Guess Its Time For New Wheels

Started by SJ_GTI, June 25, 2016, 09:08:24 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on July 06, 2016, 01:55:18 PM
I hope this car disappoints you so hard and you're desperate to sell in a year or two :lol:
:nono: That is your story line

If it can manage through the winter I see SJ being in this thing for a long time. It's basically an E39 M5 without the late 90s BMW engineering/reliability.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

I love the SS.  It's a bit understated in the sense that whenever I (rarely) see one, I think it's an Impala or Malibu or whichever first, but it always catches my eye because it does have its own extra sexiness and brawn.  I could probably count on one hand how many I've seen IRL.  Solid choice.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 06, 2016, 02:02:59 PM
I love the SS.  It's a bit understated in the sense that whenever I (rarely) see one, I think it's an Impala or Malibu or whichever first, but it always catches my eye because it does have its own extra sexiness and brawn.  I could probably count on one hand how many I've seen IRL.  Solid choice.

The G8 looked so much better though. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on July 06, 2016, 02:45:46 PM

I agree.  Both good looking cars, but yeah, the G8 takes the win for sure.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  on July 06, 2016, 02:45:46 PM

It had better exterior detailing, but the SS has a nicer interior IMHO. The exterior proportions are almost identical.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Char on July 06, 2016, 01:54:19 PM
Good job manning up to a man's car with a man's transmission.

Proud of you son.

Coming from you, I'm sure that mean a lot...........:rolleyes:

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd still recommend a bright and loud color, you know, so you can find it in the mall parking lot.

Char

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 06, 2016, 02:57:02 PM
Coming from you, I'm sure that mean a lot...........:rolleyes:

It should, it's not like I'm 2o6 talking about styling, or Raza talking about cars in general. I'm a credible source with excellent taste, stick around and you might learn something sport.

Besides, it's one less VW fan boy I have to hear drone on about soft touch plastics, and FWD darty steering and flower vases in their cars. 
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Char on July 06, 2016, 03:30:56 PM
It should, it's not like I'm 2o6 talking about styling, or Raza talking about cars in general. I'm a credible source with excellent taste, stick around and you might learn something sport.

Besides, it's one less VW fan boy I have to hear drone on about soft touch plastics, and FWD darty steering and flower vases in their cars. 

I look forward to your toot-o-ledge.

SJ_GTI

Update: No good news unfortunately. According to the dealer he reached out to 15 other dealers and so far 8 of the cars were already sold (no response from the other 7). Gonna keep trying tomorrow, but gotta think the odds are not great at this point. Little disappointed, but will keep my fingers crossed.

Xer0

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 06, 2016, 06:31:14 PM
Update: No good news unfortunately. According to the dealer he reached out to 15 other dealers and so far 8 of the cars were already sold (no response from the other 7). Gonna keep trying tomorrow, but gotta think the odds are not great at this point. Little disappointed, but will keep my fingers crossed.

Man that sucks.  Did you at least get the chance to drive the auto car to see how you like it?

12,000 RPM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Xer0 on July 06, 2016, 07:12:19 PM
Man that sucks.  Did you at least get the chance to drive the auto car to see how you like it?

Yeah, drove GREAT but for me one of the main draws for the SS is the V8/Stickshift combo. Without the 6MT it is not an option I would consider. Even though it drives great and is arguably more agile than my S4 in some ways, ideally I would actually prefer something smaller then my car. I would also prefer something AWD but RWD w/ mechanical LSD isn't too bad. The huge discount is enough to get me to forgive the size and no AWD (bkth of which come with some upsides, TBH) but if manual isn't available I will just stick with my current car.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 06, 2016, 07:12:39 PM
Keep pushing man

Meh, nothing I can do except wait and see (and hope). Too busy at work to consider driving to a distant dealer so I need the local dealer to do the leg work. I agreed to MSRP less the 20% from GM so there is plenty of profit in the deal for them imho.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 06, 2016, 02:51:20 PM
It had better exterior detailing, but the SS has a nicer interior IMHO. The exterior proportions are almost identical.

Oh yeah, the interior of the G8 was total shit. The whole transmission tunnel flexed when my knee pressed against it. Garbage plastic that would be recalled on a child's toy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 06, 2016, 06:31:14 PM

I'd cross my toes for you, but the one is broken, so that hurts. Good luck man.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Can this now be the SS thread?

I actually think the chrome wheels of the 14/15 look better, but that SLIHR car above would look awesome with either blacked out trim and wheels, or brushed trim and wheels.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 68_427 on July 07, 2016, 09:50:49 PM
Can this now be the SS thread?

I guess if you rub my lack of success in getting one in my face it can be.   :evildude:

I actually think the chrome wheels of the 14/15 look better, but that SLIHR car above would look awesome with either blacked out trim and wheels, or brushed trim and wheels.

Neither are ideal IMHO, but I like the 16 wheels a bit better. I am not a fan of chrome wheels in general though. I feel like on this type of car a wheel with a bit of concaveness (is that a word?) would look good.

Raza

I will admit that I'm just enough of a snob to feel weird about driving a Chevy. But I personally wouldn't want a car that big anyway, so the snobbery doesn't have to come into play. :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  on July 08, 2016, 06:31:42 AM
I will admit that I'm just enough of a snob to feel weird about driving a Chevy. But I personally wouldn't want a car that big anyway, so the snobbery doesn't have to come into play. :lol:

I think I am the opposite. I would rather drive a car with a plebian badge if it had everything else I wanted in a car.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 08, 2016, 06:36:37 AM
I think I am the opposite. I would rather drive a car with a plebian badge if it had everything else I wanted in a car.

It's not even that I wouldn't drive a mainstreamer.  I had Volkswagens for 8 or 9 years.  It's specifically Chevrolet.  I don't know why.  I have a weird connotation with them.  I think it's the term "Chevy", which leaves a distinctively rednecky taste in my mouth when I say or hear it.  It wouldn't keep me from a Corvette, since a Corvette is a Corvette and transcends Chevrolet.  I have other reasons to be wary of GM in general, but it's specifically Chevrolets that don't sit well with me.  I would be happy to drive a Ford, for example. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 68_427 on July 05, 2016, 09:42:24 PM
I think they are sorting that out here

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7996434-Can-t-log-into-your-old-account-Please-check-in-here

But you have to make a new account just to post in there I guess...

On the good news front, I was able to finally get my user name working again (via the above link), so there is that.  :lol:

Char

Quote from: Raza  on July 08, 2016, 07:05:47 AM
It's not even that I wouldn't drive a mainstreamer.  I had Volkswagens for 8 or 9 years.  It's specifically Chevrolet.  I don't know why.  I have a weird connotation with them.  I think it's the term "Chevy", which leaves a distinctively rednecky taste in my mouth when I say or hear it.  It wouldn't keep me from a Corvette, since a Corvette is a Corvette and transcends Chevrolet.  I have other reasons to be wary of GM in general, but it's specifically Chevrolets that don't sit well with me.  I would be happy to drive a Ford, for example.

It's because you're a...let me not. This is about a SS, and not about how much of a ninny you are.

Hurry up and get this car OP
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on July 08, 2016, 07:20:58 AM
It's because you're a...let me not. This is about a SS, and not about how much of a ninny you are.

Hurry up and get this car OP
So there aren't any brands you don't have any irrational issues with? (This is a rhetorical question)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2016, 09:37:18 AM
So there aren't any brands you don't have any irrational issues with? (This is a rhetorical question)

I see what you did there.  :lol:

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Saw a rumor on a Chevy SS forum that this sale is being extended to the end of the July. If this is true that should give me plenty of time for either my local dealer to find a trade or for me to just go find another dealer. Keeping my fingers crossed for now...

12,000 RPM

Char

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2016, 09:37:18 AM

You mean rational.
VW as a whole sucks donkey dick. Their cars are not remarkable in any way, they are expensive to buy, maintain and fix - they are epic shit boxes for clueless women and girly men to buy over better Japanese cars.

Pretty much all VWs brands are made for clueless posers who don't know how to even put air in their tires, much less anything about cars.

Sorry some of us here know about cars and enjoy driving them, while some of us want to say silly shit like 'I think the VW Jetta with it 110hp, FWD, undefeatable stability and traction control is more fun to drive than a 350z.'
Yeah.
Get the fuck out of here with your bullshit.

68_427

Same.  Every day I considering trying to test drive one.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no