Lincoln Continental Production Version

Started by Galaxy, January 12, 2016, 06:22:56 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 22, 2016, 11:17:18 AM
Come on man.

See Madman's autoblog link. It says it all.

Y'all hopped on the Madman hate train real quick. I'm here to tell you that you're wrong. You think this Continental is going to sell better than Cadillac? Pass me one of those blunts, cuz you're on some strong shit. Lincoln's brand is worth a quarter of Cadillac's, which is half of the Germans/Lexus.

It's not a bad car, but it's not special nor worthy of praise beyond the Cadillac CTS.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

I think Cadillac also doesn't have their pulse on the market correctly, but I don't think this Continental will be a rousing success, either. But not because of its underpinnings

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 22, 2016, 02:16:29 PM
See Madman's autoblog link. It says it all.

Y'all hopped on the Madman hate train real quick. I'm here to tell you that you're wrong. You think this Continental is going to sell better than Cadillac? Pass me one of those blunts, cuz you're on some strong shit. Lincoln's brand is worth a quarter of Cadillac's, which is half of the Germans/Lexus.

It's not a bad car, but it's not special nor worthy of praise beyond the Cadillac CTS.
The link, like my sentiments on the Continental, have nothing to do with platforms though. The car just doesn't have the gravitas needed for an American comeback flagship, but I think the cause of that is 100% design. It's very boring in and out.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 22, 2016, 04:38:58 PM
The link, like my sentiments on the Continental, have nothing to do with platforms though. The car just doesn't have the gravitas needed for an American comeback flagship, but I think the cause of that is 100% design. It's very boring in and out.

What if Lincoln offered a Scat Pack? Would that do it for you?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

I think this car will be successful with Lincoln buyers.  It may also win over some Buick buyers and maybe be cross-shopped with the Caddy XTS.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

I think it will do about as well as the MKS, but I think Lincoln needed a statement car. This isn't that.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT666 on January 22, 2016, 06:31:05 PM
I think it will do about as well as the MKS, but I think Lincoln needed a statement car. This isn't that.
Agree.  The name Continental should have been used only for a first rate luxury sedan.  The car is okay, but they've wasted the name on it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 22, 2016, 06:35:46 PM
Agree.  The name Continental should have been used only for a first rate luxury sedan.  The car is okay, but they've wasted the name on it.
It should be a car that turns heads, and not because it's crazy looking or covered in chrome. It should be handsome and dripping with class.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

It should be more like a fat, luxirious Mustang, IMHOMO.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 22, 2016, 02:42:46 PM
I think Cadillac also doesn't have their pulse on the market correctly, but I don't think this Continental will be a rousing success, either. But not because of its underpinnings

+1
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

I was most disappointed by Lincoln today at the Chicago auto show. The Continental looked nice (although already dated) but the rest of the lineup looked like overpriced Ford.

Lincoln has a lot of work to do just to match Buick. Infiniti, Lexus, Cadillac, and Acura are in a whole different league.

12,000 RPM

Matching is irrelevant. For example Jaguar is a legit German competitor, and Lincoln's cynical super Fusion outsells its whole brand several times over. From a business standpoint I would say Lincoln is one of the strongest luxury brands, precisely because they don't try to be what they're not.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 18, 2016, 05:54:05 AM
Matching is irrelevant. For example Jaguar is a legit German competitor, and Lincoln's cynical super Fusion outsells its whole brand several times over. From a business standpoint I would say Lincoln is one of the strongest luxury brands, precisely because they don't try to be what they're not.

No no no no

Lincoln doesn't match the volume of Cadillac, Acura, and is less than half the volume of Buick.

Why do you keep saying Lincoln is a strong luxury brand when it's literally the weakest one out there.

They have the MKC and MKZ and that's it; those cars are ok, but they have nothing in other segments worth a damn.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on February 18, 2016, 06:11:21 AM

No no no no

Lincoln doesn't match the volume of Cadillac, Acura, and is less than half the volume of Buick.

Why do you keep saying Lincoln is a strong luxury brand when it's literally the weakest one out there.

They have the MKC and MKZ and that's it; those cars are ok, but they have nothing in other segments worth a damn.
Most of Cadillac, Acura and Buick's sales are from SUVs. In the car markets Lincoln is in they all pretty much match. But Acura and Lincoln's cars are definitely the most profitable. Lincoln is not the most aspirational or high end brand, but then it doesn't have to be. If a Lexus ES/RX is good enough to be a top seller at a "legitimate/healthy" brand then a super Fusion/Escape/Edge is too.

sparkplug

continental is pretty nice luxury. it's bones appear to be the taurus bones.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.