Un-frigging-believable..... New car purchase woes

Started by MX793, November 03, 2015, 09:59:07 PM

shp4man

As far as ordering a vehicle goes, if I ever do get a new pickup, I'll have to order one because nobody stocks one the way I want. Then you run into package discounts where it actually costs less to have a stupid power tailgate or some such nonsense that it does to delete that option.
The dealer will just file a claim with the transportation company, it won't cost them to repair it. They actually make money on it. Your warranty is still good.
Don't expect much in the way of discounts and do expect them to keep some part of the deposit if you don't take the car.

SJ_GTI

I would say it isn't a guarantee that their insurance will cover it. Most business insurance policies have deductibles and those deductibles are usually a lot higher than what individuals have on their own cars/houses.

We have freight issues where I work. We usually don't file claims unless it is substantial (>5 figures) and even then it is always a fight with the insurer about getting reimbursement.

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 05, 2015, 07:55:33 AM
This may be a silly question, but is it not possible to get a factory-painted replacement trunk lid?

Maybe. The challenge is factory paint isn't entirely consistent across all cars so unless the painted item is matched to a particular car it won't exactly match. Some automakers track each car's actual paint (Infiniti does, for add-ons like splash guards and side mirrors) but I'm not sure if they all do.

Speed_Racer

Wait, if this is limited to the trunk lid, can they not pull a non-damaged trunklid off a same color Mustang and make the swap?

MX793

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 05, 2015, 01:22:17 PM
Wait, if this is limited to the trunk lid, can they not pull a non-damaged trunklid off a same color Mustang and make the swap?

It still may not match due to variations from batch to batch.  They would have to find one from a car built at roughly the same time (probably the same week) for the best chance of a match.  This dealer does not have another Mustang in stock the same color anyway.  And I absolutely will not accept a trunklid from a wrecked donor car, assuming they could find one.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 05, 2015, 01:22:17 PM

Then what about the donor 'Stang? Even then the paint may not match though, as stated.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2015, 01:39:45 PM
Then what about the donor 'Stang? Even then the paint may not match though, as stated.

Good point - there are subtle variations even among the same color car.

As for the donor car if they were to swap a trunk lid, it's the dealer's problem even if the damage wasn't 100% their fault. Use the donor as a demo car or sell it at a discount as almost-new. The cost is going to have to be eaten somewhere, it just shouldn't be by MX.

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2015, 06:47:55 PM
No matter what happens the dealer will have to pay to replace the trunk lid ($1,000 - $1,500) and declare the damage which will result in diminished value ($500 - $1,500).

The dealer doesn't have to pay to replace the trunk lid. Either the transit company pays or the manufacturer pays for it. Transit damage happens all the time. It's extremely common. Escalades are built in Arlington, TX, just a few miles from our dealership. The amount of transit damage is unbelievable. Broken windshields, an Escalade was rear ended by another vehicle when the agent from the transit company wasn't paying attention, etc. The damage likely won't show up on any report aside from the manufacturer service history.

CJ

I would refuse delivery, even though transit damage is very common.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 05, 2015, 07:55:33 AM
This may be a silly question, but is it not possible to get a factory-painted replacement trunk lid?

Of course it is. All the new cars come with one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

I'm not sure that, even if they meet all of my previously stated criteria, I'd accept the car because just knowing it's not factory fresh would bother me.  The more I think about the fact that the driving season is over until April and that I won't be missing out on anything by ordering and waiting for another car, the more convinced I am that I'm not willing to settle for anything less than a pristine, factory original car.  I keep waffling in my head between whether I should just call them tomorrow and tell them I won't under any circumstances accept a damaged and repaired car with non-factory paint or if I should at least humor them and check out the repair before telling them I'm not happy with a repaired car.  Part of me wants to check out the repair in hopes of finding it doesn't quite match the factory paint so I have a tangible reason to reject the car and not come off like a completely inflexible, PITA customer.

This is added stress I really didn't need right now.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Tell that dealer to gave to just red Kenji echo TV org so kick success long. Then demand a free iPad.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

If the 'Stang has such long waiting lists, they'll find another buyer, lickety-split.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on November 05, 2015, 04:44:25 PM
If the 'Stang has such long waiting lists, they'll find another buyer, lickety-split.

There are no waiting lists, at least not around here.  They still have a 2015 that's been on their lot for over a year.  I can probably count on one hand the number of 2015+ models I've seen out in the wild locally.
Needs more Jiggawatts

JWC

I would ask for a more substantial discount, but I wouldn't let the repair worry me, unless noticeable-- which is rare since more than likely, more will be painted than the trunk lid. Blending is usually done.

Some vehicles don't even leave the plant without visiting their body shop first...and there is not a requirement to declare it. The only time I've seen a new vehicle with a declaration along with the window sticker was a new GMC that arrived with a knocking engine and a transmission that wouldn't shift--found after we replaced the engine.

CJ

12,000 RPM

IMO this is all a bit

I guess if you are buying new everything should be perfect but IDK.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 05, 2015, 07:23:44 PM
IMO this is all a bit

I guess if you are buying new everything should be perfect but IDK.

Same

CALL_911

I mean, I get it just because it's $35k, but I don't think it would be worth my time to take this to the ends of the planet

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Again, I'd just roll with it - you should be able to get a discount of some kind and if they're not total morons the paint will look fine for at least 5 years.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

A great deal of shit happens at dealerships that we don't tell you about.

I remember when I worked at one of the Chevy dealerships, a brand new Cruze fell off the truck as it was being unloaded from transport. driver had the platform angled the wrong way, and he wasn't familiar with how to drive stick.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on November 05, 2015, 04:35:35 PM
I'm not sure that, even if they meet all of my previously stated criteria, I'd accept the car because just knowing it's not factory fresh would bother me.  The more I think about the fact that the driving season is over until April and that I won't be missing out on anything by ordering and waiting for another car, the more convinced I am that I'm not willing to settle for anything less than a pristine, factory original car.  I keep waffling in my head between whether I should just call them tomorrow and tell them I won't under any circumstances accept a damaged and repaired car with non-factory paint or if I should at least humor them and check out the repair before telling them I'm not happy with a repaired car.  Part of me wants to check out the repair in hopes of finding it doesn't quite match the factory paint so I have a tangible reason to reject the car and not come off like a completely inflexible, PITA customer.

This is added stress I really didn't need right now.

If you're sure you're going to turn it down either way, just be up front about it.

FlatBlackCaddy

Maybe this was meant to happen, gives you a second chance to talk yourself into the gt350. That's the mustang that would win my hard earned money.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 06, 2015, 06:03:59 PM
Maybe this was meant to happen, gives you a second chance to talk yourself into the gt350 Camaro SS.
;)
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Payman

Eye of the Tiger

Scat? Eww. That is at least one thing I am not into.

Eye of the Tiger