Traffic jams

Started by AutobahnSHO, May 16, 2016, 08:30:29 AM

AutobahnSHO

Will

93JC

Experiment demonstrating how one nervous twat who slows down for no good reason will have long-reaching repercussions on the rest of traffic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wm-pZp_mi0

AutobahnSHO

Will

Morris Minor

I'm convinced you could prevent a lot of jams in Atlanta through the hard enforcement of 45mph pacing on its freeways.

Also getting people to move off uniformly at green lights on surface streets... but that requires automation.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 16, 2016, 06:18:07 PM
I'm convinced you could prevent a lot of jams in Atlanta through the hard enforcement of 45mph pacing on its freeways.

Maybe during rush hour(s). Wyoming has 'dynamic' speed limits- changing based on weather. Cities should have limits based on traffic/ accidents...

Also getting people to move off uniformly at green lights on surface streets... but that requires automation.

I'm reluctant to use the horn but beeped at someone sitting a full 4-5sec at a greenlight today. :facepalm:  People can't live without their phone for 30sec. :(
Will

giant_mtb

One trick I like to use in traffic is to find the overall speed of the crowd, get some distance between you and those in front of me (5-10 cars' worth depending on the speed) and stay there or even just slightly below. If you leave enough room in front of you, idiots can just move in and out in front of you while you cruise along touching nothing but the steering wheel, occasionally tap the brakes to reset yourself.  I've noticed this is what a lot of truckers do as well.  Makes traffic much more relaxing. People think youre weird for not riding everyone's ass, but whatever.

This was an especially nice technique when I had a manual.

Byteme

Quote from: 93JC on May 16, 2016, 01:21:07 PM
Experiment demonstrating how one nervous twat who slows down for no good reason will have long-reaching repercussions on the rest of traffic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wm-pZp_mi0

I've read that often times on a crowded freeway a single brake light without reducing speed is enough to mess things up.  It causes those behind to slow down in anticipation.

As stupid and careless as many drivers are I'm surprised there isn't more carnage than there is on the roads.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 16, 2016, 09:24:40 PM
One trick I like to use in traffic is to find the overall speed of the crowd, get some distance between you and those in front of me (5-10 cars' worth depending on the speed) and stay there or even just slightly below. If you leave enough room in front of you, idiots can just move in and out in front of you while you cruise along touching nothing but the steering wheel, occasionally tap the brakes to reset yourself.  I've noticed this is what a lot of truckers do as well.  Makes traffic much more relaxing. People think youre weird for not riding everyone's ass, but whatever.

+1
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

In stop and go traffic I never creep.  I only move my car when there's at least a full car length of space infront of me and I get honked at like crazy but fuck y'all.  I also set my idle speed a couple hundred RPM high so my car will idle along in gear  :thumbsup:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

Quote from: CLKid on May 16, 2016, 09:28:15 PM
I've read that often times on a crowded freeway a single brake light without reducing speed is enough to mess things up.  It causes those behind to slow down in anticipation.

As stupid and careless as many drivers are I'm surprised there isn't more carnage than there is on the roads.
Maybe we should reduce the sensitivity of brake light switches, i.e. the would not come on at the slightest touch of the pedal.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 16, 2016, 09:24:40 PM

Nah, I like to cut through the slow-moving crowds. I generally do 10mph over on long interstate drives.
Will

Xer0

Quote from: CLKid on May 16, 2016, 09:28:15 PM

I hate that.  I've learned that often times engine braking is more than enough to slow you down while you're in the flow of traffic because most braking is done by the idiots that speed up to get on someone's ass then brake to not hit them then repeat the process over and over again.  I just leave a couple car lengths in front and I'm good.