Big lines forming for prospective Tesla Model 3 buyers

Started by Laconian, March 31, 2016, 11:56:25 AM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

BimmerM3

Wow, that's crazy. Apparently there are three priorities for reservations:

1. Existing Tesla owners
2. People who reserve at a store
3. People who reserve online.

I have a friend from college who's apparently #5 in line at his local store.

SJ_GTI

I have to wonder if there is going to be some massive disappointment with this car. Most of the press recites that the car "will be $35,000" when what they should probably be saying is it will "start at $35,000 and likely be in the range of $60,000 well equipped."

12,000 RPM

I thought, "wow Tesla must be doing well, this must be a ping to buy some stock"

Then I thought, "they probably hired these folks to sit in line for that exact fucking effect"

I dont trust this dude at all
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

That price is suitable for Bellevue (these guys would be buying Mercedes C-classes anyways), don't know about the rest of the country though.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 31, 2016, 12:28:50 PM
I thought, "wow Tesla must be doing well, this must be a ping to buy some stock"

Then I thought, "they probably hired these folks to sit in line for that exact fucking effect"

I dont trust this dude at all

LOL, whatever. Several dozen folks from my office are camping in the lines. There's real excitement, just not in your bubbles.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

68_427

There's been like 150K pre-orders in the last 24 hours
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Base: $35k, 215 mile range. Don't know what options the base model will come with.

CaminoRacer

wtf ipadPLUS dash

also it needs a grill or something on the front end. there's a perfect spot for one and it looks like it's missing something with one.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2016, 11:10:51 PM
Base: $35k, 215 mile range. Don't know what options the base model will come with.

Autopilot standard
AWD optional
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 31, 2016, 11:20:18 PM
wtf ipadPLUS dash

also it needs a grill or something on the front end. there's a perfect spot for one and it looks like it's missing something with one.
I felt the same way. Makes it look Chinese.

My guess is they had to make some styling compromises to get decent numbers on a less capacious powertrain.

93JC

That interior—the 'UI' (:rolleyes:)—is the antithesis of everything I would want in a car. It is still, ultimately, a machine that propels itself: I need to know how fast I'm going. Ergo, where in the fuck is the speedometer?

Laconian

The interior looks like one of those concept car interiors from the early 2000's, where you see it and think "nah, the designers were smoking something, that's never gonna be mass produced..."

Laconian

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2016, 12:30:12 PM
LOL, whatever. Several dozen folks from my office are camping in the lines. There's real excitement, just not in your bubbles.

Teslas are a lot more popular in your neck of the woods, that's true. Nice cars too, and some of that excitement is appropriate.

Still, I think a certain amount of caution around Elon Musk is appropriate.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 01, 2016, 02:20:27 AM
Teslas are a lot more popular in your neck of the woods, that's true. Nice cars too, and some of that excitement is appropriate.

+1
Will

AutobahnSHO

I like it. The absence of grille is on purpose- shows it's not like all the other cars.

This car will push the electric game along quite well. The price point is a big thing!!
Will

68_427

When you compare it to it's main rival at this price point, the Chevy Bolt, it certainly looks the part and has the technology to back it up however I think the Chevy will be a better car to live with every day.  Especially in areas where supercharger availability just isn't any good.
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Quote from: Laconian on April 01, 2016, 12:05:06 AM
That's a muthafuckin TINY wheel!

Maybe the perspective is just skewed by the massive screen? It looks normal in this picture:

12,000 RPM

That screen is retarded

I want to see the crash tests

SJ_GTI

Watched the info videos this morning.

Exterior: A+ Love the style. I see a lot of criticism re: lack of a grill, but I think it looks nice as is. Anyway since I am in NJ I will have to put a license plate there anyway. I think the overall proportions look great, which to me is the biggest styling factor for any car (proportions).

Interior: B Looks decent. I do not like the lack of gauges in front of the driver and I don't like the column mounted shifter. I am sure both work (neither is a first), but neither is my preference. If If the gear selector is just for P-D-R, I would still prefer it to be in between the driver and passenger. Otherwise everthing looks good. I don't mind the giant iPad and the seats look great.

Price/Features: A+ If what he says is true it sounds like the 35k model will be reasonably well optioned (incl. autopilot hardware and supercharger compatibility). Personally I would want AWD + the bigger battery, but 215 miles and RWD @ 35k is pretty damn nice (again, assuming he is telling the truth regarding the level of features that are standard).

12,000 RPM

More I look into it it does look pretty impressive

We will see though

ifcar

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 01, 2016, 07:38:08 AM
Watched the info videos this morning.

Exterior: A+ Love the style. I see a lot of criticism re: lack of a grill, but I think it looks nice as is. Anyway since I am in NJ I will have to put a license plate there anyway. I think the overall proportions look great, which to me is the biggest styling factor for any car (proportions).

That's a good point -- it will look a lot less empty with a plate on it.

2o6

Exterior, I think it's gorgeous

But I think Elon should really stop relying on the gimmicks - with this car being at a lower price point, I anticipate problems that the Model S has with those dumb features being only amplified further.

The door handles will break, that screen will freeze (also the design team needs to be beaten for thinking this is good design) and I wonder what that all glass roof does to body rigidity.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 01, 2016, 02:20:27 AM

Elon Musk's "futuristic" adventures (Tesla, SpaceX, Solar City) would not exist without government subsidy. Same can be said about conventional automakers too but at least there is a whole lot more eco rationality and inherent business stability in a $20k Civic...

2o6

That interior looks like an Asus Monitor slapped on the dashboard.

SJ_GTI

IIRC the glass roof will be optional, not standard. Personally I would not pay extra for it, but I wouldn't be upset if it was standard.