Camaro ZL1

Started by 68_427, March 15, 2016, 10:29:44 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on March 16, 2016, 06:02:29 PM
The Camaro is at least LOSING weight! Not gaining like the M4 and Mustang.

True, but it really had no place to go but down. I wonder if everyone rationalizing the weight would have defended a 4200 lb curb weight.

68_427

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 16, 2016, 07:17:01 PM
True, but it really had no place to go but down. I wonder if everyone rationalizing the weight would have defended a 4200 lb curb weight.

The CTS-V does fine :lol:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

http://youtu.be/wLDSlYvprTM

Still seems to lag behind DCT in response times on downshifts but those upshifts look money.
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

The Super Charger whine is wicked! Porsche would charge 170K for a car like that!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on March 16, 2016, 07:09:03 PM
I'll take the lighter car that doesn't need all those nanny aids to compensate for weight.

Lol.  In six weeks cars will drive themselves anyway.  Bring on the behemoths.  I want to get to work faster while texting and making coffee and watching Keeping up with the Kardashians.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

When the Mustang and Camaro were slower but still have fun sounding V8s and a fun driving experience, people complained and wanted them to be faster. Now they're hella fast and people complain and want them to be more "fun".
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 16, 2016, 11:28:20 PM
When the Mustang and Camaro were slower but still have fun sounding V8s and a fun driving experience, people complained and wanted them to be faster. Now they're hella fast and people complain and want them to be more "fun".

I like my sportscars light. But I'm not bothered by the weight of these cars because they aren't sportscars. My pick is still a Scat Pack Challenger, and that thing weighs some 4100 lbs. They're really cruisers that happen to go fast. I'm sure this Camaro can tear up a track just fine, but my enthusiasm for pony cars fade fast beyond the $45,000 mark.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on March 16, 2016, 03:21:59 PM
Not saying anyone is stupid, just implicitly pointing out the fact that there is this complaining but no material information or data to back it up.

People need information & data to back up their personal preferences for lighter cars? :confused:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on March 16, 2016, 10:20:12 PM
Lol.  In six weeks cars will drive themselves anyway.  Bring on the behemoths.  I want to get to work faster while texting and making coffee and watching Keeping up with the Kardashians.
:pee:

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 17, 2016, 06:26:08 AM
People need information & data to back up their personal preferences for lighter cars? :confused:

Asian chicks make me horny, but I'm not posting a pic of my aroused dick.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 68_427 on March 16, 2016, 09:14:52 PM
Still seems to lag behind DCT in response times on downshifts but those upshifts look money.

Mercedes, and others, have tried the whole "faster than a DCT" BS with regards to non DCT automatics. It's all marketing BS, they say it because they didn't get a REAL DCT so they pretend that theirs is "better" anyway.

Mercedes pulled that, then immediately within a year or two they switched to actual DCT's on their serious sports offerings.

It's just hyperbole until they actually get around to getting a true DCT.

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on March 17, 2016, 05:32:21 AM
I like my sportscars light. But I'm not bothered by the weight of these cars because they aren't sportscars. My pick is still a Scat Pack Challenger, and that thing weighs some 4100 lbs. They're really cruisers that happen to go fast. I'm sure this Camaro can tear up a track just fine, but my enthusiasm for pony cars fade fast beyond the $45,000 mark.
See, I want my performance cars to actually handle half decently, so Challenger is out.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2016, 07:30:53 AM
Mercedes, and others, have tried the whole "faster than a DCT" BS with regards to non DCT automatics. It's all marketing BS, they say it because they didn't get a REAL DCT so they pretend that theirs is "better" anyway.

Mercedes pulled that, then immediately within a year or two they switched to actual DCT's on their serious sports offerings.

It's just hyperbole until they actually get around to getting a true DCT.

I'm not sure why you really need faster upshifts than that, to be honest. Improving driving skill is going to get 100x better results than decreasing shift times by .02 of a second.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on March 17, 2016, 08:52:34 AM
See, I want my performance cars to actually handle half decently, so Challenger is out.

Unless you're going racing, the point is largely moot. Below 7/10ths, the Challenger is far more comfortable, has better sightlines, and looks much better inside and out than the previous gen Camaro. Brother has both, and I've driven them both. Can't compare with the new Camaro, which I realize is a vast improvement, but as it stands for me the Scat Pack Challenger with 465 hp for $40,000 is hard to beat.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on March 17, 2016, 09:11:28 AM
Unless you're going racing, the point is largely moot. Below 7/10ths, the Challenger is far more comfortable, has better sightlines, and looks much better inside and out than the previous gen Camaro. Brother has both, and I've driven them both. Can't compare with the new Camaro, which I realize is a vast improvement, but as it stands for me the Scat Pack Challenger with 465 hp for $40,000 is hard to beat.
Rustang is and for the last ~3 decades always has been the better "car car" so that's what it would be for me. I drove my buddy's Challenger R/T... lot better than I thought it would be, but still like driving a submarine

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 17, 2016, 09:02:38 AM
I'm not sure why you really need faster upshifts than that, to be honest. Improving driving skill is going to get 100x better results than decreasing shift times by .02 of a second.

It's really not about that, it's about offering a better product. When everyone else is using a superior technology, it becomes a norm, DCT's will be(are?) the norm for a performance self shifting transmission.

Spending time to develop an inferior product, and then marketing it as better is just foolish, and to some people, sad.

A 8-10 speed traditional automatic is a fine transmission, possibly top of it's class, but for cars like the impala/malibu/cruze or for it's half ton gas trucks.

CaminoRacer

I'm actually not a fan of DCTs. I like torque converters if I can't be in control of the clutch.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2016, 09:25:33 AM
It's really not about that, it's about offering a better product. When everyone else is using a superior technology, it becomes a norm, DCT's will be(are?) the norm for a performance self shifting transmission.

Spending time to develop an inferior product, and then marketing it as better is just foolish, and to some people, sad.

A 8-10 speed traditional automatic is a fine transmission, possibly top of it's class, but for cars like the impala/malibu/cruze or for it's half ton gas trucks.
What is superior about a DCT over a planetary auto? Other than super quick shifts I would say they are about equal. DCTs still grumble and judder from a stop and there was that whole Ford DCT fiasco that still hasn't really been resolved. No such problems from autos

MX793

I think Acura's DCT coupled with a torque converter is a good solution.  Torque converter smoothness when taking off from a stop, DCT shift speed and crispness once rolling.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Gah I meant to mention that. Even still though, autos lock up a lot more than they used to. I read somewhere Mazda pretty much locks up the torque converter on their cars from like 10 MPH onward between shifts.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 17, 2016, 10:12:29 AM
What is superior about a DCT over a planetary auto? Other than super quick shifts I would say they are about equal. DCTs still grumble and judder from a stop and there was that whole Ford DCT fiasco that still hasn't really been resolved. No such problems from autos
:hesaid:

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 17, 2016, 09:02:38 AM

I believe shifts should only be as fast as you can physically do it. I was timing shifts in my car the other day. Using a stopwatch, it came to "fast enough".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

DCTs are inherently superior - esp. no solenoids, no valves and no fluid coupling and the newer crop seem to be much better at the slow speed stuff.

But I will say, the new crop of slushies such as the ZF8 and the GM10 are monster. Their only real major detriment is no legit launch control, but then again, LC is a bit artificial, given how much rigamarole goes on in actually using it (press this, step on this, then step on that, then wait for revs to build, blah, blah).

MX793

My car has launch control.  Once you turn it on in the menu, it stays engaged until you turn it off.  After that, the steps to use it are easy.  Depress clutch, engage first gear, push throttle to the floor, sidestep clutch.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on March 17, 2016, 11:38:02 AM
I believe shifts should only be as fast as you can physically do it. I was timing shifts in my car the other day. Using a stopwatch, it came to "fast enough".
Why should everyone else have to adhere to your beliefs?

(I prefer stickshift to DCTs BTW)

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 18, 2016, 10:02:22 AM
Why should everyone else have to adhere to your beliefs?

(I prefer stickshift to DCTs BTW)

I didn't say they had to.   :huh:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on March 18, 2016, 09:27:52 AM
My car has launch control.  Once you turn it on in the menu, it stays engaged until you turn it off.  After that, the steps to use it are easy.  Depress clutch, engage first gear, push throttle to the floor, sidestep clutch.

That's spin control.

With launch control, for each launch, you press a button, then step on the brake, then floor the gas, then wait till revs reach max, and then release the brake. I suspect they make it a bit of a PITA 'cause it's hard on the clutches. But whatevs, it's good for specs but in day-to-day driving it isn't all the useful - too much time/planning to use.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on March 25, 2016, 07:35:03 AM
That's spin control.

With launch control, for each launch, you press a button, then step on the brake, then floor the gas, then wait till revs reach max, and then release the brake. I suspect they make it a bit of a PITA 'cause it's hard on the clutches. But whatevs, it's good for specs but in day-to-day driving it isn't all the useful - too much time/planning to use.

No, it's launch control.  When activated, the system holds the RPMs at a preset level while the accelerator is to the floor and the clutch is in (somewhere between 3 and 4 thousand RPM, IIRC).  Once you release the clutch, TCS manages torque to minimize wheelspin.  Essentially the same except the driver holds the clutch pedal instead of the brake to use the system.  And I don't have to go through a complicated routine each and every time I use it.
Needs more Jiggawatts