This is a good place to pause because, well, holy f---

Started by Klackamas, December 17, 2015, 06:41:52 PM

Klackamas

Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

MX793

Holy hell.  That place is like maliciously incompetent.

I had a dealership hack a hole in my aero pan on my Mazda to get at the oil filter.  Not sure when they did it.  Noticed it when I had what appeared to be an oil leak and I climbed under the car and saw a 5-6" square hacked into the tray just behind a circular cutout that Mazda designed into the pan to permit oil filter access.  In their defense, though, the fasteners were so rusted that they were impossible to remove without doing more damage than cutting a hole in the pan (I ended up destroying the pan and snapping several fasteners trying to remove it).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Byteme

This is why I do all the maintenance I am capable of doing myself.

Speed_Racer

VTEC_Inside

I know the article says to go easy on the guy, but how can you? This is pretty much exactly what I would expect.

Even a Civic has an under tray that has to be removed now. Its thin metal though so I guess tin snips would do the trick.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

shp4man

These lube places hire people off the street to do minor automotive maintenance and attempt to sell other maintenance services.
Cars are getting to the point where it takes someone with a functioning brain to do even minor stuff. Very few people with that asset stay at minimum wage jobs long.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Why wouldn't a dude just go "hey man, this looks unfamiliar and Im not sure how to access the filter?"

I mean fuck;'why would you even let a grease monkey in an oil change pit have a hacksaw or whatever?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2015, 09:52:14 AM
Why wouldn't a dude just go "hey man, this looks unfamiliar and Im not sure how to access the filter?"

I mean fuck;'why would you even let a grease monkey in an oil change pit have a hacksaw or whatever?

I think in this case, they did it to get at the drain plug.  And he probably hacked the tray with a pocket knife.  Also wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have the right tools to remove the 1/4 turns to remove the tray.  The buy in the pit probably just had a couple of wrenches/sockets for the most common drain plug sizes and, obviously, some kind of cutting tool, down there with him.  Why he didn't shout up that he needed more tools, though...  Of course, this same guy then lied with a straight face when asked if he'd cut the tray, so that speaks volumes about how responsible he is as a person.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 18, 2015, 09:56:15 AM
I think in this case, they did it to get at the drain plug.  And he probably hacked the tray with a pocket knife.  Also wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have the right tools to remove the 1/4 turns to remove the tray.  The buy in the pit probably just had a couple of wrenches/sockets for the most common drain plug sizes and, obviously, some kind of cutting tool, down there with him.  Why he didn't shout up that he needed more tools, though...  Of course, this same guy then lied with a straight face when asked if he'd cut the tray, so that speaks volumes about how responsible he is as a person.

Do shops like this generally not have an account with AllData or something so they can actually look this shit up when they see something they don't recognize?

I mean,  I can imagine an oil change place gets a wide variety of cars daily; probably wider than your average real shop.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2015, 09:59:17 AM
Do shops like this generally not have an account with AllData or something so they can actually look this shit up when they see something they don't recognize?

I mean,  I can imagine an oil change place gets a wide variety of cars daily; probably wider than your average real shop.

Maybe, but only the manager, who is likely a flake, too, has access.  When I was still driving the old '66 Beetle, I thought it might be amusing to take it in to one of those places just to see how long it would take before they figured it out.
:lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on December 18, 2015, 10:33:54 AM
Maybe, but only the manager, who is likely a flake, too, has access.  When I was still driving the old '66 Beetle, I thought it might be amusing to take it in to one of those places just to see how long it would take before they figured it out.
:lol:

What do you mean you can't find the oil filter? It's a tiny little car, it has to be somewhere.

While you're at it, check the coolant level, OK?

Pancor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2015, 09:59:17 AM

I worked at a couple places like this when I was in my late teens, and no, there is no Alldata or similar.   Thats ok, assuming you aren't an idiot.    Heck, we did coolant flushes, tranny flushes, and fuel injection services by the seat of our pants and never once fucked a single thing up!

Rupert

On the other hand, these places do many many oil changes every day, and only a handful fuck em up. It's not like some guarantee that they'll ruin your car. The worst they'll do is overtighten stuff (unless your car needs special coolant or something).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

mzziaz

Quote from: Rupert on December 18, 2015, 06:34:13 PM
On the other hand, these places do many many oil changes every day, and only a handful fuck em up. It's not like some guarantee that they'll ruin your car. The worst they'll do is overtighten stuff (unless your car needs special coolant or something).

Well, at worst they will apparently hack themselves through the underside of the car, then drain the gearbox and overfill the engine with oil.
Cuore Sportivo

GoCougs

This is why I almost always go to the dealer for oil changes or any service. The likelihood of problems is greatly diminished, and in the event of a problem, they will be more willing and far more capable of making amends (read: that is why service and repairs typically cost more at dealers, and it is worth it).

CaminoRacer

Mazda dealership broke the drain plug on my mom's car and had to order an entire new oil pan.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on December 19, 2015, 10:48:21 AM
This is why I almost always go to the dealer for oil changes or any service. The likelihood of problems is greatly diminished, and in the event of a problem, they will be more willing and far more capable of making amends (read: that is why service and repairs typically cost more at dealers, and it is worth it).

LOL
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: mzziaz on December 19, 2015, 02:33:35 AM
Well, at worst they will apparently hack themselves through the underside of the car, then drain the gearbox and overfill the engine with oil.

Extremely unlikely.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Payman

Payman

Imagine if the guy didn't notice the fastener. How far would he have gotten with an overfull engine and fully drained gearbox?

I expect he'll send the dealership bill for the new under tray, gearbox service, new engine oil/filter, and the towing charges to the Valvoline place.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Rockraven on December 21, 2015, 11:36:44 AM
Imagine if the guy didn't notice the fastener. How far would he have gotten with an overfull engine and fully drained gearbox?

I expect he'll send the dealership bill for the new under tray, gearbox service, new engine oil/filter, and the towing charges to the Valvoline place.

Valvoline already paid him for the damages.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

Quote from: thecarnut on December 21, 2015, 12:44:24 PM
Valvoline already paid him for the damages.

Well, the check is in the mail. Holy crap... $1442 oil change.

Rupert

Quote from: Rockraven on December 21, 2015, 11:33:01 AM
Did you see the link? That's exactly what the "tech" did!

I did see that, and it's extremely unlikely. Do you not understand the concept of tiny numbers (1) compared to big numbers (1000s)?

Payman

Quote from: Rupert on December 21, 2015, 01:57:53 PM
I did see that, and it's extremely unlikely. Do you not understand the concept of tiny numbers (1) compared to big numbers (1000s)?

Shit similar to this happens all the time. Guys hired off the street with little experience making minimum wage generally don't give a fuck about what they're doing to your car. I generally do my own oil changes and minor shit, but personal experience off the top of my head...
1. paid $9 labor to have wipers replaced, tech didn't replace the old cracked clips, wipers fell off when I tested them at the garage
2. tech was gabbing to his friend, put over 100 psi into one of my new tires (got a new tire)
3. several times caught tech using grease to mount tires
4. asked to see old filter from oil change on son's Pontiac G5, tech produced a conventional filter, which I promptly brought to the manager. G5 has an element type filter. Tech lied about changing it.
5. swapping out winter tires/rims, no use of torque wrench. One tech didn't even know what a torque wrench was.
6. oil cap lost from my VW Golf, tech forgot to install it.
7. tech forgets to reset oil service message, or has no clue how to do it.
8. tech can't find battery in son's G5, asks a buddy, he can't find it either. I get paged to the service department so they can ask me where the battery is located.
9. used wiper wash, window instantly becomes greasy and can't see out of it. Tech put antifreeze in the washer bottle.
10. grease stains on my seat.
11. McDonald's wrapper and cup left in the car by a tech.
12. Tim Horton's cup left in upholder by a tech.

All the above and more happened to me over the past 25 years or so. I'd say my good/bad experience ratio is 50/50.

Do you understand those numbers?

Rupert

None of that is similar to what happened in the OP.

I don't know where you go, but the Jiffy Lubes I've been to (many) are all fine. They try to sell you shit, but I've never had a single problem in the roughly 30 or so oil changes I've had done on my cars and work cars, and my experience is not unique among anyone I know (including people who have been driving and getting their oil changed at that kind of place for 50 years). I understand those numbers, yes.

shp4man

The problems arise when somebody brings in an unusual vehicle that requires a different procedure. The lube lizards are generally incapable of reasoning through that situation.
Pep Boys is another example of this kind of thing. I've seen and had to repair some of their mistakes.

Rupert

That's true. I don't take the 944 to a place like that. A lot of that is that I'm afraid they won't realize it's aluminum.

FlatBlackCaddy