I leased a Cadillac.

Started by CJ, March 22, 2016, 02:12:47 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 23, 2016, 02:39:47 PM
That sounds more like a problem with a underdamped setup

I find it entertaining to watch other cars go over bumps and see how bad their shocks are compared to mine. They'll be bucking around like an angry bull while my car settles instantly.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

I'm pretty sure the MDX's shocks are blown. I was driving with 4 other friends and all of our skis and gear in the car and we hit a couple of bumps on the highway and the thing was bottoming out so badly. It was pretty hilarious.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Are your shocks blown or are the springs just not stiff enough for five people and ski gear?  Blown shocks just means an annoyingly bouncy ride. Spring stiffness ultimately is what's gonna determine your bottoming out.

afaik.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 23, 2016, 05:40:45 PM
Are your shocks blown or are the springs just not stiff enough for five people and ski gear?  Blown shocks just means an annoyingly bouncy ride. Spring stiffness ultimately is what's gonna determine your bottoming out.

afaik.

Could be both? You could definitely feel some bump stop action as well as extra undulations after the bump.

That thing is a trooper, though. I keep wanting to get a Subaru as a snow car but the MDX just keeps going and takes a beating without complaining. :wub:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

veeman

Max payload capacity of MDX is @1200 lbs.  5 dudes and ski gear and you're probably over that. 

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

I don't think of heritage when I think of Cadillac.

Cadillac's been trying to crib Euro "heritage" for the past 20 years.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT_Power

Quote from: veeman on March 24, 2016, 05:32:18 AM
Max payload capacity of MDX is @1200 lbs.  5 dudes and ski gear and you're probably over that. 

I know Raggu lives in 'MURICA, but I'd be surprised if the average weight of the guys in the car is >200 lbs
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 25, 2016, 07:51:51 PM
I know Raggu lives in 'MURICA, but I'd be surprised if the average weight of the guys in the car is >200 lbs

Let's assume 5x165 for people.  Skis & boots & warm clothes & helmets & jackets & ski poles is probably another 20-25lbs per person depending on the gear.  So that's 925lbs right there.  Full tank of fuel (6lbs/gallon), and it's getting there. Definitely sag-worthy. :lol:

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 25, 2016, 08:10:23 PM
Let's assume 5x165 for people.  Skis & boots & warm clothes & helmets & jackets & ski poles is probably another 20-25lbs per person depending on the gear.  So that's 925lbs right there.  Full tank of fuel (6lbs/gallon), and it's getting there. Definitely sag-worthy. :lol:

That would be skinny dudes for 'Murica  :lol:.  I don't ski a lot but ski gear is way more than 25 lbs including skis and boots.  Ski boots weigh a ton.  I agree with you that there's probably nothing wrong with your shocks/springs. 

That's a lot of gear to cram in the back.  The skis were probably on a roof rack which maybe further affected car's dynamics.     

Char

As car enthusiast, I think we get caught up in ourselves and don't realize that normal people are just looking for something that looks good, and is comfortable. Congrats on the purchase, and thank goodness you didn't buy a VW.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on March 26, 2016, 12:41:30 AM
That would be skinny dudes for 'Murica  :lol:.  I don't ski a lot but ski gear is way more than 25 lbs including skis and boots.  Ski boots weigh a ton.  I agree with you that there's probably nothing wrong with your shocks/springs. 

That's a lot of gear to cram in the back.  The skis were probably on a roof rack which maybe further affected car's dynamics.     

I was being pretty conservative.

Soup DeVille

Ehh. Payload limits are just sort of vague suggestions anyways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

congrats btw, I know I'm late to the thread here. Saw it on FB
Will

MexicoCityM3

Today I went car browsing with the wife. We looked at these. I can lease it for a lot less than anything comparable in its segment which is kind of attractive. We didn't drive it. On that lease it seems a crazy value.

We also took a look and a test drive of the new BMW X1. It is sold here only in FWD 20i guise (190hp). I liked it more than I expected. Monika liked it a lot better than the Caddy even though it is clearly a segment below. My brainwashing of years at work.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Didn't she just get a Countryman?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Yeah, those cars are so similar in regards to build quality and overall ergonomics.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Laconian on March 26, 2016, 09:57:09 PM
Didn't she just get a Countryman?

Quote from: 2o6 on March 27, 2016, 10:18:04 AM
Yeah, those cars are so similar in regards to build quality and overall ergonomics.

We got the Countryman a couple of years ago. And will most likely hold on to it one more year until the warranty expires.

The X1 is based on the next UKL2 MINI/FWD BMW platform. For some reason it is huge inside compared to the Countryman, particularly for cargo space.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

ifcar

Well, it's quite a bit bigger than the Countryman, no? That would certainly explain a lot of the extra space.

CJ

Quote from: Char on March 26, 2016, 09:49:31 AM
As car enthusiast, I think we get caught up in ourselves and don't realize that normal people are just looking for something that looks good, and is comfortable. Congrats on the purchase, and thank goodness you didn't buy a VW.

A VW may be my next car. Seriously thinking a Golf R. My mom's Jetta SW TDI has been flawless. This is her second one, as a matter of fact. My friend Casey's Golf R is wonderful, as is his gf's Beetle TDI.

GoCougs

Golf R is world class to say the least. As of now, it's my next car (runner up is a M/T S4, but I'm on a minimalist kick). Still on the fence over M/T vs. DSG. The former's shifter is a bit loose and long and in general turbos don't do as well with M/T - DSG is more befitting but it's not as manual as I would like, plus, it's not entirely slushie smooth at low speeds. Will have to drive them again, esp. the DSG, and I may not have had it in the right setting.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 26, 2016, 07:19:33 PM
Today I went car browsing with the wife. We looked at these. I can lease it for a lot less than anything comparable in its segment which is kind of attractive. We didn't drive it. On that lease it seems a crazy value.

We also took a look and a test drive of the new BMW X1. It is sold here only in FWD 20i guise (190hp). I liked it more than I expected. Monika liked it a lot better than the Caddy even though it is clearly a segment below. My brainwashing of years at work.
Bro make sure you can fit an infant car seat in the back

With that limitation anything smaller than an RX is no go. I am bummed because I was looking at the Q5 and MKC but they cannot legitimately fit a rear facing infant seat.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CJ on March 27, 2016, 05:25:21 PM

A VW may be my next car. Seriously thinking a Golf R. My mom's Jetta SW TDI has been flawless. This is her second one, as a matter of fact. My friend Casey's Golf R is wonderful, as is his gf's Beetle TDI.
You're not worried about their financial situation?

A GTI (PP, LSD, 4dr 6MT) + new Tiguan (assuming it could fit a rear facing infant seat) would be perfect for us, and I'm sure they are offering screaming deals right now. But I just don't have faith in VW anymore as a company.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 28, 2016, 07:10:18 AM
Bro make sure you can fit an infant car seat in the back

With that limitation anything smaller than an RX is no go. I am bummed because I was looking at the Q5 and MKC but they cannot legitimately fit a rear facing infant seat.

Really?

Also, why a rear facing seat? What's the point of those? You can't see what's going on with your kid.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on March 28, 2016, 07:15:17 AM
Really?

Also, why a rear facing seat? What's the point of those? You can't see what's going on with your kid.

Small baby doesn't have head control and cannot sit up.  Therefore they are kept in a rear facing infant car seat in which they are lying down on their back.  The infant car seat usually detachs right from the baby stroller and goes into the back seat of the car.  They have quite a bit more length to them so cars with smaller backseats often cannot fit them (although the center backseat often can accommodate because it's not hitting against the back of the front seats).   Actually the center backseat is the safest place for the infant as well.  The driver can see the infant by using a mirror latched to back seat (rear view mirror -> latched back seat mirror -> see baby).

Raza

Quote from: veeman on March 28, 2016, 07:57:44 AM
Small baby doesn't have head control and cannot sit up.  Therefore they are kept in a rear facing infant car seat in which they are lying down on their back.  The infant car seat usually detachs right from the baby stroller and goes into the back seat of the car.  They have quite a bit more length to them so cars with smaller backseats often cannot fit them (although the center backseat often can accommodate because it's not hitting against the back of the front seats).   Actually the center backseat is the safest place for the infant as well.  The driver can see the infant by using a mirror latched to back seat (rear view mirror -> latched back seat mirror -> see baby).

Oh, yeah, I think I actually saw a car the other day with that mirror setup and a rear-facing seat, now that you mention it.  I thought it was clever at the time, but I was coming back from the bar. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Yeah, baby car seats are huge! You are supposed to keep the carry handle down while in the car but that makes it even more impossible to fit into the car.

As for seeing the baby, that's over-rated. Either they are sleeping or happy, in which case who cares. If they're up set they let you know....
Will

SJ_GTI

"Huge" is probably overstating it. My car does not have a large back seat and I was able to fit two rear facing car seats in the back + two adult males in the front when I was carpooling with my brother (his kids daycare was near my office).

They do take up more space than front facing car seats for sure though.

12,000 RPM

Your car is a decent size bro. Couldn't do infant seats in an A3

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 28, 2016, 08:48:35 AM
Your car is a decent size bro. Couldn't do infant seats in an A3

Q5 and MKC can't fit one?  I kinda doubt that.  Did you try at the dealer?