Catman: Help Desparately Needed!

Started by J86, December 22, 2005, 12:14:28 AM

TurboDan

Eek.  How the hell did I miss this thread?

My comments:

1)  Miranda is not necesarilyl a legal requirement, as referenced in a recent Supreme Court decision.

2)  "Super Troopers" came to mind immediately when I saw the quote "we take this sort of thing very seriously around here."

3)  The 21-age drinking law never stopped anyone from obtaining or drinking alcohol.  All it's done is make alcohol this taboo that only makes "underage" drinking more prevalent.  Most of the people I knew in college drank more often before they were 21 than after their 21st birthday.  

4)  I was never one for the drunken driving, but I definitely transported alcohol in my car before I was 21.  I doubt NYPD would've cared too much about that kind of thing though.  Staties tend to have a higher ratio of "hard asses" in the ranks, it seems.  

5)  Who knew Live Free or Die is, itself, quite dead.  :hammerhead:

6)  Dazzleman, as usual, is right on the money.  Stella would definitely have been a better choice.  

7)  My cousin went to Keene State Univ.  Lots of fun times up there, especially around Halloween.  

So, that was my attempt to comment on almost every point so far in the thread.  Now, I shall join in as if I've been here from the beginning.  :rockon:  

dazzleman

6)  Dazzleman, as usual, is right on the money.  Stella would definitely have been a better choice.  

Thanks, man.  Seriously, getting arrested for Bud Lite is kind of like getting taken to the cleaners by an ugly chick who's bad in bed.  Only a beautiful woman who's amazing in bed ought to be able to do that to you.  :lol:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

QuoteIf you're not obviously drunk, just say no, right?  Then they don't have probable cause.  A buddy of mine (legal) had an open container in the car, he was drunk, his wife was drunk, and they were at a sobriety checkpoint.  He threw the open container out the window, put his game face on, said no, and went on home without incident.
Drinking from an open container in MA is a civil offense and carries a $500 fine.
How do you drink from a closed container?
I was confused about that, too.  :blink:  

Raza

6)  Dazzleman, as usual, is right on the money.  Stella would definitely have been a better choice. 

Thanks, man.  Seriously, getting arrested for Bud Lite is kind of like getting taken to the cleaners by an ugly chick who's bad in bed.  Only a beautiful woman who's amazing in bed ought to be able to do that to you.  :lol:
Hmm...

Bass Ale, baby.

Stella's great, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

Quote2)  "Super Troopers" came to mind immediately when I saw the quote "we take this sort of thing very seriously around here."
Lol, I pictured this guy :D :

TurboDan

Beer in the trunk?  Oh, you're in a heap o' trouble boy.

Speed_Racer

Quote7)  My cousin went to Keene State Univ.  Lots of fun times up there, especially around Halloween.
Halloween is definitely fun in Keene. My girlfriend went there, and I have a bunch of friends from HS going there. It's definitely quite the party school judging from what I've seen/heard.

J86

Don't have much of anything new at this point...I'm basically waiting until Feb. 7 rolls around.  I've been mulling over some possibilites as to lawyers, but they seem to want about a grand, and that is alot of dough!  My sole interest is having this not be a criminal  conviction, I would hate to have to check the "yes" box on job applications in future years.  Particularly because I want to go to law school... :D  With this in mind, I do have a couple more questions.  

Alot of responses in this thread have leaned towards a dismissal of chargers.  I think this might be unlikely, as I've found some anecdotal evidence to the contrary.  The other night I was watching football at a buddies and some other kids who I had not met showed up.  Two of them had been busted in NH in roughly similar situations (kids under 21 near alcohol).  One has his case pending, the other had charges filed, but they would be dropped from his record after a year provided he did not screw up within that time frame.  I cannot remember what he was charged with, but it was not a criminal offense like what I have, it was solely a misdemeanor.  This makes me think that the judge will not be inclined to drop charges.  Assuming he does not, what do I do?  How do I stand there and try to weasel my way into something less severe?  I can't imagine it'd be like my ticket, where I talked to the guy who issued it to me, struck a deal, and walked out before the judge even showed up.  Do I meet with a prosecuter beforehand?  I would most like to figure out how to get this not on my permanent record.  Thanks...

BTW- any snow up there?  I skiied Tuesday but it rained and cover got real thin and icy, and fresh flakes make it soft again?  

J86

For all y'all bitchin' 'bout the brew... Ya think a bunch of college kids are gonna buy nice beers for a little 'ruit, flipcup, and asshole?!  

Tom

Just yanking your chain.  As guys, we would be remiss in our duties not making fun of you drinking lite beer :D

Just kidding of course, it's not like I can afford anything good.

Raza

QuoteFor all y'all bitchin' 'bout the brew... Ya think a bunch of college kids are gonna buy nice beers for a little 'ruit, flipcup, and asshole?!
QuoteFor all y'all bitchin' 'bout the brew... Ya think a bunch of college kids are gonna buy nice beers for a little 'ruit, flipcup, and asshole?!
Ah, Beirut.  Also known as Beer Pong.  

I usually play Asshole with bourbon though.

I've got a high tolerance.  I'm Irish.

;)  :P  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

To be honest, I'd be surprised if you got any more than a slap on the wrist.  At the most you'll get a "continued without a finding", meaning you'll need to stay out of trouble for a couple months or something.  You weren't even in control of the car so I can't see this being a big issue.  The arrest was a weak one.  A public defender is all you need.

*Disclaimer* I'm always wrong :P

Rupert

Hey now, I'm a college guy, and I bring good beer.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

J86

Congrats, beer snobs. :D  Cat: OK, but I must admit I'm not 100% sold! How do I go about getting a public defender?  Just google it I suppose...

Raza: It's Beirut.  TRUE Beer Pong is a game involving paddles.  I have this argument with sooooo many people at school!  I think every region has their own little terminology...

Psilos: Ya play 10+ games with a dark heavy beer?  That's more than my frame would be able to handle... :D  

Rupert

No, just good beer. There are plenty of beers that taste very good that I can drink a lot of. Besides, with better beer, you'll need to play fewer games. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

jadewolf123

For any kind of alcohol tomfoolery I think the brew of choice is Miller Light. For just drinking its Sam Adams and for a quality meal beer it has to be something like Hacker Pschorr(sp?).
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Rupert

Eh? Sounds like mediocre German beer to me... (As opposed to good German beer ;) ).

dazzleman

QuoteCongrats, beer snobs. :D  Cat: OK, but I must admit I'm not 100% sold! How do I go about getting a public defender?  Just google it I suppose...

Raza: It's Beirut.  TRUE Beer Pong is a game involving paddles.  I have this argument with sooooo many people at school!  I think every region has their own little terminology...

Psilos: Ya play 10+ games with a dark heavy beer?  That's more than my frame would be able to handle... :D
J86, I think you'd need to speak with an officer of the court about getting a public defender, and you'd need to have it arranged before your court date.

I don't know the laws in New Hampshire, but in Connecticut, public defenders are not provided for charges that don't carry the possibility of a jail sentence, so I would not be surprised if there were not a public defender available for your case.

Even if you don't get a lawyer, you should bring some responsible adult with you, like your dad.  That always makes a better impression on the judge.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

Well, court in less than a week!  I'm not getting any professional help (hehe), one of my buddies is but I'm not throwing down that kind of dough.  The lawyer he retained spoke to the cop, the cop said we were "basically good kids" (I gotta hold THAT one over the 'rents!) and would recommend that the charges be filed.  So if we stay out fo trouble for  a year it allllll goes away...  I don't see why this wouldn't shake out for all of us (well, at least us two passengers), so I'll just show up Tuesday clean-shaven w/ a collar!

J86

Oh, I'm bringin' my skis and if court doesn't take too long I'm headed to Sunnapee afterwards! :D  Hope they get some snow...

850CSi

QuoteOh, I'm bringin' my skis and if court doesn't take too long I'm headed to Sunnapee afterwards! :D  Hope they get some snow...
The thing I am missing most besides playing football is Skiing.

JYODER240

QuoteOh, I'm bringin' my skis and if court doesn't take too long I'm headed to Sunnapee afterwards! :D  Hope they get some snow...
I miss playing H.S. Golf a lot, those were some of the best times of my life :(  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

dazzleman

QuoteWell, court in less than a week!  I'm not getting any professional help (hehe), one of my buddies is but I'm not throwing down that kind of dough.  The lawyer he retained spoke to the cop, the cop said we were "basically good kids" (I gotta hold THAT one over the 'rents!) and would recommend that the charges be filed.  So if we stay out fo trouble for  a year it allllll goes away...  I don't see why this wouldn't shake out for all of us (well, at least us two passengers), so I'll just show up Tuesday clean-shaven w/ a collar!
Good idea, man.  Dress well, but don't overdress.  You're not on trial for murder, so you don't need a suit.  But wear a nice pair of dress pants, a shirt with a collar, and as you said, make sure you're clean-shaven or, if you have facial hair, that it's trimmed neatly.  Dressing and grooming well send a message that you respect the court and take your appearance there seriously.  That makes a difference in how you are treated.

Good luck, man.  Don't do what those kids in Illinois did.  [In case you didn't hear, there was a group of guys who got busted for drinking at their prom.  The judge went easy on them, and in return, they put up a website where they said "F&$K [judge's name] and had pictures of themselves really drunk mooning the judge and making obscene gestures to him.  A caption over one said "Night after prom."  The judge saw the website and called them back in and gave them some jail time.  :lol: ]

Let us know how it turns out.  Hopefully, court will be just a bump in the road that day, and you'll get out early and get in some good skiing and, of course, drinking, that day.  :rockon:  

Catman

Where one of these.

The courts love them.

J86

QuoteWhere one of these.

The courts love them.
:lol:  

J86

QuoteOh, I'm bringin' my skis and if court doesn't take too long I'm headed to Sunnapee afterwards! :D  Hope they get some snow...
ever ski either west or east?  Can't imagine there's much in the middle of the country...

hounddog

QuoteOh, I'm bringin' my skis and if court doesn't take too long I'm headed to Sunnapee afterwards! :D? Hope they get some snow...
ever ski either west or east?  Can't imagine there's much in the middle of the country...
Sure there is, you just don't go very fast or very far.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Raza

I believe they also call it sitting.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hounddog

QuoteOh, I'm bringin' my skis and if court doesn't take too long I'm headed to Sunnapee afterwards! :D? Hope they get some snow...
I believe they also call it sitting.
Nice! :lol:  
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.