FJ Cruiser Test

Started by Catman, December 26, 2005, 06:53:51 PM

93JC

Must have been a pretty damn unpopular option.

Raza

Like vocal cords on women.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

QuoteGrow up.
It was almost 2AM and the board was dead.  I had to say something.  I obviously had nothing left to contribute to the thread, so that's what you got.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

QuoteGrow up.
It was almost 2AM and the board was dead.  I had to say something.  I obviously had nothing left to contribute to the thread, so that's what you got.
Psilos has clearly never dealt with women, or he'd be spiteful too.  ;)  :lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Rupert

Maybe the women I deal with are of a higher caliber than the ones you deal with. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

mazda6er

QuoteMaybe the women I deal with are of a higher caliber than the ones you deal with. ;)
I'd be almost certain that you're correct. Were do you find them?   :D  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SVT666

QuoteMaybe the women I deal with are of a higher caliber than the ones you deal with. ;)
NOT in the bar  :lol:  

SVT666

I think the FJ is kinda wierd looking.  I hope it looks tougher in person then it does in pictures, because in pictures it looks a little...soft.

Tom

QuoteI think the FJ is kinda wierd looking.  I hope it looks tougher in person then it does in pictures, because in pictures it looks a little...soft.
I would be overjoyed if it just looked plain.

Rupert

NOT in the bar  :lol:
Depends on the bar...

TBR

QuoteJust trying to cover all the bases for the non-US people.  Besides, you couldn't get a diesel in the US "Pickup" after the mid 80s or so, while it remained common overseas in the Hilux.

What do you think about the Xterra?
You couldn't get a diesel in the US whatsoever, if I remember correctly.
In any case, up here Toyota doesn't even sell the Land Cruiser anymore.

I think the Xterra is essentially the same formula of cheesy looks and marketing in order to appeal to douchebags who think it's cool, just not quite as vulgar as the FJ Cruiser. Catman's right in noting the FJ Cruiser has absolutely no advantage over the Xterra.
I am surprised to see you talk so poorly of the Xterra considering it is the closest thing to the Cherokee that is currently available.  

ifcar

93JC will be happy to tell you that he only respects one current SUV, and the rest are worthless pretenders.  

Catman

There's nothing wrong with the XTerra.  It's got more capability than 99% of the SUV's out there.

ifcar

I would personally agree.  

SVT666

QuoteThere's nothing wrong with the XTerra.  It's got more capability than 99% of the SUV's out there.
I really like the X-Terra (especially since I'm an off-roader), but I am also a family man and the X-Terra is only good for one of those people...not both.  The back doors are so small that it makes getting in and out difficult for anyone older then 12.  If I had teenagers right now, there is no way I would even give the X-Terra a second look.  Unfortunately the only SUV's on the market that are great off-road AND can haul 4 adults comfortably and all their luggage (and doesn't look like a cartoon [H3]) cost $80,000.  That's why I'll be buying crew cab pickups for a long time...even if I didn't require a pickup (which I do).

93JC

Quote93JC will be happy to tell you that he only respects one current SUV, and the rest are worthless pretenders.
Two, wienerdink. TJ and Defender.  :lol:

There isn't anything "wrong" with the Xterra per se, but I find the whole premise of it: a Pathfinder designed to appeal to "outdoorsy" people (read: yuppie scum), utterly revolting.

The fact that it has "more capability than 99% of the SUV's out there" (which is true) is a sad reflection of the ineptitude of the today's competition: the Xterra, in the grand scheme of things, is not particularly good offroad.

ifcar

I meant on sale in the US. That leaves one that you give a passing grade.

It would be like saying that the Lexus LS430 is the only quiet car, that the Lotus Elise is the only car that handles well, or that the only cars that are fast enough cost $200,000 or more.  

93JC

The difference in offroad ability between a TJ and anything else is enormous. The difference in quietness between an LS430 and its competition is not nearly as large, nor is the difference in handling prowess between an Elise and other sports cars.

Catman

I think when you're talking SUV's going off road most tend to think of other SUV's.  Jeeps (Wranglers) are in a complete class by themselves.  

For the most part I think the off-road talk (from buyers and manufacturers) is stressed way too much.  We all know that most never go off road and those that do see very little.  It's talked about too much.

Hey, even Sequoia owners (Stargazer from TundraSolutions.com) venture off road occasionally. :D

Looks like some fun!  Beautiful Vancouver.  I need to get some of those BFG's on my ride.

93JC

QuoteI think when you're talking SUV's going off road most tend to think of other SUV's.  Jeeps (Wranglers) are in a complete class by themselves.
Exactly, because everything else sucks!

QuoteFor the most part I think the off-road talk (from buyers and manufacturers) is stressed way too much.? We all know that most never go off road and those that do see very little.? It's talked about too much.

Most likely. But then I end up asking myself a question: "If you [a hypothetical SUV buyer with no care for offroad ability] want an SUV with the capability of a car, why not just buy a car?"

Cars are much better at being cars than SUvs are at pretending to be cars.

QuoteHey, even Sequoia owners (Stargazer from TundraSolutions.com) venture off road occasionally. :D

Amusingly there are four other vehicles besides the Sequoia in the two pictures, and three are Jeeps. :lol:

(None of the three are Wranglers either.)

QuoteLooks like some fun!?

It is fun.

QuoteBeautiful Vancouver.

That must be on Vancouver Island, or well to the north of Vancouver, 'cause while I haven't been to BC I'm pretty sure Vancouver looks nothing like that.  :lol:  

Catman

Beautiful area.  Ever been there Jeep?

93JC

Quote...I haven't been to BC ....
;)  

93JC

Well, okay, technically I was a passenger in a car driving through BC from Montana to Alberta, so I have been on British Columbian land, so to say I've never been to BC is a lie.

But I've never been to the coast.

Catman

Quote...I haven't been to BC ....
;)
I was trying to find out the exact area but he didn't specify.

If I was going on a trip like that I think I'd nix the running boards.  They actually come off pretty easily.

93JC

QuoteIf I was going on a trip like that I think I'd nix the running boards.  They actually come off pretty easily.
I was going to make a disparaging remark earlier about Sequoia owners not knowing to nix the running boards, but decided against it.  :P

In any case, pushing the Sequoia far enough (difficulty-wise) would probably result in them... "being removed for you".  :lol:  

Catman

QuoteIf I was going on a trip like that I think I'd nix the running boards.  They actually come off pretty easily.
I was going to make a disparaging remark earlier about Sequoia owners not knowing to nix the running boards, but decided against it.  :P

In any case, pushing the Sequoia far enough (difficulty-wise) would probably result in them... "being removed for you".  :lol:
Exactly. :P   I think they're like $600 a piece to replace so the 30 minutes taken to remove them doesn't seem too taxing.  Not that the Sequoia is an ideal off roader but at least it has a solid axle.  It's too big for a lot of trails.  Every year I go way up in the mountains in ME, nothing too crazy.  Mostly crappy logging roads, etc.  The kids enjoy it though. :rockon:  

Raza

QuoteMost likely. But then I end up asking myself a question: "If you [a hypothetical SUV buyer with no care for offroad ability] want an SUV with the capability of a car, why not just buy a car?"

I said something like that once.  Then half the forum wanted me killed.

:ph34r:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

QuoteMost likely. But then I end up asking myself a question: "If you [a hypothetical SUV buyer with no care for offroad ability] want an SUV with the capability of a car, why not just buy a car?"

Well, they obviously didn't want you dead very badly, or they have very poor hitmen.  :P  :D  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

What we said (at least what I said) was that some people only want an SUV, and for those who don't need actual SUV abilities find what they want in car-based SUVs and crossovers.