Big lines forming for prospective Tesla Model 3 buyers

Started by Laconian, March 31, 2016, 11:56:25 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 01, 2016, 10:03:07 AM
+1. I'm certain that was a very intentional design decision. I can see Elon sitting in a board room asking, "Why do we need a grill for a car without a radiator?"

It's not that there isn't a grille; it's that's there's a surface there that's grille-shaped and near vertical that begs for- something other than blank space.

Lots of cars have had minimal grilles in the past without looking like their mouths were sown shut, or that something went wrong with the trimmer when it was popped out of the mold.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

A teammate was going to preorder one, but got out of line when he learned that the price was going to be over $35k (disqualifying it for state tax incentives) and because Tesla will definitely run out of tax credits by the time the first Model 3 is even delivered.

He said he really just wants a safe car. I gave him a link to the Subaru IIHS scores. Now he wants a Subaru. :mrcool:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

The Bolt looks a heck of a lot better than the Leaf or i3.

The thought of driving an electric car on slushy salt-laden roads spooks me. Not a fan of spontaneous combustion.

93JC

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 01, 2016, 02:10:27 PM
Would definitely prefer a hatchback (similar to the Model S) myself, but it seems fine. But maybe I don't use my trunk as some people.  :huh:

I use my car's hatch all the time. :huh:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 01, 2016, 02:35:59 PM
It's not that there isn't a grille; it's that's there's a surface there that's grille-shaped and near vertical that begs for- something other than blank space.

Lots of cars have had minimal grilles in the past without looking like their mouths were sown shut, or that something went wrong with the trimmer when it was popped out of the mold.

Exactly
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 01, 2016, 02:35:59 PM

:hesaid:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 93JC on April 01, 2016, 02:42:00 PM
I use my car's hatch all the time. :huh:

I use my trunk a lot too. I am, apparently, just not putting the huge amount of stuff other folks do, I guess.  :lol:

93JC

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 01, 2016, 02:51:06 PM
I use my trunk a lot too. I am, apparently, just not putting the huge amount of stuff other folks do, I guess.  :lol:

The trunk of your car is accessible and has a big opening, so it's no big deal.

That's a lot more generous than the opening of this new Tesla's trunk.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 01, 2016, 11:26:17 AM
Actually, that's like the worst case for electric. You're barely scratching the surface of that battery capcity. Just burn some dinosaurs, it's not like an ICE car burns much fuel to go 6 miles. ;)

For an ultra-short commute, there's no reason to waste time at gas stations, electric would be cheaper (once the cost of the cars comes down.) 

I currently drive minivan, wife will be starting work Monday a good 20min from here so wants to drive her Impreza. Minivan gets to stretch it's legs every now and again on long trips.
Will

Payman

I'd love to have one of these for my commute. I'd name it Luigi.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 01, 2016, 02:32:54 PM
Its "functional."  :lol:

I agree, but I could get over the looks if it was fun to drive.

Being electric, I would doubt that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on April 01, 2016, 02:38:46 PM
The Bolt looks a heck of a lot better than the Leaf or i3.

The thought of driving an electric car on slushy salt-laden roads spooks me. Not a fan of spontaneous combustion.

I'm sure it'll be fine. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on April 01, 2016, 02:17:14 PM
Body rigidity has to come from somewhere. The glass roof looks like it's one piece from the base of the a pillar to the start of the trunk.
I guess a metal roof would have been too easy :huh:

I can only imagine how much that piece of glass costs as well. Surely there was nowhere else they could have spent that money :facepalm:

But it is a legit long range EV for $35K. I feel like it could have been $25K and just as useful though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2016, 04:07:12 PM
Being electric, I would doubt that. 

Doubt what, Being fun to drive? I beg to differ, having driven a number of pure EVs and my Volt. Instant torque and a low CG is fun.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

280Z Turbo

The interior looks like crap. It looks cheaper than a normal automotive interior, but definitely not better.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2016, 04:09:05 PM
I'm sure it'll be fine. 

I've seen thousands of charged lithium ion batteries get smashed, pierced, and shorted by machinery at work, and we've never had a fire or explosion. Gasoline is a lot more dangerous.

GoCougs

The Model S interior is cheap too - almost kit car in some respects (steering column and points underneath it).

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on April 01, 2016, 08:37:18 AM
Elon Musk's "futuristic" adventures (Tesla, SpaceX, Solar City) would not exist without government subsidy.

Okay, but companies like Boeing would not exist today without US-Export-Import bank. To some extent government subsidies can not be avoided.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2016, 04:09:05 PM
I'm sure it'll be fine. 

I want these jokes to be better.... Fisker doesn't even exist anymore, and regular cars burn up too

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on April 01, 2016, 05:31:49 PM
Okay, but companies like Boeing would not exist today without US-Export-Import bank. To some extent government subsidies can not be avoided.

I wouldn't go that far with it. Without subsidy, Boeing, GM, etc., and other such companies would still exist, as there is mammoth material value in building and selling passenger jets and affordable passenger cars, it's that they probably wouldn't exist in their current oligopolistic form. Either way, I don't see material value in mass producing a $80k+ electric car - 4 years on and all sorts of subsidy and irrational exuberance and Tesla is still in the red with no clear path or strategy to profitability.

AutobahnSHO

Lol much of the research Boeing does is subsidized by the military.
Will

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on April 01, 2016, 05:20:42 PM
The Model S interior is cheap too - almost kit car in some respects (steering column and points underneath it).

Yeah, I thought I was the one one who thought that parts of the model S felt....homemade.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 01, 2016, 04:49:39 PM
I guess a metal roof would have been too easy :huh:

I can only imagine how much that piece of glass costs as well. Surely there was nowhere else they could have spent that money :facepalm:

But it is a legit long range EV for $35K. I feel like it could have been $25K and just as useful though.

Couldn't you get a glass roof similar to this in the Mustang for a few years?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

The thing which impresses me most about the model S is how safe it is.  Consumer Reports said it was the safest car they had ever tested.  Musk says the same thing will be true about the model 3. 

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 01, 2016, 09:32:50 PM
Couldn't you get a glass roof similar to this in the Mustang for a few years?

In the Mustang, the was a break between the roof panel and rear windshield with a fairly thick cross member.  It wasn't on huge piece of glass like the Tesla.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on April 01, 2016, 05:13:23 PM
Doubt what, Being fun to drive? I beg to differ, having driven a number of pure EVs and my Volt. Instant torque and a low CG is fun.

Agree to disagree. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 01, 2016, 07:08:33 PM
I want these jokes to be better.... Fisker doesn't even exist anymore, and regular cars burn up too

Why do you hate cars so much? 

Also, is it possible that Fisker doesn't exist anymore because so many of them caught fire? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 02, 2016, 03:15:12 PM
Why do you hate cars so much? 

Also, is it possible that Fisker doesn't exist anymore because so many of them caught fire?
Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche sports cars self-immolate all the time are all selling like gangbusters.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2016, 03:32:10 PM
Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche sports cars self-immolate all the time are all selling like gangbusters.

Gallardos, sure.  But Ferraris and Porsches?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on April 02, 2016, 03:39:10 PM
Gallardos, sure.  But Ferraris and Porsches?

Porsche recently had an issue with GT3s, as I recall...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5