Lexus LC500

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 11, 2016, 12:15:32 PM

12,000 RPM

This one turned the cringe up to 11.... I literally could not sit through this video, this owner was too annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4GwMsMkAw

That is definitely one of the most interesting aspects of the channel. I feel like mine would be really interesting :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

I hate the damn shift paddles that turn with the wheel. Why the fuck.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 20, 2017, 06:27:09 PM
Aside from the fame thing, this is how car reviews generally work

Your jealousy is palpable man, JFC :lol:

Not jealous... Just the fact that he brings absolutely no ideas, info, or insight in practically any review.  All he literally does for 10 min on every review is go "oh wow that's great.  Wow"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: Tave on February 20, 2017, 10:54:30 PM
Who does he think he is, producing all that free content for you? And he has the nerve to enjoy it too! What a lunatic.

He is making some nice $$$ for making those videos in exchange for YouTube tracking me and subjecting me to advertisement - far from free content
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

...:confused:  It's free for you.  Money is not leaving your pocket every time you watch a video.

You're also free to just not watch?  I'm so confused by all this pent up anger at a free youtube channel :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on February 21, 2017, 07:08:45 AM
If you like youtube car reviews he's one of the better ones. His signature format is his "one takes," where he ad-libs a review on the spot while driving canyons. He's not the harshest reviewer but that just seems to be his personality. He also reviews a lot of older cars, built cars, and customs, which is nice change of pace from the cookie-cutter format of a lot of these guys.

About ~1/2 of his reviews are done with owners. Some are a little awkward, but even the socially inept owners tend to open up and give neat insights into their rides.

Love the One Take vids. Matt's a pretty cool cat.

Unfortunately I think he has a big wreck coming. Some of those cars are way over powered.

ChrisV

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 21, 2017, 08:42:50 AM
I hate the damn shift paddles that turn with the wheel. Why the fuck.

Because, like the race cars they are patterned after, it allows you to shift while turning without moving your hand position on the wheel.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ChrisV on February 21, 2017, 11:09:18 AM
Because, like the race cars they are patterned after, it allows you to shift while turning without moving your hand position on the wheel.

I doubt this car's steering ratio is such that it can be driven without ever removing your hands from the wheel, but I could be wrong.

ChrisV

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 21, 2017, 11:16:50 AM
I doubt this car's steering ratio is such that it can be driven without ever removing your hands from the wheel, but I could be wrong.

You won't go around parking lots with both hands firmly on the wheel, but you WILL go down twisty roads that way. IN fact, most twisty roads and race tracks don't require full lock cornering when taken properly. Try it. Go to your favorite twisty backroad and, other than shifting, see how much steering angle you really ever have to feed in. You'll be surprised how little steering angle you actually have to use. Which makes paddle shifters moving with the wheel perfectly acceptable.

CALL_911

Matt Farah is probably my favorite reviewer this side of Chris Harris (who is also practically my idol). I love the LC and would totally own one.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on February 21, 2017, 11:02:13 AM
Love the One Take vids. Matt's a pretty cool cat.

Unfortunately I think he has a big wreck coming. Some of those cars are way over powered.

Agreed on all accounts

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

Quote from: ChrisV on February 21, 2017, 11:20:15 AM
You won't go around parking lots with both hands firmly on the wheel, but you WILL go down twisty roads that way. IN fact, most twisty roads and race tracks don't require full lock cornering when taken properly. Try it. Go to your favorite twisty backroad and, other than shifting, see how much steering angle you really ever have to feed in. You'll be surprised how little steering angle you actually have to use. Which makes paddle shifters moving with the wheel perfectly acceptable.

I prefer always knowing where the shift paddle is instead of having it move with the wheel. Just my preference.

I drove an E46 M3 with the paddles on the wheel and didn't like it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ChrisV

Quote from: Cookie Monster on February 21, 2017, 11:30:05 AM
I prefer always knowing where the shift paddle is instead of having it move with the wheel. Just my preference.

When you're halfway through a corner, and your hands are at 90 degrees to straight, and you need to shift, having it at your fingertips is nice. It's a learning curve, but it's much faster shifting when you don't have to remove your hands from the wheel mid corner.

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on February 21, 2017, 10:57:26 AM
...:confused:  It's free for you.  Money is not leaving your pocket every time you watch a video.

You're also free to just not watch?  I'm so confused by all this pent up anger at a free youtube channel :lol:

I haven't watched his channel in a long time... Utter click bait crap

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on February 21, 2017, 11:38:40 AM
When you're halfway through a corner, and your hands are at 90 degrees to straight, and you need to shift, having it at your fingertips is nice. It's a learning curve, but it's much faster shifting when you don't have to remove your hands from the wheel mid corner.

Shifting mid corner is generally frowned upon

GoCougs

So what are you doing shifting mid corner? ;)

Most cars' wheel-mounted paddles are smaller such that hands have to be at or fairly near 9 and 3 in order to shift. Column mounted paddles tend to be much larger which gives more flexibility on hand position. However, what with the explosion of dash graphics and the like, proper (large) column-mounted shifters are a PITA to package.

I much prefer column-mounted paddles - my experience comes from, amazingly, given how much the rest of the car is ho-hum, the Infiniti Q50.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ChrisV on February 21, 2017, 11:20:15 AM

I guess autox or reverse 180s are out of the question. What a bunch of bullshit.

And I drive a Versa. You'd be surprised how much sturring angle it requires.

Cookie Monster

I've never shifted halfway through a tight corner that required the wheel to be 90 degrees from straight. A sweeper, sure, but then the wheel is only tilted a few degrees off center, making large column mounted paddles still easy to reach.

Ferrari and Lamborghini mount their paddles to the column.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SJ_GTI

I've driven BMW's and Audi's with shift paddles. IIRC both had the paddles on the wheel? Ergonmics of having the paddle of the wheel seemed fine at the time. I guess I'd have to try a car with paddles on the column to get a feel for the difference.

ChrisV

Increasing or decreasing radius sweepers get shifting in the corner, so can cloverleaf on or offramps, especially as you feed in throttle after the apex. Autocross is lower speed and usually done primarily in one gear (second) once you actually get started. So it's not an issue there, either. Ergonomically it just works to have the shifter match your hand position. Ferrari street cars have column mounted paddles that are extremely long so you can catch them at nearly any point, but if you're crossed up in an autocross in one of them you'll still have issues getting to the paddle, so your argument is specious.

And the race cars?

MrH

Lol, yes, the LC500 is just like an F1 car, so the paddles should be on the wheel.  Strong argument.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Wheel mounted is clearly superior. For starters F1 + LMP1 + GT3 = wheel mounted. Naturally the day I come home to some BS worthy of a debunking video Forza needs a 1.5 GB update.... but we will debunk this shortly.

Quote from: GoCougs on February 21, 2017, 11:58:11 AM
Most cars' wheel-mounted paddles are smaller such that hands have to be at or fairly near 9 and 3 in order to shift.
Where else would your hands be while driving at the track :confused:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on February 21, 2017, 03:41:18 PM
Lol, yes, the LC500 is just like an F1 car, so the paddles should be on the wheel.  Strong argument.
What functional advantage do column mounted paddles have? And why have paddles at all if you are going to hamper their function, regardless of the car they are in :confused:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: ChrisV on February 21, 2017, 03:39:32 PM
Increasing or decreasing radius sweepers get shifting in the corner, so can cloverleaf on or offramps, especially as you feed in throttle after the apex. Autocross is lower speed and usually done primarily in one gear (second) once you actually get started. So it's not an issue there, either. Ergonomically it just works to have the shifter match your hand position. Ferrari street cars have column mounted paddles that are extremely long so you can catch them at nearly any point, but if you're crossed up in an autocross in one of them you'll still have issues getting to the paddle, so your argument is specious.

And the race cars?

I thought you just said you wouldn't need to change gears in an autocross course, so what's with this whole "getting crossed up and not being able to find the paddles" thing? And what kind of sweepers are you driving on that require 90 degrees or more of wheel input?

Steering mounted paddles your hands in a specific spot. Long column mounted paddles allow you a lot more freedom with hand placement while still being able to hit the paddles.

In the end, neither one is a deal breaker. As I said, I just prefer the column mounted ones.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

In the end, it's just a Lexus that old men will buy and leave in auto mode, so the paddles don't even fucking matter.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 21, 2017, 03:43:11 PM
What functional advantage do column mounted paddles have? And why have paddles at all if you are going to hamper their function, regardless of the car they are in :confused:

Most street cars don't have steering racks quick enough to be able to keep your hands at a single position on the wheel for day to day driving.  For that reason, I prefer large column mounted paddles.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on February 21, 2017, 04:19:52 PM
Most street cars don't have steering racks quick enough to be able to keep your hands at a single position on the wheel for day to day driving.  For that reason, I prefer large column mounted paddles.
I'm still not quite buying it.... when are you shifting gears with the wheel turned >120 or so degrees?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5UJa2q2js

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 21, 2017, 05:54:19 PM
I'm still not quite buying it.... when are you shifting gears with the wheel turned >120 or so degrees?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5UJa2q2js

When you're not playing video games.

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on February 21, 2017, 03:39:32 PM

And the race cars?

That's not a steering wheel, that's a steering yoke for a race car - hands have only one position to exist and the steering rack is super high ratio.

Sweepers have a large turn radius, so even on a street car, this means steering wheel input is small.

CaminoRacer

Column mounted FTW. Anytime you're gonna get confused where they are, you will also get confused with wheel-mounted ones. But you shouldn't be confused where the column ones are mounted, since they're always in the same spot.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV