new car time

Started by 2o6, December 18, 2015, 12:13:15 PM

2o6

Yaris got rear ended and it's bad luck IMO to keep it.

Looking for a car under 9k ish, once again putting half down and financing the rest. Closer to 7-7.5K is better, but I'm flexible.

Also, it would be nice to have a car that can handle 4x100 bolt pattern wheels, cause the Yaris wheels are staying with me.

Also, it must be four door.

2007 and newer

Manual Trans

Decent MPG

Good ride. The Focus loaner I have is spoiling me; I really forgot that bigger cars generally ride better.

Cars that are definitely out

Honda Fit - the seats make my back hurt, it's a step backwards in regards to ride and road noise

Current model Sentra - these are popping up at the top of my budget, but God the steering and ride are so fucking bad. It's also fugly

Strong contenders

Ford Fiesta - interior is a bit tight, but it rides like a big car. It also comes with a lot of options.

Mazda 2 - it's noisier than the Fiesta, but more fun. But rust bothers me; has Mazda gotten that fixed?

Ford Focus (2012+) - I like my loaner a lot.

Anything else I should keep an eye for?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Raza

This is the easiest question ever posed on this site. 

2007 Honda Civic Si sedan.  Usually just over 100K miles, but also right at $9,000.  Can't beat that speed, fun, practicality, and reliability at that price.  MkV GTI/GLI is also possible, but the Civic will undoubtedly be more reliable. 

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2016&zip=19123&transmissionCode=MAN&maxPrice=10000&transmissionCodes=MAN&showcaseListingId=416440535&trim1=CIVIC%7CSi&mmt=%5BHONDA%5BCIVIC%5BCIVIC%257CSi%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&modelCode1=CIVIC&makeCode1=HONDA&startYear=2007&showcaseOwnerId=1391103&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=0&listingId=416511360&Log=0

Shit, I might go look at that next week.  I've got nothing better to do and it's close by. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on December 18, 2015, 12:25:32 PM
This is the easiest question ever posed on this site. 

2007 Honda Civic Si sedan.  Usually just over 100K miles, but also right at $9,000.  Can't beat that speed, fun, practicality, and reliability at that price.  MkV GTI/GLI is also possible, but the Civic will undoubtedly be more reliable. 

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2016&zip=19123&transmissionCode=MAN&maxPrice=10000&transmissionCodes=MAN&showcaseListingId=416440535&trim1=CIVIC%7CSi&mmt=%5BHONDA%5BCIVIC%5BCIVIC%257CSi%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&modelCode1=CIVIC&makeCode1=HONDA&startYear=2007&showcaseOwnerId=1391103&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=0&listingId=416511360&Log=0

Shit, I might go look at that next week.  I've got nothing better to do and it's close by.

Insurance

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on December 18, 2015, 12:31:17 PM
Focus

They're a little at the top of my budget; I can find more fiestas than Focuses for the price range, but both are good choices

Eye of the Tiger

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on December 18, 2015, 12:13:15 PM

Mazda 2 - it's noisier than the Fiesta, but more fun. But rust bothers me; has Mazda gotten that fixed?

Yes, they did long ago. My 3 is six-and-a-half years old now, and doesn't have a spot of corrosion on it.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on December 18, 2015, 01:24:50 PM

I don't trust the turbo at all

Maybe you can learn to trust. Walk a mile in the turbo's shoes. Sit down and just talk about life. Appreciate what it can do for you in return for the attention it needs to be fulfilled.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on December 18, 2015, 12:33:31 PM

Insurance

Get a quote, I bet it's not....that bad.  Eat more ramen.  Think of it as like the Special K challenge, but instead of replacing one meal a day with Special K for two weeks, replace all meals with ramen forever. 

Shit son.  I just ran a quote for it on Progressive with my stats (excluding the Z4, though, and assuming there's no loan on the car) and it came out to $28.26/mo for "Basic" coverage (273/6mo lump), or $47.10/mo "Recommended" ($442 lump).  The Choice is a little cheaper than Recommended, like $6 a month.  Not bad at all.  Progressive doesn't differentiate the Si from the basic Civic 4 door. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on December 18, 2015, 01:41:45 PM
Get a quote, I bet it's not....that bad.  Eat more ramen.  Think of it as like the Special K challenge, but instead of replacing one meal a day with Special K for two weeks, replace all meals with ramen forever.

If it lets me insure it like a regular Civic, I'm in luck.

Otherwise, hell nah.

Quote from: Raza  on December 18, 2015, 01:41:45 PM

Shit son.  I just ran a quote for it on Progressive with my stats (excluding the Z4, though, and assuming there's no loan on the car) and it came out to $28.26/mo for "Basic" coverage (273/6mo lump), or $47.10/mo "Recommended" ($442 lump).  The Choice is a little cheaper than Recommended, like $6 a month.  Not bad at all.  Progressive doesn't differentiate the Si from the basic Civic 4 door. 

Hahah I'm 22. My premiums are 3x that for a Ford Fiesta

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 18, 2015, 01:28:43 PM
Maybe you can learn to trust. Walk a mile in the turbo's shoes. Sit down and just talk about life. Appreciate what it can do for you in return for the attention it needs to be fulfilled.

I like the Sonic, but turbo Korean GM's scare me

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on December 18, 2015, 01:49:22 PM

If it lets me insure it like a regular Civic, I'm in luck.

Otherwise, hell nah.

Hahah I'm 22. My premiums are 3x that for a Ford Fiesta

Could be crash rates.  Maybe Fiestas crash more than newer Civics (you know, like how an $80,000 911 was cheaper to insure than an S2000 and how my Z4 was something like $7 more a year than my Jetta).  Remember, the spaceship Civic was stolen less than its predecessors and not as popular with the boy racer crowd.  I got a BIG drop in insurance rates at 21, so even though the magic 25 threshold is a distant, distant, distant memory for me, it wasn't as big a drop at 25 as it was at 21. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Mitsubishis are excellent, I hear.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 18, 2015, 01:57:48 PM
Mitsubishis are excellent, I hear.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Lancer

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on December 18, 2015, 02:00:51 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to a Lancer

I hear there is a 2-for-1 deal going on somewhere south of you.

CALL_911

Call your insurance company and find out, the Si is a great idea

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

SI does seem nice, but it's older and it's hard to find one that isn't abused or have hella miles.

Still a contender, tho.

I'm also considering an Accord. One of the 2008+ big accords.

Eye of the Tiger

Might as well get a Grand Marquis

ifcar

I think I remember you liking the Chevy Sonic, another small car with big-car ride quality. I'm sure they've made it into this price range by now. The current Accent also feels more solid than the Fit, and I've always liked how it drives.

Why a 2008 Accord, though? The main thing it's got going for it is the huge interior, yet you're also considering the Fiesta...

mzziaz

Keep the Yaris. No brainer.
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on December 18, 2015, 02:59:17 PM
I think I remember you liking the Chevy Sonic, another small car with big-car ride quality. I'm sure they've made it into this price range by now. The current Accent also feels more solid than the Fit, and I've always liked how it drives.

Why a 2008 Accord, though? The main thing it's got going for it is the huge interior, yet you're also considering the Fiesta...

Sonics are nice, but I'm scared of that turbo. I trust a naturally aspirated car in the long run over a turbo car. I also know the 1.8L isn't very fuel efficient.

The Accord popped up on a generic Autotrader search for four doors and manual. It's a lot of car, but a trusted name and I've never really driven one so I don't know what to expect.

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 18, 2015, 02:13:25 PM
Call your insurance company and find out, the Si is a great idea

I think it's interesting that the Hyundais are the most expensive to insure...

MX793

I wonder if Hyundai's lower pricing results in more of them in the hands of a more accident-prone demographic (like the <25 group)?  Are Kias equally more expensive to insure?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on December 19, 2015, 07:00:18 AM
I wonder if Hyundai's lower pricing results in more of them in the hands of a more accident-prone demographic (like the <25 group)?  Are Kias equally more expensive to insure?

The Kia Rio is the most expensive car I've quoted.

The Mazda 2 is somehow the cheapest (save for the Civic)

12,000 RPM

New Accords suck

You should check out a non-Si Civic. If you are happy with the Yaris' performance I think you would be even happier with the Civic. Would be cheaper to insure than the Si and fun too. Only thing that is a little wack is gas mileage. I only get ~27-30 MPG with like 60/40 highway/city, but I beat on it because it's fun to do. The 2012+ Focus 5 speed looks pretty good too. Lot of decent options in that price range if you don't need to run the quarter in the mid 14s.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 19, 2015, 08:50:34 AM
New Accords suck

The new Accord is excellent. The previous version is not.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 19, 2015, 08:50:34 AM
New Accords suck

You should check out a non-Si Civic. If you are happy with the Yaris' performance I think you would be even happier with the Civic. Would be cheaper to insure than the Si and fun too. Only thing that is a little wack is gas mileage. I only get ~27-30 MPG with like 60/40 highway/city, but I beat on it because it's fun to do. The 2012+ Focus 5 speed looks pretty good too. Lot of decent options in that price range if you don't need to run the quarter in the mid 14s.

Again, Progressive didn't differentiate between the Si and the regular Civic four door when I quoted it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i