FBC's Kit Car Build Thread.

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, May 25, 2016, 03:20:24 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

That's a pretty cool kit, they should have focused on some better donors though. Nothing about a GM 4 cylinder is exciting. I'm sure there's power to be had, but it will have the worst NVH of anything out there.

Payman

2.2 EcoTechs are almost as cheap as lawnmower engines, are cheap and easy to mod, and who really cares about NVH in this application (not that it's really bad anyway). The modular engine/tranny/subframe/suspension all-in-one install design of this kit is pretty slick.

FlatBlackCaddy

The last thing I'd want in a light weight race inspired kit would be a motor that doesn't want to rev or sounds like I'm crushing ice cubes in a blender beyond 4K. Otherwise, it's a fantastic kit. Really don't know why they picked the eco, I'm sure base civic's or base RSX's are just as cheap and easy to come by, with a vastly(VASTLY) better motor and transmission.

FlatBlackCaddy

So the order is placed, and I went with the exo.

I've either warmed up to it, or somehow starting looking at it(subconciously) through a different light.

Some of the benefits are that it's cheaper, and will require less work(supposedly), another benefit is that the cockpit is roomier than a miata, whereas the lotus kits are equal to or in some cases less spacious that a miata. Greater mazda componentry is also a nice plus.

I ordered a sport kit, with some options(steel floors, wiring tray, windshield, wing mount, fenders). Kit is under 9K, with my 500 donor and i'd guess similar shipping cost, it looks like I've got the basics for just under or right at 10K. I could have a running driving car for that, but I'll want to upgrade some things(turbo) and replace some of the stock parts(wheels, shocks, seats). I think 15k is real reasonable, and for that I should have a 350HP 1400lb car, hopefully by next summer.

I'll post some pictures of the donor disassembly, and of course when I get the kit. Sounds like it will be about 4-6 weeks out.

12,000 RPM

:ohyeah:

Right choice IMO. Driving a pretty car is overrated, especially when you've got over 400HP/ton and less than a ton body weight with the driver. When you get bored with this hit me up :wub:

Someone should make one of these kits with a wide array of engine mounts.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

You can fit LS motors in these too.  The problem is, you're basically doing twice the sourcing work.  You still need a miata for a ton of things, then need to source a new engine, transmission, diff, half shafts, etc.

I'd be happy with a turbo miata example.  Also, I already called dibs on this thing when he's bored with it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on August 25, 2016, 12:59:31 PM
You can fit LS motors in these too.  The problem is, you're basically doing twice the sourcing work.  You still need a miata for a ton of things, then need to source a new engine, transmission, diff, half shafts, etc.

I'd be happy with a turbo miata example.  Also, I already called dibs on this thing when he's bored with it.

Ya, I think a V8 in this would be a waste of time, because it would add on atleast 10K to the build cost. Plus, with a nice turbo kit, like FM's you end up with:

"but with an FM II turbo system, the car has a power to weight ratio that matches a Ferrari Enzo"

So I could have that, or I could spend another 10 to 12K, do twice the work for an unequal increase in performance.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rockraven on August 25, 2016, 10:03:29 AM
2.2 EcoTechs are almost as cheap as lawnmower engines, are cheap and easy to mod, and who really cares about NVH in this application (not that it's really bad anyway). The modular engine/tranny/subframe/suspension all-in-one install design of this kit is pretty slick.

Do it!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Well that's awesome news.  :clap:

I'm glad you're sticking with the Miata powertrain. Cramming a V8 into it is missing the point of these cars, IMHO. There's FFR Cobras and such for that.

Payman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 25, 2016, 11:17:42 AM
The last thing I'd want in a light weight race inspired kit would be a motor that doesn't want to rev or sounds like I'm crushing ice cubes in a blender beyond 4K. Otherwise, it's a fantastic kit. Really don't know why they picked the eco, I'm sure base civic's or base RSX's are just as cheap and easy to come by, with a vastly(VASTLY) better motor and transmission.

Because the Eco is a fantastic tuning base with a massive following. Also, donors are dirt cheap. A similar year Civic donor (say a 2006) might still cost $5-6000 while a Cobalt/G5/Ion donor could be had for $500-2000. Imagine finding a Cobalt SS donor with the 265 hp 2.0T.  :dance:

FlatBlackCaddy

looking on local CL i see a base rsx stick for 2500 bucks, and a type S for 4000. Running driving titled cars. I'm sure wrecked donors would be 1K to 2K.

Would be much more interested in that kit if it used something honda based.

mzziaz

Exo was the best choice, imo. Looking forward to following the build
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

Yeah the Honda R-series motors don't win any prizes for being particularly mod-friendly.

FlatBlackCaddy

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Updates?

I just saw FBC's comments about how he'd like to own an S2000 at some point, but not for the prices they're going for on there.  Sounds like you need to hurry up with this build and trade it to me for my S2000 :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on September 15, 2016, 09:07:47 AM
Updates?

I just saw FBC's comments about how he'd like to own an S2000 at some point, but not for the prices they're going for on there.  Sounds like you need to hurry up with this build and trade it to me for my S2000 :lol:

and where did you see that comment?

MrH

Bring a Trailer.  I watch S2000 values on there like a hawk.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

FlatBlackCaddy

Keith just emailed me a few days ago to see what color panels I wanted, he said that if I went with black it should be ready to ship next week. Since I'm painting it, I just said to go with the black.

So hopefully I'll be seeing it next week.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on September 15, 2016, 09:28:39 AM
Bring a Trailer.  I watch S2000 values on there like a hawk.

How do you know that's me and not some other guy with the screen name FlatBlackCaddy that also has amazing automotive taste?

FlatBlackCaddy

Also, oddly enough, it seems I may be blacklisted at BaT. None of my comments no longer show up, I've tried it in multiple postings and even cleared cookies.

Guess someone got their panties lodged up their butt.

MrH

Terrible jokes are too similar.  Though I will say, I don't get the flatblackcaddy name when you own a whole garage of 90s Japanese sports cars.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on September 15, 2016, 09:31:26 AM
Terrible jokes are too similar.  Though I will say, I don't get the flatblackcaddy name when you own a whole garage of 90s Japanese sports cars.

:devil:

FlatBlackCaddy

FlatBlackCaddy was the name of a troll account from back in the "legendary" C&D days. It stuck, and I now use it on car forums that I'm on.

It was a completely randomly selected name.

AutobahnSHO

I peruse the SHOforum for cars every now and again......... :mrcool:
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Payman

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rockraven on September 28, 2016, 12:49:04 PM
No... tell US about it. Is it delayed?

I emailed keith, got an automated response that he will be out of the office/internet range until early october. So I don't know what's going on, just waiting(patiently) for an update. It's not a huge deal, I've got so much work to do it doesn't really affect my time table.