Guess Its Time For New Wheels

Started by SJ_GTI, June 25, 2016, 09:08:24 AM

Char

Quote from: 68_427 on July 08, 2016, 03:42:23 PM
Same.  Every day I considering trying to test drive one.
It looks like a Malibu, so anonymous - but that's part of the appeal. I like the package as a whole.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

You make me want to buy a Jetta out of spite, and I've never liked Jettas, really.

SJ_GTI

Stopped by the local dealer to pick up my deposit. The manager said GM put a stop sale on the SS so even if they found another dealer willing to trade they couldn't do it. He hadn't heard anything about extending the sale but would keep looking if GM does do it. He seemed to think even if GM was extending the sale they wouldn't announce it until tomorrow.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on July 08, 2016, 03:51:57 PM
You make me want to buy a Jetta out of spite, and I've never liked Jettas, really.

You would only be spiting yourself.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 08, 2016, 04:08:20 PM
Stopped by the local dealer to pick up my deposit. The manager said GM put a stop sale on the SS so even if they found another dealer willing to trade they couldn't do it. He hadn't heard anything about extending the sale but would keep looking if GM does do it. He seemed to think even if GM was extending the sale they wouldn't announce it until tomorrow.

:(
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on July 08, 2016, 03:41:58 PM
You mean rational.
VW as a whole sucks donkey dick. Their cars are not remarkable in any way, they are expensive to buy, maintain and fix - they are epic shit boxes for clueless women and girly men to buy over better Japanese cars.

Pretty much all VWs brands are made for clueless posers who don't know how to even put air in their tires, much less anything about cars.

Sorry some of us here know about cars and enjoy driving them, while some of us want to say silly shit like 'I think the VW Jetta with it 110hp, FWD, undefeatable stability and traction control is more fun to drive than a 350z.'
Yeah.
Get the fuck out of here with your bullshit.
Your verbose nasal whiny posturing is at odds with the manliness you seem desperate to project

Pls stop!
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Char

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2016, 05:01:07 PM
Your verbose nasal whiny posturing is at odds with the manliness you seem desperate to project

Pls stop!

Ha!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Char on July 08, 2016, 11:24:01 PM
Ha!

Yes, that's pretty much what we all think any time you type "VW" here on the forum.  We got it, you have an irrational hatred for a brand that ran over your puppy or whatever.  There is zero reason to keep bringing it up in tons of unrelated threads.
Will

Char

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 09, 2016, 06:04:38 PM
Yes, that's pretty much what we all think any time you type "VW" here on the forum.  We got it, you have an irrational hatred for a brand that ran over your puppy or whatever.  There is zero reason to keep bringing it up in tons of unrelated threads.

Not my fault people have shit taste and say stupid things.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on July 10, 2016, 04:08:19 AM
Not my fault people have shit taste and say stupid things.
It is your fault for ruining countless threads in repeating the same opinion over and over.

Char

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 10, 2016, 09:58:14 AM
It is your fault for ruining countless threads in repeating the same opinion over and over.

It needs to be said.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Char on July 10, 2016, 09:18:02 PM
It needs to be said.

Absolutely doesn't. Your opinion is unwarranted, irrational, and the way you express it is immature, caustic, and disruptive.

Hint: people won't listen to your opinion if you use names or are rude about it.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 11, 2016, 05:27:09 AM
Hint: people won't listen to your opinion if you use names or are rude about it.

Unless you're Trump, apparently.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2016, 09:37:18 AM
So there aren't any brands you don't have any irrational issues with? (This is a rhetorical question)

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Char on July 08, 2016, 03:41:58 PM
You mean rational.
VW as a whole sucks donkey dick. Their cars are not remarkable in any way, they are expensive to buy, maintain and fix - they are epic shit boxes for clueless women and girly men to buy over better Japanese cars.

Pretty much all VWs brands are made for clueless posers who don't know how to even put air in their tires, much less anything about cars.

Sorry some of us here know about cars and enjoy driving them, while some of us want to say silly shit like 'I think the VW Jetta with it 110hp, FWD, undefeatable stability and traction control is more fun to drive than a 350z.'
Yeah.
Get the fuck out of here with your bullshit.

My Jetta had 200hp and defeatable stability and traction control. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Char

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 11, 2016, 05:27:09 AM
Absolutely doesn't. Your opinion is unwarranted, irrational, and the way you express it is immature, caustic, and disruptive.

My opinion is just as valid - no MORE valid that anyone elses because it's based in fact.

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2016, 08:57:18 AM
My Jetta had 200hp and defeatable stability and traction control. 

It had a weazy 2.0turd with defeatable traction control probably. Turning off any stability control (if possible) wouldn't save it from being an understeering FWD matchbox.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Char on July 11, 2016, 11:31:25 PM
My opinion is just as valid - no MORE valid that anyone elses because it's based in fact.

Learn to read. I said nothing about validity.

And learn what the word "fact" means.
Will

Raza

It had a weazy 2.0turd with defeatable traction control probably. Turning off any stability control (if possible) wouldn't save it from being an understeering FWD matchbox.

Okie dokie.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CaminoRacer

12,000 RPM

And blowing four figure on bolt ons and dyno tunes won't stop you from getting culo blasted and reamed in a straight line by said 2.0T equipped car with a $500 tune. Hell a current GTI would walk away from whatever the end result of your build will be... stock. Esp with you driving :lol: So I'm not sure how the 2.0T is a "turd" when it whoops your engine, stock or tuned, six ways to Sunday. But we all have our quirks I guess :zzz:

AutobahnSHO

Will

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Xer0

This thread went to shit rather quickly.

Char

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 12, 2016, 04:39:44 PM
And blowing four figure on bolt ons and dyno tunes won't stop you from getting culo blasted and reamed in a straight line by said 2.0T equipped car with a $500 tune. Hell a current GTI would walk away from whatever the end result of your build will be... stock. Esp with you driving :lol: So I'm not sure how the 2.0T is a "turd" when it whoops your engine, stock or tuned, six ways to Sunday. But we all have our quirks I guess :zzz:

How much power do you think those 2.0turds have with a tune? A friend of mine had his MK5 Golf GTI with a APR stage 2 tune (and bolt ons) and did a spectacular 231whp. Pretty much on par with my old car with a tune and intake manifold.

2o6

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on July 13, 2016, 11:06:07 AM
How much power do you think those 2.0turds have with a tune? A friend of mine had his MK5 Golf GTI with a APR stage 2 tune (and bolt ons) and did a spectacular 231whp. Pretty much on par with my old car with a tune and intake manifold.
Not going to shit up this thread any further, much more fun to do so in your build ;)

SJ_GTI

Well, for anyone still reading, here is an update on my Jetta's situation...

This morning I got a call from my dad that my wheels were done. I went out at lunch to grab some cash to pay for them and...lo and behold, my TPMS light goes off. At the bank I am reading 34.5 lbs, so not too bad, but definitely too low. I get what I need and head back to work. I check again at work and it is now down to 32 lbs, so definitely a slow leak (probably ran over a nail or screw or something).

Anyway since my wheels are in I call the shop and let him know I need to pick them up ASAP. When I got there (an hour or so later) they hadn't mounted the new tires yet, so the owner (friends with my dad since before I was born, my younger brother was the best man at his son's wedding, etc...) said he'd go and mount/balance them for me. Anyway when he is balancing the first repaired wheel (and even after he gets it balanced) there is still a little wobble. Barely noticable but definitely there. He said it will probably not be noticable and it may have just been from the manufacturer that way. Anyway he then gets to balancing the second repaired wheel...and same thing. So I am like OK...maybe they were always like that. Then he wants to rebalance the wheels that didn't need to be repaired and...they are both perfect as is. Not even the slightest hint of a wobble.

So crap. I am going to go ahead and try the wheels out and see how they feel. Just got back home and getting ready to put them back on the car. The front of the wheels look great, FWIW. On the back you can kind of see where they did the repairs. After I put them on I am going to get the air perfectly balanced on all the tires and then do a highway blast to see how they feel. Will post a follow up later...

CaminoRacer

34.5 is low? What's it supposed to be?

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 14, 2016, 02:01:29 PM

40, I think.  They're big tires. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 14, 2016, 02:01:29 PM

41 according to the manual, but 36 is considered acceptable. Point being is it went from 40/41 down to 34.5 in the space of a few hours.

When I got the winter wheels off I did indeed have a screw embedded in the offending tire (right rear). To my surprised also had one in the another tire (right front).

Anyway, got the summer tires back on. Getting the repaired wheels on was a bit of a bitch. I am guessing they recoat the wheel (paint? clearcoat?) so the center hole/bore was a bitch to fit on. Normally the wheel slides right on to the hub/spigot, but I had to really fight to get it on. Took it out for a ride...felt perfect on the more rural country roads, was able to do short stints of ~65-70. Once I got on to the highway it also felt fine. It was past 5:00 PM so the commuter traffic was out so I could only get short stints up to about 90 and was able to cruise at 80-85 pretty steadily. Felt perfect as far as I could tell. I might try and head out to the highway this weekend to see if I can get enough open space to get triple digits but I suspect it will be fine.

edit:

Here is a shot from after i got home. Car is a bit dirty. The wheel on the back is a repaired wheel, the one on the front is one that didn't need repair.