Mandatory Automatic Emergency Braking

Started by SVT666, March 17, 2016, 03:21:02 PM

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 19, 2016, 02:50:05 PM
Naw, I was making a right turn, watch for traffic for the road I was turning onto instead of the person in front of me. There wasn't anyone coming but the lady didn't go. Stupid mistake.

I've almost done that. Fortunately it was one of the few times I had a passenger, and she told me to stop.

Rupert

I almost do that more than I care to admit.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on March 19, 2016, 03:20:16 PM
I almost do that more than I care to admit.

I think a lot of people do.  I've taken to not even checking cross traffic to see if it's clear for me to pull out until the car in front of me has gone at a stop sign (or right on red).  I keep my eyes on the car in front of me until they go, then I pull up to the stop line and start checking traffic for an opening to pull out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

That's one of the first things I learned when I first started driving - look where you're going before hitting the gas.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 19, 2016, 02:52:02 PM
Next logical step.... if you are completely paranoid, and completely discount the large # of people who still want to drive (and the auto companies that build cars for them), as well as the millions of motorcyclists on the roads. Again you have passed the event horizon on this one, not much purpose having a serious discussion about this with you.

You think the automakers will care about what the "large number of people" will want to do?  How many people are driving enthusiasts who enjoy driving?  Probably no more than 5% of drivers.  The other 95% will love their Twitter machines and embrace them with open arms.  Illegal manual cars will mean that automakers get to sell a bunch of brand new cars to people.  This won't happen overnight, but it will happen. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on March 19, 2016, 05:52:07 PM
You think the automakers will care about what the "large number of people" will want to do?  How many people are driving enthusiasts who enjoy driving?  Probably no more than 5% of drivers.  The other 95% will love their Twitter machines and embrace them with open arms.  Illegal manual cars will mean that automakers get to sell a bunch of brand new cars to people.  This won't happen overnight, but it will happen. 

The millions of people who refused to upgrade their computers from Windows XP will also be among the legions who would reject autonomous cars. It won't just be car enthusiasts.

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on March 19, 2016, 04:06:04 PM
I think a lot of people do.  I've taken to not even checking cross traffic to see if it's clear for me to pull out until the car in front of me has gone at a stop sign (or right on red).  I keep my eyes on the car in front of me until they go, then I pull up to the stop line and start checking traffic for an opening to pull out.

Works great for a small street, but when pulling onto a bunch of lanes, it takes a couple of seconds to process what all the cars are doing in all the lanes, and the slightly different perspective of the second car in the line can be helpful in figuring out which cars are in which lanes. I think the key is to do both-- look at traffic, but don't move forward without looking at the car in front. I think my problem is that I glance more than look at the car in front  a lot of the time.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

ifcar

Quote from: Rupert on March 19, 2016, 09:12:51 PM
Works great for a small street, but when pulling onto a bunch of lanes, it takes a couple of seconds to process what all the cars are doing in all the lanes, and the slightly different perspective of the second car in the line can be helpful in figuring out which cars are in which lanes. I think the key is to do both-- look at traffic, but don't move forward without looking at the car in front. I think my problem is that I glance more than look at the car in front  a lot of the time.

And sometimes they'll start moving, then stop as soon as you look away.

Rupert

Yeah, that's usually when I screw it up. I won't hit the accelerator like I'm pulling out without looking right in front of me, but I routinely roll forward after a glance.