Chevrolet Malibu - 2o6 Review

Started by 2o6, May 12, 2016, 08:05:32 PM

2o6

Sonic is in the shop, so I have a new loaner. I didn't want to chance a "Cruze Limited" (last gen's car) as a loaner, so I took the Malibu they offered me.

I don't have much of a base line for this type of car, since I generally don't care about midsized cars since they're all kinda big. However, I have driven the past FOUR generations extensively, and the car is leaps and bounds better than what we got in 1997.

+ There's a real competitive back seat this time around. The old car had an unnaturally tight rear seat.
+ The 1.5T gets good real world economy, while still being both workable on the freeway and around town. Good low-end torque, but it runs out of steam by like 5300RPM.
+ The handling is pretty good. The steering and ride are def firmer than the old 2012-2015 car.
+ Apple Car play + GM MYlink works well

- Less compliant ride. The old car had a really gushy and soft ride. This car is notably worse, despite having more wheelbase.
- Interior not as nice, IMO. It fits better, but it's all hard plastics. but then again, Honda puts hard plastics everywhere and has been doing it for years, with no real backlash.
- The old car did feel more "rich", but this car makes more room for the Buick variants of this platform.

280Z Turbo

I think it looks pretty good. I'd recommend it to a sedan buyer.

giant_mtb

The vents are weird and make the whole dash look derrrrrp.  Other than that, I've been waiting for someone with one of these newer Malibus or Impalas to call me and let me detail it.  I'm curious to drive/touch them everywhere.

CaminoRacer

We had a 2014 or 2015 rental back in December and I quite liked it. Since my brother works for GM I'd almost recommend it to my mom as her next car, but I'm not sure if she'd be happy with the overall size of the car. It seems quite a bit bigger than her current Mazda6.
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

68_427

My local dealer is already advertising these for like $135/mo
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Would it have been so difficult for GM to address the old car's flaws (style, interior space, fuel economy) without getting rid of the good things about it??

12,000 RPM

I'm still not crazy about the C pillar... just a lil off... but it looks like a solid effort
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

You know what would benefit Chevy the most?  Getting rid of that bow tie emblem.  The gold looks so out of date.  I instinctively cringe when I see it because it reminds me of so many shitty cars.

They have the option now on Silverados and Camaros to get it in black instead.  It looks so much better.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on May 13, 2016, 07:00:21 AM
You know what would benefit Chevy the most?  Getting rid of that bow tie emblem.  The gold looks so out of date.  I instinctively cringe when I see it because it reminds me of so many shitty cars.

They have the option now on Silverados and Camaros to get it in black instead.  It looks so much better.

I hate how it looks in black.

12,000 RPM

They should give every model its own emblem like the Corvette. Remember those cool emblems they made for each Toyota back in the day?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2016, 07:44:51 AM

I hate how it looks in black.

You like the gold better?  It's the worst.

Maybe they just need to scrap the whole thing and start fresh :lol:  Or even a chrome bow tie outline badge would be better.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Quote from: MrH on May 13, 2016, 07:49:10 AM
Or even a chrome bow tie outline badge would be better.

This, but it'd be nice if they let the customer choose which finish.  Outline in black, chrome, or brushed aluminum....
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Yeah.  I'm not a big fan of chrome emblems to begin with, but it's worlds better than gold.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 13, 2016, 07:46:39 AM
They should give every model its own emblem like the Corvette. Remember those cool emblems they made for each Toyota back in the day?

MrH

:lol:  Totally forgot about that.  That looks like garbage too.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

I think all the fuss over a logo that's been around for 100+ years is dumb. Changing it now would be stupid - I mean look how stupid the wreath-less Cadillac badge looks.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on May 13, 2016, 06:34:29 AM
Would it have been so difficult for GM to address the old car's flaws (style, interior space, fuel economy) without getting rid of the good things about it??

Eh, the good things we both liked went largely ignored. The good ride, and richer materials no one seemed to give a fuck about, so why keep them? Besides, you'll probably be able to get something nicer in Regal II.

MX793

Baby steps.  Chevy has finally backed off of chrome/polished wheels which haven't been in style since 2005.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on May 13, 2016, 08:26:35 AM
Baby steps.  Chevy has finally backed off of chrome/polished wheels which haven't been in style since 2005.

Their clientele LOVED that shit. When the 2012+ Malibu came out, no dealer would trade for the old model. People still loved the old model because it had "more chrome" despite it being a worse car.

MrH

Quote from: MX793 on May 13, 2016, 08:26:35 AM

You say that, but I drive up 75 north from work every day.  I regularly see big rigs carrying Corvettes from the Bowling Green plant.  No joke, every single one of them except for one, had hideous obnoxious chrome wheels.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

I like the chrome brightwork on my Sonic LTZ.  :huh:

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2016, 08:24:45 AM

Eh, the good things we both liked went largely ignored. The good ride, and richer materials no one seemed to give a fuck about, so why keep them? Besides, you'll probably be able to get something nicer in Regal II.

I didn't think the materials were all that great before, honestly. But who doesn't like a smooth, quiet ride?

Also, when something is good and then takes a step back, previous customers will notice that it's gone. And there are way fewer customers who'll just say "well, if I can't get something good on one GM car, I'll pay more to have it on another GM car" than there used to be.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on May 13, 2016, 08:55:35 AM
I didn't think the materials were all that great before, honestly. But who doesn't like a smooth, quiet ride?

Also, when something is good and then takes a step back, previous customers will notice that it's gone. And there are way fewer customers who'll just say "well, if I can't get something good on one GM car, I'll pay more to have it on another GM car" than there used to be.

I mean, it's still markedly quieter than anything Honda makes, and although the ride is less compliant, it's not bad. It's just firmer. And that's probably a penalty because the car lost a substantial amount of weight. I mean, my Sonic rides like a car two class sizes bigger, but I think it's literally the heaviest car in it's class.

Also, I think the poor interior space of the old car was the Malibu's fatal flaw. I mean, why have a midsized car with the same interior space as the Subcompact and Minicar you sell at the same dealer?

MX793

Quote from: MrH on May 13, 2016, 08:45:19 AM
You say that, but I drive up 75 north from work every day.  I regularly see big rigs carrying Corvettes from the Bowling Green plant.  No joke, every single one of them except for one, had hideous obnoxious chrome wheels.

I expect half of the buyers of those also have a newer Buick, Caddy, or Impala with a felt or vinyl roof covering.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on May 13, 2016, 09:00:14 AM

I mean, it's still markedly quieter than anything Honda makes, and although the ride is less compliant, it's not bad. It's just firmer. And that's probably a penalty because the car lost a substantial amount of weight. I mean, my Sonic rides like a car two class sizes bigger, but I think it's literally the heaviest car in it's class.

Also, I think the poor interior space of the old car was the Malibu's fatal flaw. I mean, why have a midsized car with the same interior space as the Subcompact and Minicar you sell at the same dealer?

It not only had poor rear seat space, but it was also surprisingly expensive, as many GM products tend to be these days. Even after factoring in the expected incentives. And it was awkward to look at, unlike the previous Malibu, which also wasn't all that roomy.

I guess I'll need to drive it to check out the ride quality for myself.

TBR

Oddly, I had one as a rental this week as well.

I thought it was a quite nice car. Agree the interior looks weird, but it does look high quality to me, even if the materials are not actually soft / plush. It just fits together nicely.

I didn't have any problems with the ride personally. I thought it was very well controlled and absorbed bumps nicely. Definitely a better driving model than the prev car, although steering is quite blah. Also thought it had good pep, although I did not get good gas mileage at all (~23 mpg).

One complaint- the wheels looked very small to me.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on May 13, 2016, 09:37:37 AM
Oddly, I had one as a rental this week as well.

I thought it was a quite nice car. Agree the interior looks weird, but it does look high quality to me, even if the materials are not actually soft / plush. It just fits together nicely.

I didn't have any problems with the ride personally. I thought it was very well controlled and absorbed bumps nicely. Definitely a better driving model than the prev car, although steering is quite blah. Also thought it had good pep, although I did not get good gas mileage at all (~23 mpg).

One complaint- the wheels looked very small to me.

23??

I'm getting about 28MPG.

veeman

My Dad has a last gen Malibu (8th generation) and the previous two cars he had were Malibus as well (both of them the generation before that or 7th generation).  I've driven them.  All of them base models.  I liked the interior styling of the car.  I thought the 7th generation was better looking than the 8th too like ifcar also said.  The 8th has this annoying feature to save gas where it turns off the engine at a stoplight.  It's seamless but I never get used to it.  This new generation seems like they've just shrunken an Impala which I've heard is a great car.  I wish Chevy did something more unique with the Malibu styling.

Oh, and by the way, I loved my big shiny chrome wheels on my Enclave.  Enclaves without those wheels looked plebeian next to it.

93JC

The black bowtie emblem is an option? No wonder I've been seeing more of them. I thought it was just the new in-vogue aftermarket accessory for turbodouches' jacked-up Silverados.

The black is fucking hideous in my opinion. I could see them just going chrome, or maybe back to blue.

CaminoRacer

My El Camino has a blue emblem which is pretty nice.

Quote from: MrH on May 13, 2016, 07:49:10 AM

Or even a chrome bow tie outline badge would be better.

FLOWTIE
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance