What IS your fuel economy?

Started by 2o6, July 11, 2016, 09:36:49 AM

Yawn

My 328d wagon is at 44.5 MPG based on 45k miles. The drive into work this morning i averaged 56.1 mpg on a 39 mile commute. The drive home will be about 43mpg.

MrH

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 12, 2016, 09:01:04 PM
Wait a minute, how many s2k people are here now??

Oh yeah, to contribute to the thread:

Caddy: 18 MPG
Bike: 50ish MPG

3 I think? Me, Ro (technically his dad but he does the bulk of the driving of it), and Charlie? I think that's it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Porsche is 28-30 hwy, XTerra is ?? city. I thought I had gone 100 miles on a 20 gal tank of gas last fill up, until I realized that disconnecting the battery resets the trip odometer. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

I get 16-18 mixed in the Tacoma. Usually it's 17-17.5, but I'll still see a higher or lower tank occasionally depending on my driving that week or two. 

Edit:  Looks like my truck is rated for 17/21, so I'm basically meeting EPA.  It'll do 19-20mpg at 60-65mph, but on a freeway doing 75mph it's more like 17.

With gas so cheap, I hardly even think about it. I haven't actually filled up/tracked mileage at all this month, just threw $20 in a couple times, which gets me a solid half tank with the fuel light on.  I knew going from the 28+mpg mixed A4 to a truck was gonna be a big drop, but I also don't have to buy premium anymore, which is always a decent amount more expensive around here, 60-75cents more per gallon.

TBR

Low ~20s on the Subie. Which I guess is about right, rated 19/25. But, still shocking for how small and slow it is.

Vinsanity

Quote from: MrH on July 13, 2016, 09:05:05 PM
3 I think? Me, Ro (technically his dad but he does the bulk of the driving of it), and Charlie? I think that's it.

Nice...I do have to admit I window shop for these on autotrader every now and then when I get those nostalgic feels

cawimmer430

Quote from: Yawn on July 13, 2016, 12:00:25 PM
My 328d wagon is at 44.5 MPG based on 45k miles. The drive into work this morning i averaged 56.1 mpg on a 39 mile commute. The drive home will be about 43mpg.

I had no idea that BMW diesels were available in the US for the 3-Series. Goes to show how out of touch I am with the latest or past developments. I've pretty much abstained from reading automotive news for years now.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

autokomppania

With 11 000 miles driven, consumption is pretty much 9l/km even, so 26,14 mpg.

Not bad for big car and once the winter speed come, I think it will even drop a bit (in terms of l/km)

CALL_911

You have a 118i? That's pretty bad

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

autokomppania

XC90 D5

Lähetetty minun E2333 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

12,000 RPM

Just got my alignment done this weekend... been getting ~25MPG steadily, but that's with running A/C all the time and occasional 90+ jaunts. Hoping with a lighter foot and tires pointing the same direction I can get back up to ~27-28MPG which is about what the EPA promised.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Byteme

A couple of weeks ago we went to San Francisco and back.  4,200 miles with lots of crawling up narrow mountain roads, like on the way to the Lick Observatory and Yosemite, and lots of two lane roads; we tend to go off of the interstates frequently to see the sights.  The top was down for maybe half of those miles and when it wasn't the air was on.   

The EPA says 17 city, 25 highway and 20 combined.  We averaged 28.5 for the entire trip.

giant_mtb

My last tank was 17.8 miles per gallon with very mixed driving including lots of putzing around in the woods.  Thing is pretty consistent.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CLKid on August 08, 2016, 10:52:07 AM
A couple of weeks ago we went to San Francisco and back.  4,200 miles with lots of crawling up narrow mountain roads, like on the way to the Lick Observatory and Yosemite, and lots of two lane roads; we tend to go off of the interstates frequently to see the sights.  The top was down for maybe half of those miles and when it wasn't the air was on.   

The EPA says 17 city, 25 highway and 20 combined.  We averaged 28.5 for the entire trip.

That's pretty impressive/awesome.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TBR on July 13, 2016, 10:14:21 PM
Low ~20s on the Subie. Which I guess is about right, rated 19/25. But, still shocking for how small and slow it is.

dat AWD and the triple-reinforced pillars...
Will

AutobahnSHO

I get 16mpgeez in Odyssey toodling to work and back, got 24mpg on a highway trip (loaded with people) last weekend.
Will

2o6

With Lyft driving, i'm averaging a solid 29-32MPG. That's a mix of idling, freeway stints, and semi-aggressive city driving. I tend to drive more aggressive when picking up fares.

Byteme

[quote ion author=giant_mtb link=topic=32778.msg2224678#msg2224678 date=1470724903]
That's pretty impressive/awesome.
[/quote]

We topped off the tank at a gas station in Yosemite NP, then drove downhill 5 miles into the valley for dinner.  Mileage was pegged at 99.9 during that downhill run.   

mzziaz

55 mpg hwy on the Megane. Diesel
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

2o6

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on August 09, 2016, 11:49:02 AM
Im jealous

Not to detract from that mileage (55 MPG) you've got to remember it's a diesel so the cost of getting those MPGs are higher as well. 

Fuel cost per mile is a better measure, IMO.  But is harder to use for comparison since the cost of fuel is so variable, both over time and over different geographic locations and stations.   

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CLKid on August 09, 2016, 12:00:38 PM
Not to detract from that mileage (55 MPG) you've got to remember it's a diesel so the cost of getting those MPGs are higher as well. 

Fuel cost per mile is a better measure, IMO.  But is harder to use for comparison since the cost of fuel is so variable, both over time and over different geographic locations and stations.   

Fun fact:   Diesel is cheaper to manufacture than gasoline, and in Europe it is generally less expensive than gasoline.

--I assume the US Fed hits diesel higher because of the higher impact on road repair big trucks make.
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 10, 2016, 07:43:11 AM
Fun fact:   Diesel is cheaper to manufacture than gasoline, and in Europe it is generally less expensive than gasoline.

--I assume the US Fed hits diesel higher because of the higher impact on road repair big trucks make.

That drove a change in the excise tax on diesel fuel in the 1980s which accounts for about 6 cents of the difference.

The main reason it's higher because of supply vs demand.  Refineries are optimized to produce a certain amount of diesel.  That can be changed slightly with relatively minimal cost but any significant change is expensive and time consuming to alter.  Proportionally, sales of diesel is increasing relative to gasoline; about 3 times a fast.  Also the cost of transporting and handling diesel with reduced sulfur content adds a sizable amount to the cost.  Also seasonality is a factor; farm use of diesel goes up in the fall when driving demand for gasoline traditionally declines, which makes the difference larger during that period.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 10, 2016, 07:43:11 AM

It's actually the ultra-low sulfur content diesel we switched to a few years ago. Before that, diesel was cheaper.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 10, 2016, 08:43:29 AM
It's actually the ultra-low sulfur content diesel we switched to a few years ago. Before that, diesel was cheaper.
That's only part of it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CLKid on August 10, 2016, 08:46:27 AM
That's only part of it.

That seemed to be the tipping point though.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator