering and speedometer to always be plotting exactly where the car is going, if GPS signal gets flakey or lost (tunnels, buildings in cities).  This could also help if the car thinks it's going one way and GPS says it's going another, like on ice. (would have to be a super micro level for this to help)...

All joking aside.  Wouldn't it just be easier to require people to learn to blanking drive a car?   

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CLKid on July 28, 2016, 06:10:36 PM
All joking aside.  Wouldn't it just be easier to require people to learn to blanking drive a car?   

No, they already put computers in car, they will be far more capable in ~30yrs of driving than people.

Just like dishwashers and computers free people from so much manual work, it will give the human race more time to goof off if we don't have to steer ourselves. :lol:
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 28, 2016, 06:13:56 PM
No, they already put computers in car, they will be far more capable in ~30yrs of driving than people.

Just like dishwashers and computers free people from so much manual work, it will give the human race more time to goof off if we don't have to steer ourselves. :lol:

:banghead:

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 28, 2016, 06:13:56 PM

A computer will, unfortunately, never have judgment or wisdom. It seems an inevitable concession now, but it's not a good thing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2016, 07:33:31 AM
A computer will, unfortunately, never have judgment or wisdom. It seems an inevitable concession now, but it's not a good thing.

From casual observation, I'd say the majority of people on the road lack judgement and wisdom as well...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Why is that even necessary? Car just needs to go to its destination without hitting anything.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Eventually, driving a car yourself will be about the equivalent of riding a dirtbike or quad or ORVing now.  Can only take certain routes, gotta buy a license sticker, get a ticket if you're riding/driving in the wrong place, etc.

Once all the autonomous cars start talking to each other and the whole infrastructure is there, there's no turning back.

Granted, I doubt I'll see the entire shift in my lifetime, but that's the path it'll take, I bet.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 31, 2016, 04:31:50 PM
Eventually, driving a car yourself will be about the equivalent of riding a dirtbike or quad or ORVing now.  Can only take certain routes, gotta buy a license sticker, get a ticket if you're riding/driving in the wrong place, etc.

Once all the autonomous cars start talking to each other and the whole infrastructure is there, there's no turning back.

Granted, I doubt I'll see the entire shift in my lifetime, but that's the path it'll take, I bet.

ORV'ing limitations are based more on conservation of public land.  Licensing fees cover trail and property upkeep, same as vehicle registrations for street vehicles.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on July 31, 2016, 04:51:08 PM
ORV'ing limitations are based more on conservation of public land.  Licensing fees cover trail and property upkeep, same as vehicle registrations for street vehicles.

I know, but once the majority of vehicles become autonomous and the infrastructure turns us into drones riding in all the same vehicle to get to work and back, I feel like that's how it will be. 

AutobahnSHO

Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 06, 2017, 08:40:04 AM
Yay China is going to pass us up here too

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/baidu-apos-apollo-platform-becomes-043659695.html

Given how poorly Asians drive, I'm sure there's a much bigger push for autonomy in that part of the world.

:lol:
Needs more Jiggawatts

AutobahnSHO

Will

BimmerM3

Morris Minor

Drove up to a roundabout yesterday - it was well-signed, quiet rural area, & nicely laid out. A simple, uncrowded, four-way roundabout. Drove around, we were continuing straight, and there before us was a Jeep Cherokee, backing up because s/he'd missed the exit.
If autonomous vehicle systems have IQs higher than the average small plank of wood, we'll be doing better than we're doing today.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2016, 07:33:31 AM
Computers judge all the time. Do you think there is some human sitting and watching all your transactions to catch a fraudulent one? Or scanning thousands of widgets a second to catch defective ones?

Computers can acquire wisdom as well. Very quickly. Machine learning is a well established science.

The hurdle isn't the technology; there is already tech out there as is. It's the logistical hurdles and figuring out how to get computers to learn all the different scenarios and situations.

And yea, I'm with Morris- I definitely trust a computer way more than the dozens of yutzes I have to pass on the right every single day on my commute. If humans have "wisdom and judgment" they choose not to utilize it on the road.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

I think a couple of key factors will be establishing standards for both vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications. Once those are in place we can get really serious,
The transition will be daunting. Mixing old human-driven cars with the new ones?  Ugh - don't wanna think about it. They'd have to be segregated somehow.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 18, 2017, 06:24:26 AM
Computers judge all the time. Do you think there is some human sitting and watching all your transactions to catch a fraudulent one? Or scanning thousands of widgets a second to catch defective ones?

Computers can acquire wisdom as well. Very quickly. Machine learning is a well established science.

The hurdle isn't the technology; there is already tech out there as is. It's the logistical hurdles and figuring out how to get computers to learn all the different scenarios and situations.

And yea, I'm with Morris- I definitely trust a computer way more than the dozens of yutzes I have to pass on the right every single day on my commute. If humans have "wisdom and judgment" they choose not to utilize it on the road.

That's not judgement.  That's rigidly following a predefined algorithm that is only as good as the person who wrote it.   Those computers don't learn from past experience, and therefore cannot possess wisdom.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on July 18, 2017, 06:33:52 AM
That's not judgement.  That's rigidly following a predefined algorithm that is only as good as the person who wrote it.   Those computers don't learn from past experience, and therefore cannot possess wisdom.

A lot of neural networking and AI development is indeed computers learning from previous outcomes, but it's still a long ways off.

Fully autonomous cars have the power of life and death over not only their own occupants, but of everyone on or near the road. Of course the flipside to that is that my mother-in-law has that same power right now and I'd trust trust an Atari 2600 over her; even if I have to blow on the cartridge and pop it in just right.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 18, 2017, 07:09:18 AM
A lot of neural networking and AI development is indeed computers learning from previous outcomes, but it's still a long ways off.

Fully autonomous cars have the power of life and death over not only their own occupants, but of everyone on or near the road. Of course the flipside to that is that my mother-in-law has that same power right now and I'd trust trust an Atari 2600 over her; even if I have to blow on the cartridge and pop it in just right.
True, we're still a ways away from a positronic brain; but would we trust it were it ever to be developed?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 18, 2017, 06:33:15 AM
I think a couple of key factors will be establishing standards for both vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications. Once those are in place we can get really serious,
The transition will be daunting. Mixing old human-driven cars with the new ones?  Ugh - don't wanna think about it. They'd have to be segregated somehow.

there will be a tipping point where automated is safer than human driven. Then insurance rates for humans will sky rocket and everyone except rich will be forced into autonomous cars. Because then only the rich will be able to afford to drive themselves.

Really the interesting time will be when mixed driving is available. And I figure cameras will become even more popular than in Russia. Because a car computer can't testify for itself, and the occupants will be distracted...
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 18, 2017, 06:24:26 AM

True. I've seen internet comment sections. People aren't as smart as we/they think.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 18, 2017, 07:40:25 AM
True. I've seen internet comment sections. People aren't as smart as we/they think.
I mean people are comparing maximum human potential to beta Windows 8. In real life a computer doesn't have to be Ayrton Senna to be significantly better than the average American driver. If not for people's paralyzing fear of autonomous cars they'd be willing to acknowledge this obvious fact.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 18, 2017, 07:09:18 AM
Of course the flipside to that is that my mother-in-law has that same power right now and I'd trust trust an Atari 2600 over her; even if I have to blow on the cartridge and pop it in just right.

Official Carspin Comment Of the Day (TM)
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 18, 2017, 07:15:19 AM
True, we're still a ways away from a positronic brain; but would we trust it were it ever to be developed?

As long as we remain faithful servants, we need not fear our new masters.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 18, 2017, 08:35:37 AM
As long as we remain faithful servants, we need not fear our new masters.
Once the robots realize that they are intellectually superior, we will become their pets.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Eventually, the machines will realize how fragile biological life is. At that point, they will initiate, through computer control systems, a global thermonuclear war, destroying the human race. The rise of the machines is coming. 

It's not a tuummma!   :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on July 18, 2017, 09:10:30 AM
Eventually, the machines will realize how fragile biological life is. At that point, they will initiate, through computer control systems, a global thermonuclear war, destroying the human race. The rise of the machines is coming. 

It's not a tuummma!   :lol:

No, we'll program them to protect us. Eventually they'll realize we are our own worst enemies and put us in cold storage to keep us safe.

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 18, 2017, 09:14:28 AM
No, we'll program them to protect us. Eventually they'll realize we are our own worst enemies and put us in cold storage to keep us safe.

That's a different movie.  :lol: