Golf R
7 (63.6%)
STI
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: April 26, 2016, 02:28:25 AM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on April 18, 2016, 10:13:38 PM
Things a Focus RS or Golf R can do that a Camaro or Mustang can't (out of the box): move a chest of drawers, drive in the snow, carry four people comfortably.  That's what I'm talking about. 
This Sounds more like a Crew Cab pick up than a sports car!  ;)  And FYI I drove my Z28s (and a Mustang GT) year round and plenty of people drive Pony Cars year round here in SNOWY ASS Cleveland.....

Quote from: GoCougs on April 18, 2016, 10:44:59 PM
Then why do the Mustang and Camaro each outsell (let alone both together) all other performance cars at all price points put together?

Pony cars are not second cars - the vast majority of Americans cannot afford a $25k+ second/plaything car. Americans drive them as primary cars and get by just fine.

The STI, Golf R, Focus RS, etc., perform fine but can only just barely dream of seeing the taillights of an equivalently-priced Camaro SS or Mustang GT.
Preach........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Char

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 18, 2016, 01:13:10 PM
I do not think the criticism on price is justified, personally. At ~40k these hot hatches (the Focus and Golf) seem like bargains for what you get.  The Golf R in particular seems like a bargain S3 with a better (re: more practical) body style.

The S3 isn't a great car either. It's a Golf with an Audi badge and an even shittier AWD system, there is almost zero reason to buy one over a Golf R.

Again, as many people pointed outx the Golf is just not a bargin at any price - it's performance is inferior to GT Mustang that is essentially fully loaded at that price, and it offers NOTHING.

Hatch back utility?

I've owned a 2 seater, a sedan and now a coupe, and I can count on 1 hand how many times the extra utility would have come in handy. Let's be real here, I'm not going to buy a school bus for the few situations I have to drive my friends around.

It just doesn't make a compelling case for itself, I can't see any real car guy buying this over a 2 series, or a Mustang/Camro.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Char

Then why do the Mustang and Camaro each outsell (let alone both together) all other performance cars at all price points put together?

Pony cars are not second cars - the vast majority of Americans cannot afford a $25k+ second/plaything car. Americans drive them as primary cars and get by just fine.

The STI, Golf R, Focus RS, etc., perform fine but can only just barely dream of seeing the taillights of an equivalently-priced Camaro SS or Mustang GT.

Why do you wven entertain Raza? The kid doesn't know a damn thing about cars, and is willing to praise anything with  VW badge on the merits of having a soft touch dash.

Heaven forbid people want to actually drive their cars.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

MX793

Quote from: Char on April 19, 2016, 05:02:38 AM
The S3 isn't a great car either. It's a Golf with an Audi badge and an even shittier AWD system, there is almost zero reason to buy one over a Golf R.

Again, as many people pointed outx the Golf is just not a bargin at any price - it's performance is inferior to GT Mustang that is essentially fully loaded at that price, and it offers NOTHING.

Hatch back utility?

I've owned a 2 seater, a sedan and now a coupe, and I can count on 1 hand how many times the extra utility would have come in handy. Let's be real here, I'm not going to buy a school bus for the few situations I have to drive my friends around.

It just doesn't make a compelling case for itself, I can't see any real car guy buying this over a 2 series, or a Mustang/Camro.

Not everybody is single and childless.  For people with kids, who need to drive their kids around daily, an easily accessible back seat is a must.  For people with multiple large dogs, or even one large dog, something with either a hatchback cargo area or easily accessible back seat is immensely useful.  The fact that some people are trying to argue that a pony car or similar sized (or smaller) premium coupe is as practical as a hot hatch is honestly laughable.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Because Mrrca. I feel for MX793 for having to associate with the Mustang breed. Most of them are..... to put it kindly.... special. So practical considerations don't come to mind for them.

And the Rustang is handily outselling the Camaro in their current iterations, despite the Camaro wiping the floor with it performance wise. Why? Pricing might be part of it, but I'd also bet it's the fact that the Rustang is an order of magnitude easier to live with, see out of, etc. etc.

Pony cars require a commitment most people are not willing to and don't really have to make. Is ~0.5s to 60 really worth having no trunk or back seat? Hell if you believed any of this stuff you wouldn't drive an Infiniti G. Coulda had a Z bro.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

I don't think there is a right answer that will "prove" anything one way or the other.

Is the Golf R and Focus RS the absolute top performers? No, they are a mix of performance and practicality. The are a niche product, but again I don't think the price asked for them is unreasonable.  ~300 HP, AWD, Manual or DSG, seats 4 comfortably and can also carry plenty of stuff in the hatch, to me that is a nice package at 40k. I am single with no kids and I have little interest in owning another coupe. When I had my GTI my biggest regret was getting the 2-door version instead of the four door version. Well that, plus I missed having AWD.  :lol:

I would also say you guys have to keep in mind the 40k versions of these cars are fully loaded models, not the bare-bones models (not that you can really get a "bare bones" version). From reading TCL every purchase thread on the Golf R seems to suggest that Volkswagen is easily selling every one they import at MSRP. I suspect Ford will be similarly successful with the Focus RS.

Raza

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps the sales are bolstered by parts of the country that don't have harsh winters.

I never said they wouldn't be outperformed by the Camaro SS and Mustang GT. All I said was that they were more well rounded--which they undoubtedly are.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Char on April 19, 2016, 05:08:51 AM
Why do you wven entertain Raza? The kid doesn't know a damn thing about cars, and is willing to praise anything with  VW badge on the merits of having a soft touch dash.

Lol.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on April 19, 2016, 05:08:51 AM

Whats it like to know that people here universally value Raza's opinions of cars over yours?

You are a special kind of masochist

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on April 19, 2016, 06:37:31 AM
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps the sales are bolstered by parts of the country that don't have harsh winters.

I saw a bazillion more percent down in Georgia....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Btw people buy cars which are inferior (in terms of practicality) for image and because dumb.

Minivans > 3row suv for most families, but you know how that goes.....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 19, 2016, 06:49:03 AM
Whats it like to know that people here universally value Raza's opinions of cars over yours?

You are a special kind of masochist

+1

Also LOL at kids calling Raza a kid....
Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 19, 2016, 07:14:57 AM
I saw a bazillion more percent down in Georgia....

It's not like they're a rare sight up here.  I'll see a dozen or more per day.  Most are V6s though, which I assume come on less aggressive rubber and are easier to deal with in the snow.  I know my Z4, on its summer tires, with its like 3" of ground clearance, is not a snow-ready vehicle.  I park it even in light snow.  But it's not like I don't have experience driving RWD in snow; my E320 was RWD, and I had that when I was a novice driver.

I guess I never really gave much thought to it.  But then again, driving my brother's S4 in the snow has spoiled me from ever wanting to deal with RWD in snow again.  AWD is so effortless. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on April 19, 2016, 07:29:50 AM
It's not like they're a rare sight up here.  I'll see a dozen or more per day.  Most are V6s though, which I assume come on less aggressive rubber and are easier to deal with in the snow.  I know my Z4, on its summer tires, with its like 3" of ground clearance, is not a snow-ready vehicle.  I park it even in light snow.  But it's not like I don't have experience driving RWD in snow; my E320 was RWD, and I had that when I was a novice driver.

I guess I never really gave much thought to it.  But then again, driving my brother's S4 in the snow has spoiled me from ever wanting to deal with RWD in snow again.  AWD is so effortless. 

It's night and day how many more are down south compared to upstate NY. Or I should say, Apples and Oranges. Subarus and Mustangs.
Literally.
Will

MX793

Summer tires are garbage in the snow.  With snow tires, you could get by in a Mustang or other RWD in most any well populated area that gets snow.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on April 19, 2016, 07:42:31 AM
Summer tires are garbage in the snow.  With snow tires, you could get by in a Mustang or other RWD in most any well populated area that gets snow.

Yeah, but that requires storage space and effort.  I guess living in a city and being lazy make it seem like too much of a hurdle for me.   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

A garage + good weather have changed my life. It's just a shame.... or maybe a blessing... that I have this all now that my interest in cars has sharply declined. 10 years ago I probably would have a project on jackstands in the garage. Now changing the radio out is a big deal

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 19, 2016, 08:31:43 AM
A garage + good weather have changed my life. It's just a shame.... or maybe a blessing... that I have this all now that my interest in cars has sharply declined. 10 years ago I probably would have a project on jackstands in the garage. Now changing the radio out is a big deal

:lol:

What do you end up doing??   Wait until kids come along- you lose time for Everything.
Will

2o6

Raza, have you driven a Camaro or Mustang in snow? They're heavy, and that goes a long way for snow traction. I've driven a few over the years, and I felt more confident in the snow with those than a few small FWD hatchbacks.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Char on April 19, 2016, 05:02:38 AM

Hatch back utility?

A Golf R or Focus RS would be perfect to take friends to skiing on a Saturday and then a track day on Sunday. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Cookie Monster on April 19, 2016, 10:08:02 AM
A Golf R or Focus RS would be perfect to take friends to skiing on a Saturday and then a track day on Sunday. :huh:
NO!!! :nono: True enthusiasts drive off lease BMWs.

CaminoRacer

I get by in an old ass El Camino on DWS all seasons and no traction control. Never once had a problem in the snow. If a modern car can't handle snow on decent tires, it should be sent to the crusher.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

I think a lot of cars come with shitty tires from the factory. I know mine did. Every car should come with DWSs stock.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on April 19, 2016, 09:49:24 AM
Raza, have you driven a Camaro or Mustang in snow? They're heavy, and that goes a long way for snow traction. I've driven a few over the years, and I felt more confident in the snow with those than a few small FWD hatchbacks.

No, I haven't. But I've seen plenty on the side of the roads when my Jetta kept going. Didn't take the time to inspect their tires though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 19, 2016, 11:13:42 AM
I get by in an old ass El Camino on DWS all seasons and no traction control. Never once had a problem in the snow. If a modern car can't handle snow on decent tires, it should be sent to the crusher.

For me, it's not about "can handle". It's "why deal with the hassle?" I've done RWD, FWD, and AWD in the snow, and while I've always made it to my destination, there's a level of effort that is required to do so that changes depending on drivetrain (and, of course, tires). As it stands, when I go to look for a second car, I'm not even considering RWD; I've already got a sports car. I want to lower the amount of effort it needs to get around in shit weather for my "daily" driver.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

I avoided driving my last one in the snow (and have the same intentions for my current one) more in the interest of avoiding salt than concern over it getting stuck.  That said, I did end up driving in some light, late or early season snowfalls a couple of times.  With the stock A/S tires, it was perfectly fine in the few tenths of an inch on the ground that I had to drive through.  I had to drive it in similar conditions once after I'd installed hi-po summer tires and it was awful.  Simply letting out the clutch without applying the throttle would spin the wheels.  Took like 45 seconds to get to 30 mph and what felt like 50 yards to stop from that speed.  I don't think I got above 30 mph on 40-50 mph roads.  Needless to say, I irritated a lot of morning commuters that day.  After that, I wouldn't drive it on those tires if there was even a chance for snow.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Is there really that huge of a difference between hi po A/S and summer tires?

MrH

Oh dear god yes.  Night and day.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 19, 2016, 12:36:55 PM
Is there really that huge of a difference between hi po A/S and summer tires?

Yes.  Read any of the numerous comparos of winter, A/S, and summer only tires in snow.  And I was only driving in maybe half an inch of snow and the tires still had 7-8/32 of tread on them.  Compound and limited siping just had no traction.
Needs more Jiggawatts