Awesome
5 (45.5%)
Indifferent
5 (45.5%)
Hideous
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

veeman

Tons of posts on this forum on Mustang vs Camaro.  Very few on the Challenger.  Yeah from a sporty driving perspective it's probably too big and heavy.  Stylistically I think it looks the best.  Wondering what other's take is.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CaminoRacer

Stylistically it's too big and heavy looking. It's not bad looking, but it's just not as exciting as it could be on a smaller, lighter platform.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

It's probably the best looking from any angle but straight back. But it falls short on the other stuff.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

I've always been fond of the Challenger. Comparing a 2012 V6 Challenger, a 2010 Camaro SS, and a 2013 Mustang GT, I found the Challenger the smoothest and most comfortable cruiser. Those are the only examples I've driven. Love to have a Scat Pack Challenger.

Byteme

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 26, 2016, 08:27:08 AM
Stylistically it's too big and heavy looking. It's not bad looking, but it's just not as exciting as it could be on a smaller, lighter platform.

Compared to the original Challenger/Barracuda it certainly does look like the high school prom queen that got old and gained 40 lbs., but still tries to dress like an 18 year old.

68_427

The 392 and Hellcat sound amazeballs
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

All of the original pony cars are visually lighter and smaller, but the gulf between the original Challenger and the current one is the biggest. IMO the OG Challenger might be the best looking pony car of all time... the current one is definitely the worst of the modern era. Styling wise I definitely prefer the Charger.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on June 26, 2016, 06:30:49 PM
I've always been fond of the Challenger. Comparing a 2012 V6 Challenger, a 2010 Camaro SS, and a 2013 Mustang GT, I found the Challenger the smoothest and most comfortable cruiser. Those are the only examples I've driven. Love to have a Scat Pack Challenger.

Scat pack?  I'm not driving around in a car covered in shit. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

I wasn't fond of them at all at first, but they've grown on me.  Certain angles just make them look so heavy though.

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 27, 2016, 07:19:35 AM
All of the original pony cars are visually lighter and smaller, but the gulf between the original Challenger and the current one is the biggest. IMO the OG Challenger might be the best looking pony car of all time... the current one is definitely the worst of the modern era. Styling wise I definitely prefer the Charger.

That's interesting you prefer the look of the Charger over the Challenger.  I've always found the Charger and Magnum wagons kind of ugly.  In coupe form (Challenger), it looks cool however.  Probably has to do with the Dukes of Hazzard Dodge Charger and Daisy Duke Plymouth Road Runner that I used to fawn over as an elementary school kid.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 29, 2016, 10:45:42 AM
I wasn't fond of them at all at first, but they've grown on me.  Certain angles just make them look so heavy though.

That's because they are heavy.

Proportionally speaking, the Challenger is nearly 6" taller than the original (over 10%), a fraction of an inch narrower, and about 6" longer (3%).  In terms of length, it roughly splits the difference between the classic Challenger and Charger.  The huge difference in height spoils the proportions more than anything.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

The new ones have huge side skirts as well, instead of the neat tucked-in sides of the classic muscle cars.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: veeman on June 29, 2016, 11:07:21 AM
That's interesting you prefer the look of the Charger over the Challenger.  I've always found the Charger and Magnum wagons kind of ugly.  In coupe form (Challenger), it looks cool however.  Probably has to do with the Dukes of Hazzard Dodge Charger and Daisy Duke Plymouth Road Runner that I used to fawn over as an elementary school kid.

Oh yeah, I loved Daisy Duke.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2016, 12:15:37 PM
Oh yeah, I loved Daisy Duke.

Yeah dude.  She used to wear some real racy stuff.  I don't know if her shorts would fly on regular television today, particularly at the 8:00 pm time slot.  Too bad after Bo drove her Plymouth off a cliff they gave her a lame ass Jeep.

GoCougs

I'm indifferent. I was never a huge fan of the original E-body version ('70-'74) so that's a lot of it. Put all three pony cars together though is a force to be reckoned with.

Raza

Quote from: veeman on June 29, 2016, 12:34:22 PM
Yeah dude.  She used to wear some real racy stuff.  I don't know if her shorts would fly on regular television today, particularly at the 8:00 pm time slot.  Too bad after Bo drove her Plymouth off a cliff they gave her a lame ass Jeep.

I think her clothes would fly, actually.  Really short shorts, but you see a lot of revealing stuff, especially on cable.  I don't watch a lot of network, so I don't know what standards and practices are for them. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 29, 2016, 11:16:08 AM
That's because they are heavy.

Proportionally speaking, the Challenger is nearly 6" taller than the original (over 10%), a fraction of an inch narrower, and about 6" longer (3%).  In terms of length, it roughly splits the difference between the classic Challenger and Charger.  The huge difference in height spoils the proportions more than anything.
I'll bet a lot of that height translates to the shoulder line too. The Neo Challenger is just a big moose of a car.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

I was in High School when the 70 Cuda and Challenger came out. I remember thinking how modern looking they were, both inside and outside. And the new color, Plum Crazy- a metallic purple. Trippy!  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Saw one with some funky horseshoe shaped front parking lights the other day, super sick!!
Will

veeman

Quote from: shp4man on June 29, 2016, 01:51:54 PM
I was in High School when the 70 Cuda and Challenger came out. I remember thinking how modern looking they were, both inside and outside. And the new color, Plum Crazy- a metallic purple. Trippy!  :lol:

The color palette they currently have available for the Challenger is pretty sweet.  I don't think there's another car out there in the U.S., outside of exotics, with so much variety.  They just need a 70's brown to make it complete.