Tesla crash

Started by AutobahnSHO, May 27, 2016, 09:29:01 PM

CaminoRacer

She was definitely not going 40 mph when she hit the other car. I'd guess 10.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 28, 2016, 06:23:50 AM
She was definitely not going 40 mph when she hit the other car. I'd guess 10.

Car in front of her may not have been completely stopped at the time of collision.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Oh, look, user error.  That's what happens when rich people are allowed to be idiots as well. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 28, 2016, 10:56:12 AM
Oh, look, user error.  That's what happens when rich people are allowed to be idiots as well. 

+1
Will

Byteme

From the article:

Tesla says that according to the car's data logs, Simpson manually applied the brakes at some point, which deactivated both the Autopilot cruise control and, oddly enough, the car's automatic emergency braking system.

I'd assume just a slight tap on the brakes, like deactivates the average cruise control, would be enough.  Seems odd to me as well that would also deactivate the automatic emergency braking system.

This highlights one of my main concerns about semi autonomous or fully autonomous cars.  To fully take control in the event of system failure or other emergency the driver would need to be alert to road and traffic conditions and positioned with their feet and hands on or near the controls.  In reality I can't see people doing that.  Many people will be ding everything from reading, eating, texting, joining the mile-a-minute-club

Galaxy

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 27, 2016, 09:29:01 PM

Dummies need to learn to drive.

To be fair the vibe one gets from Tesla, and more so from Musk himself is that the thing can drive itself.

AutobahnSHO

yeah, that's the allure- "I don't have to drive" yet that's not what the system can do (or is designed to do) yet.

There needs to be an obvious indicator that the car is in control, or not in control- like "I Robot" where the manual controls are recessed or pop out.
Will

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Pretty much the same as with Toyota a few years ago - the MSM brings out the morons and crooks looking to exploit a non truth.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on June 06, 2016, 07:48:49 PM
Pretty much the same as with Toyota a few years ago - the MSM brings out the morons and crooks looking to exploit a non truth.

Only in this case, Tesla has extremely detailed black-box information to very clearly prove what was happening.

AutobahnSHO

Wow the loonies are looney. (comments section on that last article)
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on June 07, 2016, 05:46:22 AM
Only in this case, Tesla has extremely detailed black-box information to very clearly prove what was happening.

Toyota also had immediate info that proved the same for its cases (cars have had "black boxes" for quite some time), backed up by mountains of testing and of course all put to rest with the NHTSA/NASA report.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 06, 2016, 07:38:18 PM
More user error!

http://electrek.co/2016/06/06/tesla-model-x-crash-not-at-fault/

Sounds like a simple case of mistaking the accelerator for the brake.  I dunno why people won't just admit that they fucked up.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 09, 2016, 12:49:15 PM
Sounds like a simple case of mistaking the accelerator for the brake.  I dunno why people won't just admit that they fucked up.

They should install an "emergency pedal" which disengages the engine from the transition. Also an "emergency shift function" which limits the speed of the car in each selection.... Then people won't be randomly crashing their cars or dying while on the phone with 911....

---------------------------------
Notice that this crazy phenomenon is not experienced in places where the law pushes more accountability on individuals for their actions.
Will

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 09, 2016, 12:49:15 PM

Because, on a balance of probabilities, a lot of Toyota owners made the same mistake and they got money out of it. They probably genuinely believe they did not mistake the accelerator for the brake pedal.

It'll be interesting to see what happens as Tesla grows, if Tesla keeps growing. These sorts of issues are going to become more commonplace, and if the Model 3 ever becomes a success they're really going to have to change their tune lest their customer service be branded 'hostile'.

AutobahnSHO

Well, by initially nipping that problem in the bud, won't have to deal with as many in the future.
Will

93JC

Ooooh no they won't. You watch, I guarantee it'll get worse. People don't like being told they're wrong.

From "The Engineer's Lament" by Malcolm Gladwell:

QuoteIn the wake of the sticky-pedal problem, customers started complaining that Toyotas were prone to sudden, unintended acceleration. “Whenever someone called in to say, ‘I’ve had an episode of unintended acceleration,’ Toyota would dispatch a team of engineers,” said Roger Martin, a former dean of the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management and a member of the advisory panel that Toyota put together during the crisis. “And they would do a thorough examination of the car and pronounce it fine—because it always was—and assure the owner that everything was going to be fine. They were probably just pressing the accelerator when they thought they were pressing the brake. There wasn’t a problem. Just be more careful next time. And they got more and more complaints.”

The engineers were right. A series of exhaustive investigations by federal regulators, with help from nasa engineers, established that the perception of an electronic failure was almost certainly illusory. The problem was caused either by the fact that some people put in poorly fitted, nonstandard floor mats or by the fact that drivers were pressing the accelerator thinking that it was the brake. (Pedal error, as it is known, is a well-documented source of vehicle malfunction, affecting drivers of many makes and models.) Cars are engineered to be tolerant of pedal error: the driver who depresses the accelerator, thinking it’s the brake, still has the option of simply putting the car in neutral or turning it off. (That’s one of the reasons that cars have gearshifts and ignition switches.) But in the public mind a car that accelerated unexpectedly was broken. The teams of engineers that Toyota sent out didn’t make the problem better. They made it worse.

“The Toyota guy explained this to the panel,” Martin went on. “He said, ‘Here’s our process.’ So I said to him, ‘What do you imagine the people are thinking? They’re shaking like a leaf at the side of the road and after that whole experience they are told, “The car’s fine. Chill out. Don’t make mistakes anymore.” Of course they are not going to be happy. These people are scared. What if instead you sent people out who could be genuinely empathetic? What if you said, “We’re sorry this happened. What we’re worried about is your comfort and your confidence and your safety. We’re going to check your car. If you’re just scared of this car, we’ll take it back and give you another, because your feeling of confidence matters more than anything else.” ’ It was a sort of revelation. He wasn’t a dumb guy. He was an engineer. He only thought about doing things from an engineer’s standpoint.

Being overly aggressive in their denials will make Tesla look like a dickhead company that will fuck over its customers to maintain a reputation, even if they're absolutely 100% correct.

Raza

User error was buying the big Power Wheels in the first place.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.