The importance of the status symbol aspect of vehicle ownership.

Started by shp4man, October 30, 2015, 09:33:06 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2015, 12:22:51 PM
A lot of the insecure Chinese folks I know care about how their parents perceive how they are perceived by others. It's like this neverending cycle of cross-generation nagging.
Wow that is inception level insecurity. That has to suck
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

ChrisV

Quote from: CLKid on November 10, 2015, 12:16:08 PM
I don't agree with that at all.  I personally couldn't care less what others think of what I buy and drive.   

I'll bet you won't buy certain cars or modify certain ways due to negative stereotypes. And I'll bet you care how you look/dress/or care how your hair is cut. And I'd bet you're damn well aware of other people's perceptions of you if you go out on a date or go on a business interview.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

93JC

Quote from: shp4man on October 30, 2015, 09:33:06 AM
Is the status symbol aspect of vehicle ownership more important than the function or cost/performance ratio to you?

Nope.

QuoteAre the luxury brand vehicles actually worth the added cost?

To me, no.

QuoteIs a Lexus better than a Toyota? Lincoln better than a Ford? Is a Mercedes really a better vehicle than a Buick? Or even a Dodge?

Yeah, they are objectively better in some respects. They tend to be quieter, tend to have more power, tend to have more luxury doodads. I don't really care about the luxury doodads and in the other respects it's just not worth the extra cost to me.

I have become an unthusiast. I just don't care.

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on November 10, 2015, 02:37:40 PM
I'll bet you won't buy certain cars or modify certain ways due to negative stereotypes.

If I act in that way it's because I have no interest in doing it to suit myself, not because I'm concerned about what others might think.

And I'd bet you're damn well aware of other people's perceptions of you if you go out on a date or go on a business interview.

I don't date now and when I did I worried about only what one other person felt.  It would be pretty shallow to go on a date and worry what the guy at the next table thinks.  Please tell me that's not something that concerns you.   Of course one is concerned about the interviewer's perceptions in a business interview setting.  Again, that has zip to do with what one drives.

And I'll bet you care how you look/dress/or care how your hair is cut.
Which matters not at all when talking about what one drives.

Soup DeVille

My car pleases me both when some people seem to be delighted by it and when other people are disgusted by it.

A person I work with drives a relatively new Evoque, and asked me the other day why I drive "that beaten up old wagon." I answered because I like it, and because it's paid for. She rolled her eyes.

I found that as amusing as any other reaction.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 10, 2015, 03:39:58 PM
My car pleases me both when some people seem to be delighted by it and when other people are disgusted by it.

A person I work with drives a relatively new Evoque, and asked me the other day why I drive "that beaten up old wagon." I answered because I like it, and because it's paid for. She rolled her eyes.

Sounds like she needs some sensitivity training.   :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

This lady's Evoque... perhaps it would look better with faux wood siding.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Wow what a biggidy bitch

Soup DeVille

Like I said, I just found it amusing. I make substantially more than she does, and I bet she is wondering how I can be so bad with money as to have to drive an old beaten up car. That's cool; think what you want.

Most of the time, people think it's cool, or tell me about the one they had "just like it"mthey were kids and used to flip off truckers from the back seat. I like that as well.

I don't know if that counts as "status" in the typical sense, but it is one way where other people's opinion has an effect on my satisfaction with that particular car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 10, 2015, 04:08:43 PM
This lady's Evoque... perhaps it would look better with faux wood siding.

I have ordered a replacement wood kit. I will have some extra left over...

MX793

When are you going to drop in a 351-based 427 crate engine?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on November 10, 2015, 05:55:47 PM

Ermm... or a GT350 motor. Do they sell those, yet?

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 10, 2015, 05:59:08 PM

Ermm... or a GT350 motor. Do they sell those, yet?

Probably a harder conversion than swapping one member of the Windsor motor family for another.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on November 10, 2015, 06:08:06 PM
Probably a harder conversion than swapping one member of the Windsor motor family for another.

Yeah, but a flat plane V8 wagon would be so practical.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 93JC on November 10, 2015, 02:56:55 PM
They tend to be quieter, tend to have more power, tend to have more luxury doodads.

Fun fact: the difference between a Lexus V8 block and a Toyota truck V8 block is the tolerances allowed in the manufacturing process (at least as of 2007).

Source: I've seen the spec drawings.

I don't actually know what you drive.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 10, 2015, 07:50:21 PM
Fun fact: the difference between a Lexus V8 block and a Toyota truck V8 block is the tolerances allowed in the manufacturing process (at least as of 2007).

I don't actually know what you drive.

Sorry.

It's a Grand Marquis Colony Park wagon.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 10, 2015, 05:55:47 PM

When this one blows up and I'm done making it pretty.

68_427

Car as a status symbol is why millennials are buying less cars.  It's not that they don't like cars or driving as much, they just want their car purchase to be a luxury purchase of sorts so they are waiting longer.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

I don't agree with that at all.  I personally couldn't care less what others think of what I buy and drive.

Well, you are working pretty hard to convince us that you're the kind of guy who doesn't care what others think of what you buy and drive...

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 10, 2015, 07:50:21 PM

Do you have a source for those drawings? I have a very hard time believing that is true, for a number of reasons.

Raza

I mean this to be a compliment, so please take it that way. There is a certain I-don't-give-a-fuckness that comes with being a man of your age. I mean, you're clearly a successful fellow, you've done a lot, and you've earned that right to not give a fuck. Maybe you didn't when you were younger either, I don't know, but at your stage in life, you've certainly mastered it by now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 10, 2015, 01:14:29 PM
It goes both ways with me. I like when people compliment my cars (I mean, who doesn't?), but I'm sure that I also get judged negatively by some people. I don't think much about it when I'm shopping though. I pretty much get what I want.

Definitely. I love getting compliments on the car. They totally make my day. But I also saw the dark side of luxury marque sports car ownership with all the vandalism I faced this summer.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2015, 10:50:30 PM
Do you have a source for those drawings? I have a very hard time believing that is true, for a number of reasons.

I saw them during an internship at Toyota Manufacturing when I was still in school, so I don't still have copies. But I actually got spec drawings from a Japanese engine plant and had to verify the measurements when compared to the American engine plant. The Japanese plant made Lexus engines, our plant made Tundra/Tacoma/4Runner engines. The only difference was that the Japanese engines had stricter tolerances.

This is just the machining of the block though. I'm sure other parts of the engine were different in other ways.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on November 10, 2015, 11:36:16 PM

Definitely. I love getting compliments on the car. They totally make my day. But I also saw the dark side of luxury marque sports car ownership with all the vandalism I faced this summer.

What happened?

12,000 RPM

AutobahnSHO

Will

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on November 10, 2015, 10:18:46 PM
Well, you are working pretty hard to convince us that you're the kind of guy who doesn't care what others think of what you buy and drive...

:lol:
Yeah, like the dozen or so regular carspin posters I offered my opinion and responded when challenged about it.  Real hard?   :rolleyes:

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  on November 10, 2015, 11:32:37 PM
I mean this to be a compliment, so please take it that way. There is a certain I-don't-give-a-fuckness that comes with being a man of your age. I mean, you're clearly a successful fellow, you've done a lot, and you've earned that right to not give a fuck. Maybe you didn't when you were younger either, I don't know, but at your stage in life, you've certainly mastered it by now.

Pretty much spot on, IMO.  What a lot of people don't seem to understand is the difference between doing something to please yourself and doing something to impress others.

For example, I'm disassembling the Jaguar and cleaning, repainting and replating what doesn't get replaced with new.  Not to impress others or hoping they think it's cool, but because I want to do it and enjoy doing it.  If others are impressed, OK; if not, OK.