Un-frigging-believable..... New car purchase woes

Started by MX793, November 03, 2015, 09:59:07 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 04, 2015, 03:50:11 PM
3500??? Seriously??? and you "think" you'd get it?

lol - easily. Don't you guys ever negotiate? Jesus. It's pretty simple - walk in your adversary's shoes and envision his situation if you walk.

No matter what happens the dealer will have to pay to replace the trunk lid ($1,000 - $1,500) and declare the damage which will result in diminished value ($500 - $1,500). If MX793 passes on it, the car will sit on the lot (i.e., the dealer will have to float the capital they weren't originally planning on till the car sells) say three months ($500).

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2015, 06:47:55 PM
lol - easily. Don't you guys ever negotiate? Jesus. It's pretty simple - walk in your adversary's shoes and envision his situation if you walk.

No matter what happens the dealer will have to pay to replace the trunk lid ($1,000 - $1,500) and declare the damage which will result in diminished value ($500 - $1,500). If MX793 passes on it, the car will sit on the lot (i.e., the dealer will have to float the capital they weren't originally planning on till the car sells) say three months ($500).

Actually, given the length of the winters here, that car is unlikely to move before April.  They still have a 2015 that's been there since last October.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2015, 06:47:55 PM
lol - easily.

Lol, easily.

Like that court case that you are just cleaning up with.

I think i hear your mom calling, your cheerios are getting soggy.

Payman

I completely get the "waited for 3 months and I want my car" thing. No doubt the decision is killing you, but you really need to walk. Maybe take the time to contact Ford, explain the situation and that you'd like to order a new Mustang for spring delivery. Maybe they'll throw in some freebies to make you happy.  :huh:

FlatBlackCaddy

He saw the damage, if it isn't that bad, and the dealership is willing to compensate then I don't think all is lost here.

For me, seeing the total extent of the damage before it's repaired would help a great deal. It takes a lot of doubt out of the true extent and severity of the situation.

giant_mtb

I have no doubts the body shop's paint job will look good, but I just can't help but be concerned about the longevity.  A factory paint job is just...cleaner.  It's done in the automotive equivalent of a clean room with materials that have just been bathed by 12 different chemical baths to ensure super duper bonding.

If it's just a summer vehicle, though...it'll probably last twice as long as it would if it were a year-round vehicle.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 04, 2015, 09:01:12 PM
I have no doubts the body shop's paint job will look good, but I just can't help but be concerned about the longevity.  A factory paint job is just...cleaner.  It's done in the automotive equivalent of a clean room with materials that have just been bathed by 12 different chemical baths to ensure super duper bonding.

If it's just a summer vehicle, though...it'll probably last twice as long as it would if it were a year-round vehicle.

Well, it's not part of the unibody, so I think the risk is low.

This is mostly a mental thing. Worst case scenario, all of the paint peels off and the trunk lid gets a rust hole in 2 years. The rest of the car is still good. Just replace the trunk lid. The dealer should warranty their own work.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Congrats on moving up to a V8! I'd take the car. I'd ask for $1500 off (I'd only expect $1000) and get a written warranty on ANY work the Body Shop performed on the car. Just my.02
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 04, 2015, 09:38:56 PM
Well, it's not part of the unibody, so I think the risk is low.

This is mostly a mental thing. Worst case scenario, all of the paint peels off and the trunk lid gets a rust hole in 2 years. The rest of the car is still good. Just replace the trunk lid. The dealer should warranty their own work.

That's true.  I mean, if it starts bubbling, the dealership (presumably) would just go ahead and fix it considering it was "on them" in the first place.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on November 04, 2015, 10:18:22 PM
Congrats on moving up to a V8! I'd take the car. I'd ask for $1500 off (I'd only expect $1000) and get a written warranty on ANY work the Body Shop performed on the car. Just my.02

Yeeee

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 04, 2015, 09:01:12 PM

Good point on the summer vehicle - any repairs and the car in general will last a lot longer.

FWIW I've had a lot of paint work done on my car (it's been hit twice and has had 7 panels repainted) and I can't really tell the difference in paint color and longevity. If you can confirm there's no damage to anything underneath and it's just the trunk lid, and can get some money off and a warranty on the work done (like G8 mentioned), it might be worth considering. Sure, you won't be using it for a couple months but it'll be good to go the moment the salt leaves the roads in the spring, and you can at least get a full autocross season in. Timing this all again in the spring given what you've gone through this time would be extremely hard. You'll either have it stuck at the dealership with salt on the roads or miss out on good weather and autox.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Yeah but you live in California where road salt isn't a thing.  Of course your paint is still fine.

ifcar

I assume that work performed by the dealer before you take delivery of a car is still under the factory warranty, right? If he declines this car, it will be put on the lot and someone will buy it. If it prematurely rusts, the customer will take it in for service and isn't going to be told "oh, see, *we* put this part on, so it's not under warranty."

CALL_911

I'd probably just take the car, try and get a discount out of them, and a written guarantee of the body shops work

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

I'm thinking I may at least entertain accepting it and wait until I've seen it before turning it down.  Although if I accept it, all of the following must be met:
-It must match the factory paint exactly.  The lay of the metal flake, the level of orange peel, color, etc
-They discount the price below X plan.  Right now I'm thinking they would have to come down to what a low mileage used 2015 lists for, retail, on KBB.
-The full factory paint warranty is intact.
-I am guaranteed, in writing, that this will not show up on Carfax.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Pretty sure those last two things are probably 95% going to happen.

Having worked for three car dealerships, this happens all the time. If the dealer has a bodyshop, it'll likely just get rolled into something and stay under the table.

And shit gets broken at, and comes broken from the factory all the time. A dealer replacement part is still covered under original warranty; I'm sure this is the case with your trunk.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 04, 2015, 08:08:01 PM
Lol, easily.

Like that court case that you are just cleaning up with.

I think i hear your mom calling, your cheerios are getting soggy.

:popcorn:
Will

Morris Minor

Watching the James May show that Madman posted, MINI building cars to order from millions of permutations, makes you wonder about the whole dealer system, & the effort they put into strong-arming purchasers into whatever's in inventory.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 05, 2015, 07:03:39 AM
I like soggy Cheeri-Os.

+1 but not overly soggy. The sweet spot is about halfway through the bowl- gotta pour the milk and immediately endure a few crunchy ones.
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on November 05, 2015, 06:29:24 AM
I'm thinking I may at least entertain accepting it and wait until I've seen it before turning it down.  Although if I accept it, all of the following must be met:
-It must match the factory paint exactly.  The lay of the metal flake, the level of orange peel, color, etc
-They discount the price below X plan.  Right now I'm thinking they would have to come down to what a low mileage used 2015 lists for, retail, on KBB.
-The full factory paint warranty is intact.
-I am guaranteed, in writing, that this will not show up on Carfax.

Even with a written guarantee, if it shows up on Carfax that guarantee won't do anything to combat the affect of resale.

It will probably show up on carfax if the shipping company pays out a claim for it. If ford kicks some money back to the dealer directly than it probably won't.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 05, 2015, 07:12:30 AM
+1 but not overly soggy. The sweet spot is about halfway through the bowl- gotta pour the milk and immediately endure a few crunchy ones.

You must be more patient.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 05, 2015, 07:03:37 AM
Watching the James May show that Madman posted, MINI building cars to order from millions of permutations, makes you wonder about the whole dealer system, & the effort they put into strong-arming purchasers into whatever's in inventory.

In many states, the dealerships are legally protected by laws that keep manufacturers from selling direct. Tesla has bucked this, which is one thing I like about them.

And yes, Mini is the industry standard for line sequencing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 04, 2015, 11:23:18 PM
Yeah but you live in California where road salt isn't a thing.  Of course your paint is still fine.

But, as you said, this thing won't be seeing any salt anyways. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 05, 2015, 07:28:15 AM
You must be more patient.

nah cuz then I get TOO soggy by 3/4 of the bowl.   (I eat more slowly than anyone I know, not on purpose)
Will

BimmerM3

This may be a silly question, but is it not possible to get a factory-painted replacement trunk lid?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: thecarnut on November 05, 2015, 07:45:33 AM
But, as you said, this thing won't be seeing any salt anyways. :huh:

Why would you add salt to Cheeri-Os? If anything, one should more honey on top.

ifcar

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 05, 2015, 07:18:20 AM
Even with a written guarantee, if it shows up on Carfax that guarantee won't do anything to combat the affect of resale.

It will probably show up on carfax if the shipping company pays out a claim for it. If ford kicks some money back to the dealer directly than it probably won't.

I don't think Carfax shows very minor accidents like that, when it's just one part being replaced. At least I've never seen that.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: ifcar on November 05, 2015, 08:06:42 AM
I don't think Carfax shows very minor accidents like that, when it's just one part being replaced. At least I've never seen that.

I thought that Carfax only shows repairs that have been reported to an insurance company? I learned that my car had the bumper and hood repainted despite having a clean Carfax - I assmued it was done by somebody out-of-pocket.

MX793

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 05, 2015, 08:32:15 AM
I thought that Carfax only shows repairs that have been reported to an insurance company? I learned that my car had the bumper and hood repainted despite having a clean Carfax - I assmued it was done by somebody out-of-pocket.

That's my understanding as well.  I'm sure the dealer doesn't foot the bill for something like this, but who and how is also unknown to me.  If the shipper's insurance covers it, does that result in a claim that gets attached to the car and may show up on a Carfax?  Trunk plus paint has got to be at least a grand between parts and labor.  Seems like the sort of thing that, if reported, would show up.
Needs more Jiggawatts